Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrek gets 2 match ban

link

1. Does anyone know what he said and why?
2. Is this fitting punishment?

Deee-scuss.

Comments

• I think he'll never do anything right apart from play football. Swearing into the camera on live TV as a big mistake and he should have known better. The problem with Rooney is that he never seems to learn.
  • Forces a change to my fantasy team, boo.
  • A two game ban seems fair objectively, but this is Rooney. You could ban him for twenty games and the first time he plays again he'd call the ref a [censored].
  • Has he actually been banned or is he being charged and thats a possible penalty.

Can't wait for SAF to make his comments supporting the leagues actions.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13oLcBGGlg0&feature=related
  • They seem to be setting themselves up here (The F.A.).

Are they going to charge every player that you can see/hear swearing on TV from now on? Is it so different from seeing what a player is saying (lip-read)? and very often directed at the Ref.

Another can-o-worms for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]They seem to be setting themselves up here (The F.A.).

Are they going to charge every player that you can see/hear swearing on TV from now on? Is it so different from seeing what a player is saying (lip-read)? and very often directed at the Ref.

Yep I think its very different if your actually swearing straight into the camera at the viewers at home, be they aged 6 or 66.
  • [cite]Posted By: swedey[/cite]Forces a change to my fantasy team, boo.

You are not allowed to boo........sad reflection on society etc
  • dont know what he said.
    imo punishment is ott.

i know it's a different sport and governing body but leicester and harlequins each had a man sent off for fighting the weekend. their punishment? a 2 week ban, and a 20 second snippet on ssn. because they call the officials sir, that's alright then.
  • Can't help thinking Rooney's asked for it this time. We've just had a week or so of moralising about the respect campaign plus I suspect there's a feeling he got away with a liberty elbowing the Wigan bloke. So, what better than to stick your face into a camera during a live game and let rip.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]They seem to be setting themselves up here (The F.A.).

Yep I think its very different if your actually swearing straight into the camera at the viewers at home, be they aged 6 or 66.

Also bearing in mind there was no ban when he swore into the camera in an England shirt. They play into Ferguson's hands.

""Nice to see your own fans booing you. If that's what loyal support is...for f'***'s sake,"
  • Danny Shittu should get a life ban from football.
  • edited April 2011
    I hate to play the "Disgusted from Tunbridge Wells" role here but I watched the highlights of that game with my two kids on Sunday morning and it really brought home to me how stupid Rooney's behaviour was.

My six year-old is very advanced for his age (and has heard me eff and blind at times) and when Rooney did his thing into the camera my son turned to me and said, "Did Wayne Rooney just tell everyone to 'Eff Off?"

I told him that yes, he had, and that he was probably going to get into a lot of trouble for doing it so I am glad that he has now copped a ban.

Those cameras go right into the living rooms of the hundreds of millions of people all over the UK and the rest of the world whose hard-earned dough has made Rooney a very rich man.

I don't think its too much for us to ask to be able to watch the football with our children without being told to f=== off by some charmless little Scouse pond life, is it?

As an aside, I wonder why Colleen did stay with the multi-millionaire tart-shagger?
  • Well at least the BBC repeated the outburst, unedited on Sunday morning!
    There used to be rules against this sort of thing. Watershed anyone?
  • Serves him right the great overpaid spoiled lummox.
  • Stupid thing to do.

Big difference between swearing on the pitch and the camera picking it up and swearing straight at the camera not once but twice.

Take the ban and shut up about it.
  • It's far too little far too late. For years we've seen players swearing at the refs and nothing has been done (Rooney being one of the worse, but you can substitute pretty much any player from the sky 4 as they seem to think it's their right to get decisions). Ask any ref on here the result of the FA continually ignoring the problem, every little oik on a saturday afternoon or sunday morning assuming they have the right to tell the ref to F off every two minutes.

As Spankie will tell you there's a difference between swearing and swearing at the ref, every week we see Rooney tell the ref to F off, and nothing has ever been done, so why would he not assume he can get away with it?
  • [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]It's far too little far too late. For years we've seen players swearing at the refs and nothing has been done (Rooney being one of the worse, but you can substitute pretty much any player from the sky 4 as they seem to think it's their right to get decisions). Ask any ref on here the result of the FA continually ignoring the problem, every little oik on a saturday afternoon or sunday morning assuming they have the right to tell the ref to F off every two minutes.

