Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Abbott on way out?

Comments

• Options
    He sounds like a northerner when he is interviewed, sounds like his parent(s) are foreign but brought up here
  • Options
    His mother is Polish.
  • Options
    If he is going its a shame we didn't keep Akpo.

Powell said he didn't want more than 2 loanees because it would be 'disrespectfull' to the loaning club not to include their player in the 18 .

We now need a cm and another striker . Fry is the cb / cover lb .
  • Options
    All the hallmarks of a 'proper bust up following player being told he was being dropped' here.

Not the first, and certainly won't be the last.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]If he is going its a shame we didn't keep Akpo.

Powell said he didn't want more than 2 loanees because it would be 'disrespectfull' to the loaning club not to include their player in the 18 .

We now need a cm and another striker . Fry is the cb / cover lb .

Fry's position is interesting, he now is third choice left back, behind Bessone and Jenkins and has yet to be selected for his preferred position of CH where Fortch and Llerra are ahead of him. Would not be surprised to see him complete his loan with us on 19th March, leaving us with just 5 loanees.
  • Options
    Its all getting a bit messy.....
  • Options
    Mr Abbott was born in York. Think he trained well, lost weight and got fit. Sorry to see him go.

Llera isn't even making the squad and I suspect Fortune is now slower than Doherty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]All the hallmarks of a 'proper bust up following player being told he was being dropped' here.

Not the first, and certainly won't be the last.

I believe he did not travel because he is in talks, rather than wants to leave because he was left out.
  • Options
    fair enough Airman, though its pretty rare for someone to be looking to leave at the point they've just got back the place they worked hard to retain after losing months ago.
  • Options
    Anyone have an idea if we are getting a fee for him? or just releasing his wages for loanee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He had a MOTM performance against Posh and was decent against Exeter but the fact remains that mid League 1 is his level. If we want to get out of this league we need to replace mid league 1 players with better ones. I have nothing against him - he did his best but without meaning to sound disrespectful, I think he would be high up on my list of players we don't need. I'll clap him when he returns though and wish him al;l the best.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]He had a MOTM performance against Posh and was decent against Exeter but the fact remains that mid League 1 is his level. If we want to get out of this league we need to replace mid league 1 players with better ones. I have nothing against him - he did his best but without meaning to sound disrespectful, I think he would be high up on my list of players we don't need. I'll clap him when he returns though and wish him al;l the best.
    Agree. I'm fine with it as long as we get a replacement in on loan. Need some sort of target man up front whether that's a tall physical Iwelumo type or someone like Burton with a good touch who links the play well.
  • Options
    I think we have a replacement - benson- who is a better player IMO. Yes if somebody becomes available who is better than Anyinsah, BWP, Ecclestone or Benson, I say bring them in. But finding somebody who meets that description won't be easy. I don't think we should bring in a replacement for Abbot who is not better than the above named as we might as well have kept Abbot. But IMO, if we keep Abbot, you have to question our ambition.
  • Options
    I think benson is a different type of player who is more of a replacement for BWP than Abbot.

In answer to Afkas point, it seems he has the opportunity to go to the land of his mother, where he began his career and where his chances of being involved in the Euros, which are being held there will be enhanced. That would explain why he is happy to give up the fight for the long term starting role. Maybe also he saw the start of Anyinsah and thought he would always be 2nd choice when Anyinsah was fit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I think benson is a different type of player who is more of a replacement for BWP than Abbot.
    Agree. If Abbott leaves the only player with any physical presence up front will be Anyinsah. That won't give us enough options.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I think benson is a different type of player who is more of a replacement for BWP than Abbot.
    Agree. If Abbott leaves the only player with any physical presence up front will be Anyinsah. That won't give us enough options.

especially as Joe's fitness record is questionable at best. I don't mind Pawel, I think he's an honest League 1 striker and think he's got a rough ride from our supporters. But I feel that if he goes, we will regret letting both him and Akpo leave without a replacement....
  • Options
    as I have said on numerous threads I was told that CP wants a CM and a target man. Abbott going would seem to indicate that is the case.
  • Options
    Just looked at Leicesters recent fixtures and noticed Howard hasn't been involved, don't know if he is injured but I think he'd be a great loan signing if he is available and out of favour
  • Options
    Of course, Abbott's improved performance might be down to the fact he knew he was being watched with a view to a move . . .
  • Options
    I think we need a replacement, Abbot was a target man the others are not. Benson is the nearest to it, but again not the commanding
    aerial type which is needed more often than not as a foil to the type of strikers we have. Getting someone who can do the hold up job and be a real aeriel threat in the box would give us an extra dimension.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve Howard is a good shout and if he is available we would have a great chance of getting him, would also possibly be the perfect partner for BWP/Eccles.

Am a big fan of Anyinsah, but due to his injury record we certainly need someone else with physical presence.
  • Options
    Getting someone who can accurately pass the ball from midfield or keep possession would seem to me to be a priority, so we don't need to be in a permanent panic every time the ball comes close to getting into our half.

Oh and someone who can help to stop the other team scoring would be good, also, what do they call the people who do that again? Oh yeh, a defender...
  • Options
    Would love Steve Howard, and of course CP will know him well from his Leicester days so it could be a goer.
  • Options
    So it's official, we're going striker crazy again?
  • Options
    Abbott is a League 1 player and yes we do need to replace him with better.

The trouble is, you can say that about 90% of the squad.

I like Abbott, he offers (offered?) something different, a nice creative touch (when he does execute it correctly!)
  • Options
    4-5-1 here we come
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]So it's official, we're going striker crazy again?

The last time we went 'striker crazy' we were accumulating poor ones (Fleetwood, McLeod, Varney, Gray) and letting the wrong ones go (Iwelumo). As long as the players coming in are better than those going out then I don't see a problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]4-5-1 here we come

Not with Joe, BWP and Eccleston in the squad, surely?
  • Options
    The trouble is that you can't play all your strikers and we have too many that are better than Abbott. We created several good chances on Friday and I think Powell is on to something with this system -even though results seem to disagree. Abbott shouldn't be part of this because he is not bad but not good enough for us and what we should be aspiring to. Agree that a physical presence up front is good but not at the expense of everything else. If Anyinsah is injured, we should be able to make Ecclestone, BWP and Benson work, especially if we address the issues of creating more from midfield and width. If 2 are injured, Waggy showed he can play a central front role - we have enough strikers and they are good strikers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]4-5-1 here we come

I think it was Mourinho who was quoted as saying: "one man's 4-5-1 is another's 4-3-3"...