Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 1 - 1 Southampton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Funny Chirpy should mention a spiv selling CL badges in the East.

I sold two to some chancer who tried to get them for £3 each.

: - )

Selling like hot cakes they were. Got rid of all of mine and was constantly asked for more.

Agree on the throw in row. No way was that put out of play for the injury

On their goal, Clem watch the video. Two defenders on the line. No way was it Elliots fault.

Also agree that Soton played a lot of direct long ball stuff but it was effective. There is more than one way to play "good" football.
  • Options
    Having been to the D&R game on Saturday and then again to the Saints game last night I would concede that last night was an improvement - but then again that would not exactly be hard considering how awful we were on Saturday.

There still appears to be no pattern or style to our play apart from aimless hoofs forward with the only football really coming down the left from Bessone and Racon.

Nouble offers nothing that Sodje was not already offering and BWP is living off scraps, I know he appears lazy but he is a class box player, do you really want him running the channels and being miles from goal.

We need either a proper target man or link player to tie our game together or a class central midfield player who can make the team tick.

Last night, to be absolutely fair, we spent much of the game aiming long balls which Jaidi - a class above at this level - was heading away whilst stroking his balls in a deck chair. Totally ineffective and it was notable we scored our goal when Ecclestone got the ball to feet at long, long last.

Elliott - OK.
    Solly - OK, worried about his size/height on the back post.
    Dailly - Excellent
    Llera - Excellent
    Bessone - Shaky start but then improved massively, arguably our best.
    Wagstaff - One nice run in 1st half but generally poor.
    Semedo - OK but still looks like a full back playing in midfield. Struggles to move the ball on effectively.
    Perrett - Lovely touch for the goal and a couple of nice passes but got caught in possession a hell of a lot and was lucky not to be subbed.
    Racon - Excellent
    Nouble - Poor, offers little.
    BWP - Goalscorer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Funny Chirpy should mention a spiv selling CL badges in the East.

I sold two to some chancer who tried to get them for £3 each.

Times is 'ard........
  • Options
    The throw in row- I thought it was put out for the injury but was a bit too subtle, trying to gain ground at the same time -needed to be booted out over the half way line. Can undersatnd Saint's interpretation. Mind you a good tactic to get the crowd going.
  • Options
    thats exactly whats needed we battled for the ball and worked hard after the dagenham game which was shameful i wasnt expecting to much but it was 100% better every player applied the right attitude.
  • Options
    Although Nouble didn't have a great game, he made a couple of really class runs. Shame about the final decision though. He's not a target man.
  • Options
    You had us to win 6-2 I reckon Jimenez gave you a wink
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    reasonable improvement but it couldn't have got worse and i didn't think soton were up to much cop , hope this result doesn't cost them promotion
    i must have watched a different bessone thought his passing was a bit wayward and he seemed to go in half hearted to a couple of tackles
    thought solly battled well
    parrett and racon were trying to make things happen and i like to see that rather than crab football
    was worner injured or just the fact the undroppable drop a ball was available , one good stop and a classic flap to gift the oppo a corner under no pressure and i'm sure he is not daillys favourite keeper cos he ripped into him in the first half for not coming for a corner that was 3 yards from goal... still the emperors clothes look nice to some
    nouble isn't anyinsah but until joe is fully fit will have to do
    semedo had a good second half but a tame first half
    my MOM would be llera as previously a big critic of the 'giraffe on skates' i think his attitude as a professional is spot on and a fine example to all
    he has been on the bench and waited patiently for his start and grabbed it with both hands and gives his all to the cause , can't wait for him to score he deserves it more than anyone

anyway after last nights result/performance means i'm 100% we'll have the thrill of playing in this division again next year

special mention to NLA' favourite fans, 3k was more than impressive and prolly 10 times what we'll be bringing to them in a couple of weeks and even if positions in the table were reversed we wouldn't sniff 1500 midweek down there

edit waggy he needs a goal to justify being in the team cos he offers little else
    bwp is better than shaun
  • Options
    Bessone excellent some great challenges and forays forward. Parrot looked good bit went missing a few times, a big plus though were parrets set peices, all 4 were top draw so much better than Francis or mccornack. Lllera and Dailly solid and solly solid too, he will get better with games. Although if Carlo stays it will be tough for Chris to get in. Racon was good but Jose still has a lot of work to do to get back to the way he played at the end of last season. Losses the ball much to much.
  • Options
    enjoyed the game (for once), fighting spirit all through the team.

Solid back 4, like Bessone, Solly was o.k - the only thing Francis does have over him is his crossing, Solly really needs to work on this, although I suspect that Jenkinson is above him in the pecking order when fit.