As Spankie will tell you there's a difference between swearing and swearing at the ref, every week we see Rooney tell the ref to F off, and nothing has ever been done, so why would he not assume he can get away with it?

Great post and 100% bang on.
  • fully deserved IMO

the bloke is total and utter chav scum
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]It's far too little far too late. For years we've seen players swearing at the refs and nothing has been done (Rooney being one of the worse, but you can substitute pretty much any player from the sky 4 as they seem to think it's their right to get decisions). Ask any ref on here the result of the FA continually ignoring the problem, every little oik on a saturday afternoon or sunday morning assuming they have the right to tell the ref to F off every two minutes.

Two problems with this.

First, he didn't swear at the ref. Second, I can't totally agree with your point about the FA continually ignoring the "problem". Referees have the power to punish (on the field) anyone who uses offensive or abusive language, but they don't. So I can't see how the FA can be entirely to blame for that, the refs have to take a huge proportion fo the blame.
  • I seem to recall an extract from Jeff Winter's autobiography.

He was fourth official at a televised Newcastle v Man Utd game. Giggs was bought down by O'Brien and the ref didn't send O'Brien off. Fergie storms out of his dug out and millions of viewers saw him call the ref and lino an F-ing cheat. There can be no doubt about that. Jeff Winter called it to the attention of the ref who sent Fergie to the stand. He was later charged by the FA and asked for a personal hearing (rather than admit to doing what everybody saw him do and take his punishment like a man). So Jeff is called to the FA for the hearing as the primary witness. He turns up and there's Fergie, the Man Utd MD and 3 lawyers and Jeff Winter is basically put on trial.

If the FA won't back the refs when they are clearly and indisputably in the right, why the hell should the refs enforce rules that the FA clearly have no interest in enforcing. Why would any ref send off a high profile player for foul and abusive language, when the next week the player and his club will turn up with lawyers and make out the ref is in the wrong and the FA will stand by and let it happen.

[cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]It's far too little far too late. For years we've seen players swearing at the refs and nothing has been done (Rooney being one of the worse, but you can substitute pretty much any player from the sky 4 as they seem to think it's their right to get decisions). Ask any ref on here the result of the FA continually ignoring the problem, every little oik on a saturday afternoon or sunday morning assuming they have the right to tell the ref to F off every two minutes.

Two problems with this.

First, he didn't swear at the ref. Second, I can't totally agree with your point about the FA continually ignoring the "problem". Referees have the power to punish (on the field) anyone who uses offensive or abusive language, but they don't. So I can't see how the FA can be entirely to blame for that, the refs have to take a huge proportion fo the blame.

It's a balancing act. No one wants to see a game reduced to 8 a side as referees do take a hell of a lot of foul mouthed stick they could (and probably should) punish for but then again it's got to the stage now where swearing is part and parcel of the game and powers that be at The FA and referees are giving far too much leeway. I tell players not to swear at me as I do not to them. I try to appreciate their passion and desire but swearing is in certain terms inexcusable. This is like differentiating between a mistimed tackle and a reckless one. There are certain words if I was called then it'd be an automatic red card. Both begin with 'c'. Swearing out of frustration is one thing, swearing half at you, half in frustration "for eff's sake ref" and then directly at you "ref you're a *&!%^$" have to be addressed with different levels of punishment and guidelines would help a referee determine which is a talking to, a yellow or a red. The law simply states "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures" and the language is common place now. It's how we interpret it. I do think though a much tougher stance must be adopted and after the usual swathe of early red cards you should start to see player's verbal behaviour improving and that'll filter down the league into semi pro and parks football.
  • To be precise referees don't have the power to punish anone who uses foul and abusive language, they have a duty to punish them. The rules are very clear on this. The player should be sent off. This always used to happen at local level but because most top level referees are weak they have allowed this creep in, making it very difficult for a referree at any level.
  • edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]I seem to recall an extract from Jeff Winter's autobiography.

