Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rock, Paper, Scissors - A question

So what did you call this when you played it and where did grow up?

And what variations on the game did you have?

Comments

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Mr Spock.

(C) Big Bang Theory
  • Rock, Paper, Scissors - Bromley

No variations.
  • Ick, ack, ock in Abbey Wood and we also added water and dynamite.
  • Ching, chang, wallah - Tower Hamlets.

For added difficulty would play with both hands - had to win both to get a point.
  • Ick ack ock for me, also an ex abbeywoodian
  • Actually that's a lie, we used to have multi-person knock out games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Ick ack ock for me, also an ex abbeywoodian

a trend emerges. Anyone else in SE London use this name.
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Ching, chang, wallah - Tower Hamlets.

For added difficulty would play with both hands - had to win both to get a point.

not sure about that northern talk but liking the two handed version.
  • Ick ack ock in Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Rock paper scissors in Bermondsey/Walworth.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Ick ack ock in Charlton

Strange .. I'm from Charlton and remember it as Rock paper scissors
  • Scissors, Paper, Stone - Kidderminster
  • My wife's from Haringey and remembers it as Rock Paper Scissors.

My Dad was Irish (from Cork) and as far as I recall he also called it Rock Paper Scissors.

Mum was born in Hackney, lived in Charlton most of her life and she definitely called it Rock Paper Scissors.

But ... I do recall Ching Chang Wallah as mentioned by MrOne Lung ... but can't remember how common it was.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]My wife's from Haringey and remembers it as Rock Paper Scissors.

My Dad was Irish (from Cork) and as far as I recall he also called it Rock Paper Scissors.

Mum was born in Hackney, lived in Charlton most of her life and she definitely called it Rock Paper Scissors.

But ... I do recall Ching Chang Wallah as mentioned by MrOne Lung ... but can't remember how common it was.

but what did you say when you shook your clenched fist three times before releasing (oh er missus) ?
  • but what did you say when you shook your clenched fist three times before releasing (oh er missus) ?

Can't remember to be honest ... not sure I said anything ... apart from f*ing stupid game when I lost ;-)
  • Paper, Scissors, Stone (Essex)
  • Ching, chang, wallah - Waltham Forest
  • In a deliberate rhythm:

'All ee in the middle
    An' the odd ones
    OUT'

Chanted while smacking your own bum with the RPS hand.

And what did different folks use for
    'fainites'?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ick, ack, ock in Abbey Wood and we also added water and dynamite.

In Greenwich too.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]

'fainites'?

Fay-Nites in Abbey Wood
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]

'fainites'?

Fay-Nites in Abbey Wood

Demonstrated by fingers crossed sign?
  • Nostalgias not what is was.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]

'fainites'?

Fay-Nites in Abbey Wood
    I remember my dad saying that, but assumed it was 'Fey Knights'. We said 'Pax' in tunbridge Wells. (Sorry)
  • It could well be Fey Knights in some memory of the code of chivalry....some places say 'pax', some with fingers crossed say 'exes' or even 'crosses', there are probably many regional variations.
    I think it would be used a lot for a time out in a chasing game when somebody had a 'stitch'.
  • [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite] assumed it was 'Fey Knights'.

LOL.
    Have at you, ducky ;-)
  • The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren
    Iona Opie and Peter Opie

Just remembered this absolutely brilliant book...utter delight from start to finish.
  • What did you say when you wanted to be first at something?
    I used to say Bagsy (bags ee), my parents said that they used to say Bags I (bags eye), now my kids say Bugsy (as in Malone). Definite generational thing going on there. Don't know if there any thing regional though.
  • It was bagsy for me too. What about 'chin rub' when you didn't believe someone? Live down on the coast now and nobody of my age (44) seems to have heard of it.

BTW was ick ack ock in my house too, lived in Croydon but the name came from the Plumstead side of the family.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]It could well be Fey Knights in some memory of the code of chivalry....some places say 'pax', some with fingers crossed say 'exes' or even 'crosses', there are probably many regional variations.
    I think it would be used a lot for a time out in a chasing game when somebody had a 'stitch'.
    That is exactly the scenario when 'pax' would come into play. Frankly, I think it fails to prepare our young people for real life.