Parret looks good in the middle and Racon was excellent tonight, Wagstaff still a bit of a headless chicken for me.

Nouble sometimes looks excellent and other times looks like Leaburn-on-ice....much prefer Big Joe.

As for BWP, he's a class act, don't care what else he does around the box if he keeps finishing like that, best striker since Benty....build a team around his style of play next season and he'll get 25+ goals and take us up (as long as he stays fit)

however a must for next season for me is a big imposing keeper, we'll go nowhere with Elliott in goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we did alright, much better spirit and fight, when we equalised the crowd really got behind the team and it was like playing in a different stadium.

Not sure on Bessone, does well going forward and got a few decent blocks in but we lucky to get away with a tackle and a handball in the 1st half for penalties. Need to see him more to get a better view, he's okay but looks as though he has a few clangers in him!

Racon was very good, got involved and tried to keep it on the floor again. People moan about his inconsistantcy but he is no more inconsistant than anyone else in the team imo.

Dailly wasn't that reassuring again, nearly scored an own goal. Elliot looks like he's lost a bit of weight.

BWP is the 20 goal a season man you need if you want promotion.

Southampton were a huge side, didn't look at threatening going forward as Peterborough did but they seem very solid and expect them to go up.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Marked improvement and an enjoyable game.

Noticeable that we were pressing their players more when they were on the ball and..hey presto..they made mistakes.

Parret impressed me, seems like he has a bit everything. Too much to ask of a season long loan next term?

Bessone did a great job on Oxlade-Chamberlain imo.

Another good game for Llera-looks like he really cares.

Racon looked good, let's hope it continues.

Thought Solly had a good game.

Southampton are a decent side and that was a well earned point.
  • Options
    Decent game last night, the best I’ve seen us play this season although I haven’t seen too many draws let alone wins. Solly linked well with Waggy, 10x better than Francis. New guy Bessone looked a class act and liked to get forward – he was up against the kid Oxlade-Chamberlain that Arsenal have been linked with but he had him in his pocket all night. Parrett looked good, passing wayward sometimes but got better and quite pacy. Great nine-iron scoop for BWP’s goal. Llera strong again, hit bar with a header that looked to have bounced over the line. Nouble looked less capable than Sodje. Joe had their defence on back-foot as soon as he came on for him. Racon was immense playing out of position on left wing, some great runs. We still defend a bit deep though and don’t move up and back as a unit, you could see the contrast with Saints. Good signs for next season and an outside chance of play-offs if we put a run together – but last night’s team would stand a chance of going through in a play-off whereas Parky’s side always looked like they needed a lucky break – this one tries to make things happen.

Having said all that, we had Reid, Ecclestone and Joe on the bench that could fit into this side, but precious few others - in defence Jenkinson is the only one who might come in and fit this style. My heart dropped when the Doc entered the fray, he is part of the problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]You had us to win 6-2 I reckon Jimenez gave you a wink

D THESE DAYS WITH US SON U NEVER KNOW BIT MORE LUCK AND 50 MORE SHOTS ON GOAL IT MIGHT OF HAPPENED.
  • Options
    Grim until Saints scored which seemed to ingnite us.

I think some people are forgetting the first 65-70 minutes when we only got the ball in their penalty area twice.

To me it was much like one of those early wins where we stiffled the oppo and nicked a goal.

Bright spots: Parret, Racon, Llera and Solly.
  • Options
    Stone, I think we competed throughout which is what people are applauding. Bournemouth are rocking a bit and the way to beat them on Saturday will be to have more of a threat up front - this means Waggy and Nouble on the bench for Anyinsah and Ecclestone. I think that was the only thing missing from our performance otherwise. But Away from home, we are only going to get something from our next game if we go for it - defending certainly won't be the answer. I thought Powell was a bit slow to make the changes last night even though they were th eright ones- I really need to see him realise that the attacking threat is a key element - the balance of having 2 full backs that can get forwards means you can have your wide men on the bench as an option and a strike force of Anyinsah, BWP and Ecclestone has the pace, strength and movement to trouble any defence in this dividion. If Powell does play how I think we should, I think this could be the beginning of something good- if he doesn't learn the necessary fine tuning this could be the beginning of the end. Go on Chrissy - iit's staring you in the face - we can put out a good competetive team - do it!
  • Options
    Well done to the lads - the team looked the most balanced for ages, and you could see them visibly improving as a team as the game progressed. Although Parret made a number of mistakes he really demonstrated why we have missed a box to box midfielder he can hassle and slow down play all over the field.

