Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Difference between Parky & Powell

A primary difference between Parky & Powell was their starting points, and acceptance by the supporters.

Not many people wanted Parky to get the job. He was part of the Pardont regime. And his record of eight matches without a victory as caretaker filled no one with optimism. Yet he got the job anyway, against all logic but due to financial restraints.

Powell was a popular hero coming back to raise his old club. He was a very popular choice, although some had reservations because of his lack of management experience.

I don't think Parky should have got the job after his caretaker spell, and should have been sacked after relegation.
Poor club finances kept him on.
He did a reasonable job in his first full season as manager, and earned the chance to come back this season for the final year of his contract.

My feelings were that he would be sacked if we were not promoted, and would have earned a new contract if we were.
The new owners acted quickly, and jettisoned him after a poor month-and-a-half spell where some abject football was on display.

So was it a case of 'anyone but Parky?'

Well, once the new owners felt that Parky couldn't deliver promotion, it was right to remove him once that conclusion was made.
Gary Johnson would have been a safe choice, but not an inspired one.
Chris Powell was a roll of the dice. And at that point, why not?
It would be a disaster if Charlton were relegated to League 2 - the FOURTH division - but so long as THAT doesn't happen, it was a reasonable hire.

Even when he had a bit of cash to spend, Parky did not use it wisely. Powell was left with the dross brought in by Parky, yet lifted spirits with four wins on the bounce. It has gone badly since -- can't imagine how a club the size of Charlton can lose IN THE LEAGUE to the Dagenhams and Rochdales of the world!

I would have been okay with Parky carrying on for the remainder of the season. But I didn't shed any tears when he was let go.

The Chris Powell experiment is ongoing. And it is an experiment.

Let him bring in some of his own players, try to get Charlton playing the way that he wants (and most fans want). And we'll see.

Better to be going through this now, than next season.

At best, we were spinning our wheels with Parky. Time to see if we can move forward with someone else. Even if things are going poorly, that is something that we needed to find out.

Comments

• Yet again the Ant-parky brigade can't let it go and have to mention how bad PP was before discussing CP. How many more threads on this same topic?

Some news for you. Parkinson has left.

No amount of comparison or snide remarks about a decent, hardworking man who you and others relentlessly hounded when he was in the post make an ounce of difference now. I noticed your cracked record about a manager being "judged on his results" has finally broken. I wonder why that is?

Parky's gone and it's Powell's job and Powell's problems. Please just move on FFS
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Some news for you. Parkinson has left.

Some news for you: he didn't leave, he was rather unceremoniously sacked.
  • edited March 2011
  • Parky knew his squad, league and club

Powell doesnt know how to use the squad, doesnt know the league but know the club.
  • nothing was acheived under parkinson and powells hardly setting league one alight,is this a comparsion...
  • Even when he had a bit of cash to spend, Parky did not use it wisely. Powell was left with the dross brought in by Parky
    Ah but was it complete dross or not? Francis, Abbott and McCormack haven't really worked out, but Dailly, Jackson, Benson and Anyinsah are decent, and people like Doherty have come here with a proven track record, and our squad was no worse than any other team in this league at the start of the season. Reid is also a Parky signing, personally I don't rate him but there are many who do. The fact is, Parky had this dross 5th in the table, 2nd if we won our games in hand (not unreasonable to think we would have)
    Let him bring in some of his own players, try to get Charlton playing the way that he wants (and most fans want). And we'll see.
    I disagree with you here, the football we are playing is no better than under Parkinson, and back then at least we did try long balls as well as playing football to try and get results, now we just endlessly run into dead ends, or try to pass the ball into the six yard box. It may look better than hoofing it to a big man, but it's ineffective. I don't want to see football like that, all I want to see is us playing football and creating chances, whether it's from a 50 yard Llera pass to Waggy on the break or a 40 pass move taking 4 minutes doesn't come into it. Also, is bringing on a 5th defender to defend a draw, at home, really the football you want us to be playing?
    Better to be going through this now, than next season.
    Really? What happens if we continue like this next season? After spending a million on players and wages? We will be further behind, and we will have money to work with (again) Better to not go through it at all in my eyes.
    At best, we were spinning our wheels with Parky. Time to see if we can move forward with someone else. Even if things are going poorly, that is something that we needed to find out.
    Well, things are already going poorly, we have sacrificed an opportunity to get out of this league this season and we are on our worst run of games since goodness knows when. He have rumours of players not getting on, seeing out contracts without a care in the world and one of our best young talents is basically sticking two fingers up at our club. We have moved backwards and we have a manager that has never been in this situation before, and so far looks like he doesn't have the first idea how to turn our fortunes around. I'd rather be 'spinning my wheels' stuck on a slope, inching my way forwards, than roll all the way back down, and have to start all over again, wouldn't you?
  • The difference is that Parkinson used to win a game every once in a while
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Yet again the Ant-parky brigade can't let it go and have to mention how bad PP was before discussing CP. How many more threads on this same topic?

