Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Do We Score More Goals At Home?

Looking at the League table at the moment , i am happy , when i look at the goals scored at home compared to a lot of other teams it is very poor, and cause for concern ( or is that the pessimism in me?) , a lot has been said about teams coming to the valley and ' Parking the bus ' so to speak , but surely except for us, every other team done this , Bournemouth do not seem to have a lot of problems playing at home , points wise we are 1.77 points overall in the league per game , last season for the whole season we were 1.88 , so although we are 2nd and i'm happy, we are going to have to pick up a lot more wins to improve our points tally on last season.

Looking at the league tables on the Charlton website , last season we lost less games (1) less than Norwich (Eventual champions - 11 Points ahead of us).The main difference was the fact we had 14 home wins , they had 17 home wins , but had way too many draws.

I do believe that this team is an improving team , that players performances are improving , although the Rovers result was disappointing , at least we had a go , we just need to take our chances when they come along , i thought we were 'at it' from the 1st minute against Rovers , if we are more positive we will pick up more wins , rather than draws , do we need to get another GOALSCORING Forward on loan in January , i hope one or two of the kids get to play v Luton , and make a positive name for them selves , regardless of the result.

Comments

• There's lies damn lies and statistics. We had a similar thread a few week back with somebody pointing out our home league goals (7) was worst in league whilst away we had the best record (20). At that point we had played one game less at home and only one since the turning point Brighton game. Since the Brighton game we have scored 4 home league goals in 2 games including 3 in our last outing. We have 3 players who have contributed 6 or more goals. I'm not so sure the problem is as big as folk are making out......
  • How Do We Score More Goals At Home? Good question, which I have put a lot of thought into.

Personally I would shoot the opposition goalkeeper quite soon after kick off.
  • The bloke at the front wants to kick the round thingy into the basket thing at one end of the ground.
  • Maybe a diagram would help ? unfortunately I have lost the lead in my pencil, not figuratively of course !
  • We need to take more 'out of the blue' shots at home, from the games I'm watching of us there's only a very small handful of players that are willing to shoot outside the area. Racon of late, Wagstaff etc. and when they do, they are very usually good shots!

just need to test the keepers more, we'd have beat Rovers comfortably if they had a worse keeper in the nets.

I'm sure we'll hit goals soon, but aslong as we don't concede lots of them too.
  • We have the fourth best home record in League 1 (in points per game), behind Bournemouth, Brighton and MK Dons. Two of those teams have dire away records.

As it turns out, we have the fourth best away record in League 1.

Last season, Leeds were 6th best at home and 2nd best away.
  • I would be happy if we win 1-0 every home match.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I would be happy if we win 1-0 every home match.

Or 5-4
  • [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I would be happy if we win every home match.

Agree
  • Unfortunately we appear to be best when the opposition takes the game to us as evidenced by the fact that we have scored just 15 goals from 13 games at home but have netted no less than 29 from 14 away matches. Clearly, we lack the guile to break the opposition down at home but have the pace to hit them on the counter away.

The onus is always on the home team to entertain but, as has already been said on this thread, I'm sure we would accept getting out of this League if it meant winning 1-0 at home every week. The issue comes as to how you change that mindset and mode of play when you go behind at home. Really not sure with our players that we have the capability to do that, particularly as we are lacking, in the centre of the park, someone who sees a defence splitting pass and our wide players (and by that I include our full backs as well as wingers) don't deliver enough quality crosses.

The positive aspect is that this Division is the weakest it has been in donkey's years. For the team in second place to have dropped 27 points out of 60 rather says it all.

So, as long as we maintain some semblance of form we should be there or there abouts. And if we can bring in just one or two players come January promotion should be there for the taking.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]We have the fourth best home record in League 1 (in points per game), behind Bournemouth, Brighton and MK Dons. Two of those teams have dire away records.

As it turns out, we have the fourth best away record in League 1.

Last season, Leeds were 6th best at home and 2nd best away.

