Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lowry on his way in?

TELTEL
edited January 2011 in Rumours
Aston Villa youngster Shane Lowry is set to seal a loan move this month, with a number of clubs chasing his signature, skysports.com understands.

Championship and League One clubs are showing an interest in the highly-rated 21-year-old, who has been called into the full Australia squad.

Lowry has previously spent time with Plymouth and Leeds, and is now set to gain further first-team experience away from Villa Park.

Skysports.com understands that Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday are the two clubs leading the chase to land the young central defender.

Lowry, who is yet to play for Australia, was named in their provisional World Cup squad last summer

Comments

• More from Slater too....

CHARLTON’S new owners are confident they could make their first moves in the transfer market by the end of this week, writes Richard Cawley.

Brixton-born businessman Tony Jimenez, who bought the club along with lawyer Michael Slater on New Year’s Eve, has already discussed potential targets with manager Phil Parkinson.

Jimenez was formerly in charge of player recruitment at Newcastle and has extensive contacts, including England boss Fabio Capello. His knowledge of talent in Spain and South America could allow the Addicks to pick up some hidden gems.

Chairman Slater also hinted that his partner’s connections may also lead to loan deals from Premier League clubs.

He said: “I read some comments on the fans’ forum that we’ll be making a £750,000 bid for Bradley Wright-Phillips at Plymouth but I simply don’t know where these things come from.

“I hope by the end of this week that there could be other announcements that could be made.

“We need to also be clever about loanee signings as well, that’s where Tony’s contacts are going to be crucial.

“Not too many Premier League clubs want to send out players below the Championship but we feel we might be able to use Tony’s contacts and secure some loanees.”

See today's South London Press for the full interview with Slater.

Follow us on Twitter - @SLPsport
  • Duh - it's Brendan not Bradley. Everyone knows that!
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]“Not too many Premier League clubs want to send out players below the Championship but we feel we might be able to use Tony’s contacts and secure some loanees.”

Well, I hope Mr Slater has watched what happened at Preston and realised that Prem managers loan their players to managers and their team that they trust and rate. Tony Jiminez may have all the contacts in the world but he's not a 'football man'.
  • The Jeff Vetere links could be helping us with this one.
  • What forums does Mr Slater read then.
  • A left back / left sided centre back , would this mean Fry returns ?
  • Mirror is today saying Lowry should be joining squad till end of season if we can agree terms.
  • Supposedly a very good young centre half. Im looking forward to this if true.
  • was at leeds last year, not great last year, leeds fans didnt warm to him a bit of the pace wouldnt be too happy if he comes, watched him a few times and cant see him making a massive impact
  • I've heard there is a good left back called youga, could be worth a look at. Played well for scunthorp I think! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: pioneer[/cite]I've heard there is a good left back called youga, could be worth a look at. Played well for scunthorp I think! :-)

Unfortunately footballers require both knees to be working.
  • Not sure we need him as Fry is now staying another month at least.

Can't see us signing another LB and even though we do need to strengthen at CB, expect us to sign a more experienced CB, rather than someone who can play either CB/LB.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite] expect us to sign a more experienced CB, rather than someone who can play either CB/LB.

personally would say we are covered for experienced centre back and require a bit of pace in the backline
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]expect us to sign a more experienced CB, rather than someone who can play either CB/LB.

personally would say we are covered for experienced centre back and require a bit of pace in the backline

I do not mean another 30 something, just someone who has played at CB for a fair bit of their career. Lowry I think is predominantly a LB, also depends on Jon Fortune as his contract is up this month.

If Fortune departs, we look a little short there.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Mirror is today saying Lowry should be joining squad till end of season if we can agree terms.

I can't see how we can possibly bring any players in, even on loan, until we have a new manager.

No point bringing a new player in if the new boss is not going to rate or play him.

We need the right boss but we don't have a lot of time to play with.
  • Wouldnt be the first time its happened though Tony. I think Fortune is shot and Lllera isnt rated, so only really leaves us Doherty who is a bit inconsistent and Dailly......if this bloke can play left back as well, then great, Maybe Fry will return to the Hammers in Feb.....we dont really have cover....Jackson is never a left back.
  • edited January 2011
    Even with retaining Fry we need a left back , remember Llera is left footed so I'd see Lowry as a potential replacement for him also . If Fry returns to the Hammers I would want another left back in addition to Lowry
  • [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Wouldnt be the first time its happened though Tony. I think Fortune is shot and Lllera isnt rated, so only really leaves us Doherty who is a bit inconsistent and Dailly......if this bloke can play left back as well, then great, Maybe Fry will return to the Hammers in Feb.....we dont really have cover....Jackson is never a left back.

Very true, it has happened before but players don't like moving until they know who they'll be playing for!!!

He might turn up and find out we have appointed Frank Farina!
  • now that would be comic gold on here!
  • According to Sky Sports News feed he has joined Sheffield United on loan until the end of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah that deal has been completed along with the very useful Joe Mattock joining them too.