Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

boo-ing

I know that we have seen our fair share of dross this season and even today at half time the team went of to a few boios, but watching MOTD and when the final whistle went at the end of the Arsenal Blackburn game (0-0) you could here a round of boos also........

we are mid-table in league one and have been on the slide for a few years now, Arsenal are 2nd in the Premiership ffs and were a shade unlucky not to win today which wouls have out them just a few points off top.........what do some football fans expect ??

Arsenal fans aren't alone as I'm sure I heards a few boos at the final whistle of the Peterborough v Bournemouth game last night as P'boro threw away a 3-1 lead to ONLY draw 3-3 and remain in 3rd spot (which if you'd asked their fans at the start of the season they would have bitten your arm off for ) - what is going on !!!!!!!

Comments

• I've always felt that the two big north london clubs have the poorest quality of fans. They turn up in great numbers, but are very quick to turn on their teams and are equally quick to rub opposition fans nose in it, if they're going well. A rather classless bunch I'm afraid.
  • Thought exactly the same thing Golfie. God those Gooners have had it really tough these past few years haven't they. I mean, the crap they've had to endure at home - that game against Barcelona for starters.

W**kers
  • Noticed this at chelski, when they lost 3-0 at Home to Sunderland: I think they were only 6 points, or so, clear at the top of the PremierLeague, yet the players got a shedload of abuse.
    If the "Top" teams are getting slagged/boo-ed off at H/T & F/T (and, sometimes, during the match) what chance have the other 88/89 clubs got of keeping their fans Happy ?
  • edited April 2011
    I can understand why Wilshere got a boo though, the kid has tonnes of ability, but like our players are 'Charltonised', he's been 'Arsenalised' clean through on goal, take a shot lad, no, you're going to try and square the ball across the six yard box through 4 Blackburn players?! I know Arsenal love to play attractive football, but there comes a time when you have to shoot, and they don't do it often enough, and that is why they won't win the Premiership this season, yet again.
  • Its all about different levels of expectation
    And their fans know they should be beating blackburn at home to give them a chance of winning the title and to draw with blackburn isn't enough

We're not some type of superior super fan cos we support a shit football team , we just have differing expectations

They wouldn't have booed their team after getting turned over by barca but they'd expect to do blackburn
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Its all about different levels of expectation
    And their fans know they should be beating blackburn at home to give them a chance of winning the title and to draw with blackburn isn't enough

We're not some type of superior super fan cos we support a shit football team , we just have differing expectations

They wouldn't have booed their team after getting turned over by barca but they'd expect to do blackburn
    It is the same as me getting frustrated at us not beating Tranmere at home as we were all over them but couldn't score that final goal, but also delighted at us drawing at home to Southampton after being assaulted for most of the game. Arsenal should have put the game to bed, and Blackburn finished with 10 men, so there's nowhere to hide, they weren't good enough and therefore the fans let them know, surely there's nothing wrong in that? If I ever had an off day at work I'd definitely be told about it!
  • [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Its all about different levels of expectation

It is the same as me getting frustrated at us not beating Tranmere at home as we were all over them but couldn't score that final goal, but also delighted at us drawing at home to Southampton after being assaulted for most of the game. Arsenal should have put the game to bed, and Blackburn finished with 10 men, so there's nowhere to hide, they weren't good enough and therefore the fans let them know, surely there's nothing wrong in that? If I ever had an off day at work I'd definitely be told about it!

I do understand your point of view Sam3110, but, I always think that as "Supporters" I think you should "get behind" & "Support" your team. Boo-ing them isn't going to make them play or feel better is it ?
  • edited April 2011
    I think it's more to do with the unhappiness in people's lives in general. Some fans are so fed up with their day to day lives, their team is their only hope of being cheered up and when their team doesn't perform as well as they expect, then the booing starts.

It's obviously not as simple as that, some people who are more than happy, will boo a poor performance & some people just like booing.

But in the main I think the booers are reflecting the dissatisfaction with their own lives.

I'm pretty happy with my lot so I very rarely boo. Only when they really haven't tried like Wycombe H league cup.

Prior to booing of course, some of these fans would have been having a punch up instead, but you can't do that these days, so all you can do is boo. (Generalising).
  • [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]I can understand why Wilshere got a boo though - he's been 'Arsenalised' clean through on goal, take a shot lad, no, you're going to try and square the ball across the six yard box through 4 Blackburn players?!.

