Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Laptop screens (repair)

So, I've just woken up this morning to find a nice huge crack on my laptop screen (Inspiron n5030) with a 2.5k essay due on wednesday and 20k words over the next 3 weeks this really couldnt have happend at a better time.

So, my questions to CL are:

1) Do I have a hope in hell of getting anything out of Dell with regards to the warranty?
2) If I buy a screen from the internet, how easy are they to fix?

Comments

• Football Manager related
  • More like letting my girlfriend use the laptop.

First time the silly northerner had touched something electronic and she goes and breaks it....
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]More like letting my girlfriend use the laptop.

First time the silly northerner had touched something electronic and she goes and breaks it....

Ann Summers?
  • Dell are good if it's still in warranty, I've had a similar problem before.
  • Ah, probably thought it was witchcraft. Sorry, I've not been particularly helpful. I'd say you've got hee-haw chance of getting anything off Dell as it's not the sort of thing that happens as a result of normal use and I don't know anything about fitting a screen. Two quick thoughts though: you might have some kind of accidental damage on your contents insurance policy? For a short term fix for your various essays you could just plug a regular screen into it to get you running, if you can borrow one of someone.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite] For a short term fix for your various essays you could just plug a regular screen into it to get you running, if you can borrow one of someone.

Hadnt even thought of that, despite the fact I regularly plug my laptop into my TV, cheers, can get back on with my work now without having to go into the hell-hole that is hulls library.
  • Yeah, you can probably pick up a clunky old monitor off ebay or your local computer shop and just use that for now.
  • Did her whippet break it?
  • Is anybody here any good at fixing laptops in general?
  • replaced the screen on my laptop using a video tutorial on the internet, took about 20 minutes, theres probably one out there for your model
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Is anybody here any good at fixing laptops in general?

I can do most jobs, although I'm not sure it's worth paying someone like me to fit a new screen. It would depend on the value of the laptop and how much it would cost to replace. A good solution is to do what was suggested above and plug it in to an external monitor.
  • Confirm what ads says. Just be careful with the little screws; wiring is simple with basically two flat mini plugs. I paid about £70 for fujitsu siemens screen on the internet; delivered the following day.
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Is anybody here any good at fixing laptops in general?

I can do most jobs, although I'm not sure it's worth paying someone like me to fit a new screen. It would depend on the value of the laptop and how much it would cost to replace. A good solution is to do what was suggested above and plug it in to an external monitor.

Sorry mate just seen this reply. I have a Sony Vaio laptop. Its probably a couple of years old now. I dont know why but when i turn it on, it stays on for about 5 minutes max and then just cuts out. It happens when its on charge also. It was a bloody expensive laptop so i want to see if it can be fixed before i throw it away. Also there is so much stuff on there that id rather keep. Pictures from holidays, pictures that girls have sent me. There may even be some home made stuff on there LOL so im a bit reluctant to take it to PC World or something. Heap loads of Prawn as well.

I want it fixed, but cant really take it to a shop. Any idea what it could be? Battery maybe? Something loose in the circuit board or something? Can you fix it?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Is anybody here any good at fixing laptops in general?

Sorry mate just seen this reply. I have a Sony Vaio laptop. Its probably a couple of years old now. I dont know why but when i turn it on, it stays on for about 5 minutes max and then just cuts out. It happens when its on charge also. It was a bloody expensive laptop so i want to see if it can be fixed before i throw it away. Also there is so much stuff on there that id rather keep. Pictures from holidays, pictures that girls have sent me. There may even be some home made stuff on there LOL so im a bit reluctant to take it to PC World or something. Heap loads of Prawn as well.

I want it fixed, but cant really take it to a shop. Any idea what it could be? Battery maybe? Something loose in the circuit board or something?
    Can you fix it?

Unscrew the unit and then reseat everything (k/b, memory/hdd/cd drive/battery etc ) that's all basic laptop trouble shooting steps anyone will ask you to do.
  • edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]

I want it fixed, but cant really take it to a shop. Any idea what it could be? Battery maybe? Something loose in the circuit board or something?
    Can you fix it?

Unscrew the unit and then reseat everything (k/b, memory/hdd/cd drive/battery etc ) that's all basic laptop trouble shooting steps anyone will ask you to do.

If you are confident to do what BRE suggests, go ahead, if not I'm happy to take a look at it.

My work email address is support@bexleyitlimited.info