Think you have a good point here actually. Instead of just lumping the ball upfield every minute, they should indeed have some more shots and not try walk it in.
  • Not playing Shit would be a start (How many games have we actually impressed at home?) Shooting and or heading at the goal would also help (Not a single one on target yesterday).
  • central midfield not good enough on the ball possibly??
  • From what ive seen of us this season we are appaling at keeping the ball. Our fullbacks love a clip forward and semedo and racon seem to feed on second balls rather than having it played into their feet. Benson i feel sorry for, he hardly ever gets to link up play due the it being played over his head all game.

Away from home, teams go at us and it stretches the game, allowing us more space going forward. At home, our ball retention is awful, so we never drag teams out of position.

Maybe a bad example, but look at Arsenal. They keep the ball for long periods, sometimes without even going forward.....but what it does is draws the opposition out of position and they are able to get it into the strikers feet and have midfielders running in behind.

Be interested to see our possesion stats at home compared to other teams. BBC said yesterday that Walsall had 56% of the possesion. Thats the team that were bottom and away from home.

If you dont have the ball, you wont score goals.
  • great post ValleyGary

We seem to treat Benson as a 'target man' and just smash balls up to him !
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]great post ValleyGary

We seem to treat Benson as a 'target man' and just smash balls up to him !
    And that's clearly something he is not.

Benson I'd say is the most dangerous striker we have inside the box, but probably offers the least outside of it.

That's not to say he offers nothing, he controls the ball and passes it on, works hard and wins the odd header. That doesn't worry defenders though like an (on form) Anyinsah or Sodje can. Not seen the best of Abbott yet but he's shown occasionally he's more skilful than Benson and of course he's more physical.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Maybe a bad example, but look at Arsenal. They keep the ball for long periods, sometimes without even going forward.....but what it does is draws the opposition out of position and they are able to get it into the strikers feet and have midfielders running in behind.

That's how Brighton got to the top of the league, to give you a better example.
  • Yep, i'll take your word for Brighton...i wasnt at the valley when they beat us.

I dont want this to turn into another parky bashing thread, but he and is coaching staff need to address this. Surely they must work on passeges of play in training, how to get the ball from the back and work it forward....however during a game he seems content with francis lofting 60 yard passes straight onto their centre-halves head.

Possibly why the crowd has become so hostile at the valley. If we see the team trying to play in the correct manner then the support will follow. I dont think we have got to a stage where the fans think the players arent commited to the cause but we can only put up with other teams playing us off the park on our own patch for so long.
  • blimey..........where do I start ????

There are a number of reasons why we are one of the lowest scoring (home) teams in this league, starting at:

1) having two central midfielders who don't run with the ball
    2) wide men who can't cross
    3) strikers who don't shoot - either inside or outside the box
    4) stikers who can't head the ball
    5) starting off too defensive - we didn't play with 2 up front when defending a xorner until the last 10 mins - why not start like this ?

we score more away because we are better on the counter attack.
  • edited July 2011
    Sincerely hope we score loads more at home this season.some of the things you raised Golf have been addressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Where are all the Racon and Semedo admirers? Just like a few views on what they are making of the new signings and whether you would prefer to still have them instead. Not trying to be a told you so merchant obviously but given some of the 'discussions' we had about them on here, it's interesting to know what people think although obviously we will have a better idea in a few months time. Does seem that Semedo is taking a while to get the deal he wants elsewhere and looks like Racon will be a squad player in a team likely to be sliding down the Championship this year. Just asking - any views?  
  • central midfield not good enough on the ball possibly??
    I take your point.
  • I'm not going to lie or hide away, but I am still a big Semedo admirer. I feel he could still do a good job for us next season whether that's in defensive midfield or in central defence. The new signings are without a doubt much better than what we had last season and and much better than Racon so yes I am pleased and excited about them.

I still believe Semedo is a good player, a hard working honest professional and given the right coaching to develop his game, which Powell was doing by trying to make him more into a box to box midfielder, he could become a key player for a club, whether that's us or someone else. He will leave and I wish him all the best for the future. But now we must look to the future and I agree that we can only really progress with the current midfield we have and not really with Semedo. Onwards and upwards from now on.

Up the Addicks!