Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sloop John B

All season I've been wondering why fans across the country have suddenly taken up singing this old Beach Boys song.

Could someone please explain what words they are singing? Are they singing the real lyrics 'This is the worst trip I've ever been on,' and if so, why?

Comments

• I want to go home, I want to go home, (insert home club name/ground name), is a shit hole, I wanna go home.
  • Also the original adapted lyrics (by Hull City in their first PL season I believe but adopted by Blackpool amongst others this season...)

I don't want to go home, I don't want to go home, this is the best trip, I've ever been on
  • Thanks for that.

Isn't it strange that it's taken 45 years for football fans to get around to singing this?

How about trying 'Wouldn't it be nice to get promotion, then we wouldn't have to play in League One'
  • edited May 2011
    Although the Beach Boys recorded it is actually an old song from Caribbean sailors. A lot older than 45 years.
  • Hoist up the Watford flag
    Hear all the 'ornets sing
    And if you won't join in I'll sing on my own
    I wanna go home
    I wanna go ho-o-me 
    This is the best trip 
    I've ever been on

When Watford beat us 3-2 at The Valley 2 seasons ago I managed to get on the same train carriage as a whole load of them, who sang this all the way back to London Bridge.
  • love this song, used to sing at school I think (John Ball) and only much much later realised it was covered by/best known version by the Beach Boys
  • The Covered End had loads of songs like this.

These days, the North Upper has the incest song and C-A-F-C.

;o)
  • That Insect song really bugs me........

• That Insect song really bugs me........

ant that the truth!
  • Sponsored links:

• No flies on you Len.......
  • dont forget chickory tips son of my farther... obscure uk one hit wonder sung by many even us i would have guessed.
  • Good one adamtheaddick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIuBhS70sio

oooooohhhhhh, jimmy, jimmy
    jimmy, jimmy, jimmy, jimmy meeelllrose
  • dont forget chickory tips son of my farther... obscure uk one hit wonder sung by many even us i would have guessed.
    Chicory Tip had 3 UK Top 20 hits actually.
  • sorry chirps, way before i was born!!! he he