He was fourth official at a televised Newcastle v Man Utd game. Giggs was bought down by O'Brien and the ref didn't send O'Brien off. Fergie storms out of his dug out and millions of viewers saw him call the ref and lino an F-ing cheat. There can be no doubt about that. Jeff Winter called it to the attention of the ref who sent Fergie to the stand. He was later charged by the FA and asked for a personal hearing (rather than admit to doing what everybody saw him do and take his punishment like a man). So Jeff is called to the FA for the hearing as the primary witness. He turns up and there's Fergie, the Man Utd MD and 3 lawyers and Jeff Winter is basically put on trial.

If the FA won't back the refs when they are clearly and indisputably in the right, why the hell should the refs enforce rules that the FA clearly have no interest in enforcing. Why would any ref send off a high profile player for foul and abusive language, when the next week the player and his club will turn up with lawyers and make out the ref is in the wrong and the FA will stand by and let it happen.

[cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]It's far too little far too late. For years we've seen players swearing at the refs and nothing has been done (Rooney being one of the worse, but you can substitute pretty much any player from the sky 4 as they seem to think it's their right to get decisions). Ask any ref on here the result of the FA continually ignoring the problem, every little oik on a saturday afternoon or sunday morning assuming they have the right to tell the ref to F off every two minutes.

Two problems with this.

Funny you should say that mate. Every tribunal I've been to I've felt like I've been on trial. Players basically trying to debase anything I say, questioning my match control and twisting round what I say. The last one was for a player who went up and thumped another player right in front of me and my two assistants at the end of the match....and he appealed it....!
    The bit about referees taking blame for not enforcing the law comes to wanting to keep 22 players on the pitch to keep everyone happy. It's nothing to do with being 'weak'. I know it sounds silly but sometimes a quiet word and a deaf ear can work wonders with a player. Even using the captain to tell the whole stadium he's on a last warning etc can be used as an alternative to a red card. Common sense maybe? As I said previously no one wants to see a game reduced to 8v8 and then the referee would be goaded for being a Hitler by everyone involved. As I say, a balancing act....
  • edited April 2011
    I think to a certain extent players always have and always will swear, but really since Fergie joined Man Utd and brought with him his very successful tactic of putting pressure on the ref (Aberdeen under fergie chased the ref on mass and Man Utd were the first team here to do the same) top players feel they can say what they like to the ref and be immune from any repercussions. We all see every week, the ref gives a decision and the nearest player clearly tells the ref to F off. That should be a straight red, that's not general swearing, that is verbally abusing the ref, but the refs and FA have bottled it for far too long to the point where it would be a farce if the rules of the game are actually applied as written.

Also, what would happen about swearing in a foreign language? Say Vidic calls the ref a C*** in his own language, gets away with it, until another player understands and tells the ref what was said, but then who does the ref believe, he can't send a player off on the say so of an opponent. It would become a nightmare to enforce properly.

What needs to be done is something at a FIFA level. Like rugby, players shouldn't be speaking to the ref mostly. If there is an incident, only the players directly involved and maybe the captains should be involved, any other player should be sent away (in fact they should never approach, but as discussed above, the managers encourage them to do so), and anybody who runs 40 yards to get involved should be automatically booked.
  • Not sure where I read this, but it made me laugh at the time. Might have been on here...

"When a fight/ confrontation kicks off on the pitch, all players should hear a referees whistle, and when they do, they should immediately sit on the floor cross legged. Anybody left standing is immediately sent off."

I used to be such a huge fan of Rooney as a youngster, as he was living the dream that all kids in the park wanted to live. But somewhere along the line, he got angry. And I don't understand that anger at all. Redknapp put it nicely yesterday when he said "I don't remember Bobby Charlton being angry after he scored". Ronaldinho, Messi, these are players who play with a smile that inspires. If Rooney wasn't so dumb, maybe he'd realise what it takes to be a truly great player. A player can score great goals and put in great performances, but his legacy is so much more.

And for the record, it was, roughly, "You f*****g what? WHAT? F*** off." - But who was he talking to!?

I am so desperate to see zero tolerance in football. It might make me like the sport again, instead of resenting everyone involved. I watched the Basketball play-offs last year, and was so impressed with how they behaved. They use technology intelligently, and minimise contact between players and refs. They accept fouling is part of the sport, and make it part of the sport in a logical way. And because TV replays are used wisely, there are few arguments to be had anyway. Ah, I am really beginning to dislike football.

Sorry, I am rambling.. .