For me, this shows exactly whats wrong with football fans at the moment.

How the hell does making a wrong decision ONCE make it understandable for him to be boo'd?

You do realise Wilshere also had a fairly busy week leading up to the game yesterday.

Absolute madness.
  • Anyone that boos is a knob. End of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Boo to booing.
  • Powell says booing is perfectly legit, it certainly seemed to work yesterday..
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Powell says booing is perfectly legit, it certainly seemed to work yesterday..

agreed
  • On another note, Man City are winning 5 0 now, why are they so silent?
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]I can understand why Wilshere got a boo though - he's been 'Arsenalised' clean through on goal, take a shot lad, no, you're going to try and square the ball across the six yard box through 4 Blackburn players?!.

For me, this shows exactly whats wrong with football fans at the moment.

How the hell does making a wrong decision ONCE make it understandable for him to be boo'd?

You do realise Wilshere also had a fairly busy week leading up to the game yesterday.

Absolute madness.

Hey was I the one booing him? No

I was merely pointing out why they booed him. The point with Arsenal is the pretty football, the fans like it but I'm sure they'd rather have ugly football and a premiership title than pretty football and crushing disappointment every season.

Please point out at what point I said 'Everyone should boo the moment a player makes a single mistake' because that's what you seem to be ramming down my throat.

I did not condone it, I did not praise them for doing so, I merely stated that I understood why they booed, it wasn't actually booing at Wilshere being rubbish, it was more of a venting of frustration at the team in general, for not being able to change the way they play to score goals, change the game and get the result.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Its all about different levels of expectation

They wouldn't have booed their team after getting turned over by barca but they'd expect to do blackburn[/quote]

But, thats not the point !!

I have no qualms with fans boo-ing players if they have just seen 90 mins of rubbish (like us at MK Dons or D&R recently), but from what I saw Arsenal did all they could to score, with a last miute effort being cleared off the line and a couple of last ditch blocks by defenders..........IMO the players in no-way deserved to be boo-ed just beacuse Blackburn did their bit !!
  • Booing is a very childish act, and drives a wedge between supporter and fan, and booing curbs when we were in the prem was an absolute joke... however now it surely can be justified we have been an appalling run ect, ect....

So maybe Im being hypicritical, and maybe its down to peoples individual perception of what is acceptabel and where we should be as a club, I always thought that PArky was doing a good job , winnign ugly more often that not and keeping us in check although constantly having to sell of our best players, with Powell he will get longer thrift...

either way lets hope we go on a great run from here and it never gets even discussed again we go from league one to champs league winners within 5 years..
  • I went to D&R and booed my bollocks off in the second-half and at the end.

I would NEVER have booed in the Premiership because we were punching well above our weight and it would have been crazy to boo under those conditions.

However, if you can't boo in L1 when you are sliding down the table and losing to a non-league club like D&R then when the hell can you boo and show your unhappiness?

You can't expect people to feel passionately about their club and invest in it financially and emotionally and then not get very upset when it goes badly, that's unrealistic.
  • I think it's just a sad reflection of society these days. There is no middle ground, you have to be a success and if you're not a success you're automatically a failure.
    When I started going to the Valley in the mid sixties with my dad, I don't recall any booing except at the ref.
    Drawing and losing was considered as being a part of the game and you left the ground feeling disappointed but looking forward to the next game. The players were still my hereos, win, lose or draw.
    If people want to be happier in life they need to change their mindset. It's not just about always winning or having a big house, a flash car or a job paying a huge salary.
  • Nothing wrong with booing. Wilshere et al can cry all thye way to the bank.
    Most pro players I know - old days and current - found it was a positive motivator for them
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]Nothing wrong with booing. Wilshere et al can cry all thye way to the bank.
    Most pro players I know - old days and current - found it was a positive motivator for them

positive motivator... lol... yeah right...
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I think it's just a sad reflection of society these days. There is no middle ground, you have to be a success and if you're not a success you're automatically a failure.
    When I started going to the Valley in the mid sixties with my dad, I don't recall any booing except at the ref.
    Drawing and losing was considered as being a part of the game and you left the ground feeling disappointed but looking forward to the next game. The players were still my hereos, win, lose or draw.
    If people want to be happier in life they need to change their mindset. It's not just about always winning or having a big house, a flash car or a job paying a huge salary.
    Excellent post Queensland. I agree with every word.
  • I can never see the point of booing except in exceptional circumastances (someone mentioned wycombe at home and that was certainly one, Gillingham away in the cup was another for me).
    Even more self defeating during a game although we all get frustrated and perhaps show it in different ways.

