Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can I make it from Gatwick

edited January 2011 in Match Day Travel
Hi All.

New to the forum, 4 decades with Charlton.

I've been living abroad for years now so only make a couple of games a season.

Am coming over for the Brentford game on the 12th of March.

Q - I have 2 flight options into Gatwick thet day. One gets me in at 7.30am which means getting up at 4.30 to travel and will be knackered later, or there is a flight arriving at 1.30pm. Do you think i would make it to the match on the train? I will have no luggage and can still leg it when needed.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• No to the later flight. Taking a right risk that the flight is on time and even hoping that you get the right rail connections. You could very well make it by the skin or your teeth but i would say you would have to be very lucky to do so.
  • Very unlikely on 2nd option. Too many factors in play, plane being on time, gate being close etc
  • Get up early just to be sure and ensure a liquid lunch in SE7.
  • You would have to get through arrivals!!!...then get Gatwick-East Croydon-London Bridge, and then London Bridge-Charlton...I reckon you will easily need an hour if the trains synchronise, let alone the other faffing, you will make it, but may miss the start....I reckon the earlier flight myself.
  • You've come to the right place. Purely from memory the train times are something like those I've listed below, but I will need to double check my timetable.

13:31 Gatwick Airport [GTW] London Bridge [LBG] 14:02
    14:17 London Bridge [LBG] Charlton [CTN] 14:33

13:46 Gatwick Airport [GTW] London Bridge [LBG] 14:17
    14:31 London Bridge [LBG] Charlton [CTN] 14:46

14:01 Gatwick Airport [GTW] London Bridge [LBG] 14:32
    14:47 London Bridge [LBG] Charlton [CTN] 15:03

14:16 Gatwick Airport [GTW] London Bridge [LBG] 14:47
    15:01 London Bridge [LBG] Charlton [CTN] 15:16

14:31 Gatwick Airport [GTW] London Bridge [LBG] 15:02
    15:17 London Bridge [LBG] Charlton [CTN] 15:33

I can let you have details of the likely rolling stock too, if you are interested?
  • Thanks all.
    Early one it is. If it's a boring game and you see a fella nodding off at half time, give him a little clip round the ear.

Thanks again.
  • I'm very surprised that you can even ask this question if, as you claim, you have had four decades of Charlton.

Don't you realise what this Club is about? A 4.30am start is the least that you can expect. Why, I would anticipate a flood, a plague of frogs and a near-death experience as the very minimum that will be thrown in your way as you attempt to make a rare home appearance.

Get the early flight, man. And then beware an alligator-infested Floyd Road and pit of snakes outside the Seabay Fish Bar.
  • [cite]Posted By: scidbox[/cite]Thanks all.
    Early one it is. If it's a boring game and you see a fella nodding off at half time, give him a little clip round the ear.

Thanks again.

no need mate. just make sure you get a ticket for the north lower and the hail of coins and bottles will keep you awake.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: scidbox[/cite]Thanks all.

Thanks again.

no need mate. just make sure you get a ticket for the north lower and the hail of coins and bottles will keep you awake.

OOH, controversy...i like it. :-)