No amount of comparison or snide remarks about a decent, hardworking man who you and others relentlessly hounded when he was in the post make an ounce of difference now. I noticed your cracked record about a manager being "judged on his results" has finally broken. I wonder why that is?

Parky's gone and it's Powell's job and Powell's problems. Please just move on FFS

Agree with this. The noises from the club seem to be that the squad is getting significantly changed in the summer and Powell is their man so all this kind of stuff before we see the 'transformation' seems about as much use as a 'It all went wrong when Scotty walked out the door' thread.
  • [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]Agree with this. The noises from the club seem to be that the squad is getting significantly changed in the summer and Powell is their man so all this kind of stuff before we see the 'transformation' seems about as much use as a 'It all went wrong when Scotty walked out the door' thread.

Difference is that you can't change the past, but you can influence the future.
  • We were 5th when Parky was sacked and we are now 13th. Statistcally its gotta be one of the worst managerial changes in history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Parky & Powell thread number 101. Nothing to see here...move along.
  • The new owners acted quickly, and jettisoned him after a poor month-and-a-half spell where some abject football was on display.

Month and a half in which we lost 2 and he was manager of the month before then!
  • Talking of Parkinson, apparently he's been offered a scouting position at Arsenal...
  • Wouldnt be surprised. He has a good eye for players IMO
  • [cite]Posted By: hawksmoor[/cite]Talking of Parkinson, apparently he's been offered a scouting position at Arsenal...

Source?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Wouldnt be surprised. He has a good eye for players IMO

Benson to be Arsenal's new 'Fox in the Box.' McCormack to replace Fabregas.
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Wouldnt be surprised. He has a good eye for players IMO

Benson to be Arsenal's new 'Fox in the Box.' McCormack to replace Fabregas.

Another comment to critcise Phil Parkinson the bloke did a job with a zero based budget and made us competitve in this league

Hope it works out for him and happy he's not gone to Scunny i fort he would do well with them in league 1 next year
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: hawksmoor[/cite]Talking of Parkinson, apparently he's been offered a scouting position at Arsenal...

Wonder if his first signing will be Jenkinson?

Perhaps he could persuade Arsene W that Francis and MOxo are the bees knees as well!

If we have to do this Parkinson inquest thing all over again, I've come to realise that the main reason fans never took to him was pretty much beyond his control : namely the feeling that he had the job by default. There was a strong view that he was the 'make-do and mend' candidate because having blown what cash was left on paying off his buddy Pardew, we couldn't afford a 'proper manager'.

That notion was reinforced when his caretakership was confirmed despite not having won a single match and again when he wasn't sacked several times when he surely would have been if the club could have afforded it. This notion that he was still there simply because he was prepared to work at less than the trade union scale grew stronger each time. To overcome this repeated slicing away of his credibility, he needed to deliver tangible success and/or get us playing attractive Poyet-style football - and he couldn't.

Not his fault. A decent enough chap who due to circs beoynd his control found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now can we move on?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Yet again the Ant-parky brigade can't let it go and have to mention how bad PP was before discussing CP. How many more threads on this same topic?

I never thought i would say this but i agree with you 100% Henry. Have to stop there because i might say something i will regret.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2011
    Even when he had a bit of cash to spend, Parky did not use it wisely. Powell was left with the dross brought in by Parky
    Agree, he had nominal fees to spend and the average wage was £2k a week. Why didn't he buy some top quality proven players?

And Benson - £250k! Could have signed a classy striker with that sort of money.

Such dross, I mean they were only competing for the play-offs the entire time Parky was here.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: hawksmoor[/cite]Talking of Parkinson, apparently he's been offered a scouting position at Arsenal...

Source?

Bet it's a Spurs fan.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Source?
    at

Bet it's a Spurs fan.
    I've been told its on news now. I have no idea what that is
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I've been told its on news now. I have no idea what that is
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/League+One/Charlton+Athletic

That's Newsnow. The Parky to Arsenal story is actually on an Arsenal blog, Young Guns.
  • If Parky was here right now we would be in the playoff spots or in with a shout at the very least...

with BWP I feel we would be at least 6th...
  • Parky is an ex CAFC coach,generally disliked until he was sacked.
    CP is a current CAFC coach, generally liked
  • [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]Parky is an ex CAFC coach,generally disliked until he was sacked.
    CP is a current CAFC coach, generally liked

Even when he is sacked!!
  • I don't understand why we can't discuss Parky's sacking. We were 5th then, look at us now. It's bloody madness. The Board made a poor decision.....as Fans we have a right to ask questions. I fear there are some this board who don't want to know the answers......
  • [cite]Posted By: milne[/cite]I don't understand why we can't discuss Parky's sacking.

We've done Parky.

I'd rather discuss Ralph Milne.

;o)
  • Ah, wee Ralphy......