The way that Southampton use the rules in order to try and win at all costs is really becoming quite sickening - the throw in (D'Urso should have given a soft free kick to Charlton after they clearly gained advantage, but as we have know since Boxing Day he isn't up to the job) and the obvious attempt at physical intimidation from the start last night were the latest examples to add to the manner of their administration where they they effectively screwed their creditors so that could continue to recruit expensive players.
  • Options
    Hopefully this will ease the pressure on Chris Powell and silence a few doubters.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I must admit I wanted to go down and punch their defender who was claiming our goal was offside - not for that in itself but a culmination of what you described above. Adkins to his credit has put together a team to get out of this league- Big, Strong, cynical in a clever way, good touch, good defenders but by no means a passing side. I was suprised as I expected more of a footballing side but you can see why they are hard to beat.
  • Options
    Regime change was always bound to be messy, but whilst we were installing our new leader I wanted to see team effort, determination and some signs of reconstruction. Last night I got it. We may not have WMD's yet, but we did appear to have chucked out the D&R damp squibs. Best game yet under CP and I'm a whole lot happier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had to miss the game due to another commitment. But the Radio London/Radio Kent commentary was superb, in the hands of Jamie Reid.

Jamie left his job as communications manager at Kent CCC last Friday to do other things, including getting back into radio, and I hope we hear a lot more of him commenting on Charlton games.

Great radio voice, married to a deep knowledge of the game, sharp observational skills and a genuine ability to convey the drama and excitement on the pitch without ever becoming hysterical, as so many do. Over the last 15 mins when we got the equaliser and were really pushing on to try and win it, he had me on the edge of my seat.

Top stuff, JR!
  • Options
    Indeed onwards and upwards COYR - much improved.
  • Options
    I'm finding this whole thread thoroughly depressing. Why do they choose the one night when I've got money on the opposition to all of a sudden put up a fight? That, together with the lino's failure to allow Southampton's clearly onside goal, cost me a cheeky little Brighton-Southampton double. As a consequence of which I say: boooooooooooo.

Could I also ask you all to tone down your enthusiastic comments a bit? It's just rubbing salt in the wounds.

I feel like Rachel Riley's teenage cousin. I see everyone else getting over excited, I can see why, it just doesn't feel right joining in.
  • Options
    CommentAuthorChirpy RedCommentTime4 hours ago edited quote# 61
    Posted By: LenGlover
    Posting without reading.

Why?

Always read what others have said before you. Then you can get some of your questions answered and answer some of other peoples.
    It's a forum.

And to think Len, you love the phrase.....Lazy journalism!
    ;-)

Chirps, if I post before I read then they are MY views in the immediate aftermath of the match.

If I read first then my views, consciously or sub-consciously, are affected by what others think.

I can always comment further later as I have now

:-)
  • Options
    massive improvement all round, hope its not just the opposition that inspired as and being on the backfoot so to speak

some points and questions

huge improvement, very positive night and quite enjoyable game

why did we play multiball against a well technically resourced side?

why doesn't Powell bring on Eccles 15 minutes earlier, he would be an even greater impact sub if this happened, Waggy just wasn't effective
  • Options
    Agree with all the positive comments on here about last night's match - how great to see the team play with some fight and spirit again whilst playing some good football. Keep that form up and it should be a good end to the season.

But hang on - and I'm playing Devil's advocate here to an extent - only one poster that I can see has mentioned the "goal" Southampton scored in injury time was onside by a mile - I was nearly in line with the bloke's run and I couldn't believe our luck when the lino's flag went up.

If the lino had not had had that mad moment it would be 8 defeats out of 9.
  • Options
    Well we deserved a bit of luck - was a definite penalty when Llera hit the bar - Had we lost it would have been bad luck and comments would have been positive because theteam had fight and a corner seems to have been turned. The next game will show us if it really has but I really do think we can start moving forwards again.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In defence of the linesman our back 4 was very flat footed and their bloke was running full pelt so by the time the lino had rotated his head N'Guessan was probably 3 or 4 yards past the line of defence, so he may have looked miles off even if he wasn't when the ball was played. My initial reaction at the game was that it was offside, but replays have obviously shown otherwise. I'll claim we deserve a bit of luck given what we've had to put up with recently.

Didn't we have a couple disallowed against them at home last season? I'm sure one of them was definitely onside.
  • Options
    He put his flag up immediately so I didn't panic but glad we have had a bit of good fortune as it seems it was a bad call - that wil actually send a positive vibe to the players I think as we have been a bit short of luck lately and they may believe it is on the turn.
  • Options
    I wasn't there, but from what I heard this morning from two people who were there, we didn't really start threatening their goal until we were one down.

I feel that some of the comments about us having turned a corner and it's onwards and upwards from here are a bit OTT given that it was one game and we only got a draw.