I do wonder how anyone thinks booing Solly and jenkinson directly after the Dagenham game was sensible. Doubt if it had any inflence on jenks decision but if he was in two minds whether to sign (and perhaps help us like Jonjo did) then that would have sealed it.

Overall though I think our crowd is pretty good. It doesnt take too much to get us applauding - mainly a bit of guts and display of effort
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]I can never see the point of booing except in exceptional circumastances (someone mentioned wycombe at home and that was certainly one, Gillingham away in the cup was another for me).
    Even more self defeating during a game although we all get frustrated and perhaps show it in different ways.

I do wonder how anyone thinks booing Solly and jenkinson directly after the Dagenham game was sensible. Doubt if it had any inflence on jenks decision but if he was in two minds whether to sign (and perhaps help us like Jonjo did) then that would have sealed it.

Overall though I think our crowd is pretty good. It doesnt take too much to get us applauding - mainly a bit of guts and display of effort

I was at D&R, nobody was booing Jenkinson or Solly, the venting of 1,500 spleens was directed at the senior pros and management that had just lost to a non-league team.

Seriously, anyone who could have watched us being humiliated like that by a non-league club and NOT reacted by booing should apply for Canonisation.

Does booing help? Probably not all that much but people have every right to boo if the performance after 90 minutes is genuinely awful and unacceptable and that it what D&R was.

I certainly would not condone booing just because you go 1-0 down at home against Orient.
  • If you had a chat in the pub with an Arsenal fan about the last five years our respective clubs have been through, they genuinely believe that we have had it easy in comparison to them......
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I think it's just a sad reflection of society these days. There is no middle ground, you have to be a success and if you're not a success you're automatically a failure.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
  • edited April 2011
    I think there are different kinds of booing. I never boo but don't really have a problem with the mooted collective boos the team gets when it has played poorly - The players know that these boos can change to cheers in the matter of seconds. I think this can sometimes help inspire the players to pull their fingers out. On Saturday a far more convincing boo went to the ref at half time. What I have a problem is booing an individual player - this can only be damaging and works against the team every time.
  • Ormiston Addick - you are right and you are wrong. There was a point when when all the players were either in the tunnel and away and the magement werent anywhere near.
    It was just the 2 youngsters going down to the tunnel and numerous people were shouting and booing them. You might have thought you knew what you were booing but it didnt come across like that to me and it didnt look like it to them. They looked crestfallen.
    It was a diabolical performance
    I agree that people have the right to boo I just think in the most part its stupid and self-defeating. Jojo's permances certainly suffered last year when he getting a lot of abuse from certain of our fans, I think waggy to some extent has also suffered and Robbie as well. Solly so far has reacted well.
    BTW daggenham are a divsion 1 side, not a non league side - so keep up!
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Ormiston Addick - you are right and you are wrong. There was a point when when all the players were either in the tunnel and away and the magement werent anywhere near.
    It was just the 2 youngsters going down to the tunnel and numerous people were shouting and booing them. You might have thought you knew what you were booing but it didnt come across like that to me and it didnt look like it to them. They looked crestfallen.
    It was a diabolical performance
    I agree that people have the right to boo I just think in the most part its stupid and self-defeating. Jojo's permances certainly suffered last year when he getting a lot of abuse from certain of our fans, I think waggy to some extent has also suffered and Robbie as well. Solly so far has reacted well.
    BTW daggenham are a divsion 1 side, not a non league side - so keep up!

D&R - compared to us in terms of resources - are a non-league side!

Their ground is no better than Park View Road and the fact that we are getting turned over there - and it could easily have been 4-0 or more - was my lowest moment in 30 years as a supporter.

I take your point about the booing of the younger players, they might have presumed it was directed at them.
  • edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Man_About_Town[/cite]Nothing wrong with booing. Wilshere et al can cry all thye way to the bank.

positive motivator... lol... yeah right...
    Yes, right. I only repeat what I have been told, but obviously doesn't apply to all.
    "reflection of society" thoughts etc load of tosh for something that's been around for centuries.
    Hope you guys don't boo the "we can't do without them" referees