Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Gossip: Column Rumours of the yesteryears

edited January 2011 in Rumours
Friday afternoon, home early from work, bored so....

Starting with 2003 rumours

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley is hoping to sign Kevin Phillips to play alongside Paolo di Canio this season. (Daily Star)

Julian Gray will become a Charlton player within days if manager Alan Curbishley can thrash out a suitable fee with Crystal Palace. (Daily Express, The Sun)

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has warned Chelsea, Spurs and Everton target Scott Parker that he could ruin his career by leaving the Valley too soon (Daily Mail dated 21st july 2003) - How right he was!

Charlton are keen to sign Portuguese international midfielder Jose Luis Vidigal from Napoli. (The Mirror)

Comments

• are you trying to make me top myself mate...

;)
  • This one will push you over the edge

Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker is set for a shock return to his former club Charlton. (The Sun)

Former Italy star and ex-Chelsea boss Gianluca Vialli is set to buy Millwall for £3m. (Sunday Express, Daily Star Sunday) - Who made that up??

Tottenham and Charlton are among the top clubs tracking Millwall midfielder Paul Ifill. (Daily Star Sunday)

Charlton will make another bid for Southampton striker James Beattie in the January transfer window. (Daily Mirror, The Sun)

Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton is on the verge of a £2m move to Charlton after falling out of favour with Kevin Keegan (Sunday Mirror).

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is considering a second bid for Ipswich's Darren Bent after having an initial offer rejected (Daily Express).

Charlton's bid for Nottingham Forest midfielder Andy Reid may fall flat after Forest insisted the Irishman would not be sold for less than £5m. (Daily Mail)

The Addicks are also keen on Watford's Danny Webber. (News of the World)

Charlton have offered £4m plus Paul Konchesky for Portsmouth striker Ayegbini. (Daily Mirror)

Charlton want to sign former Arsenal player Sylvain Wiltord. (The Sun)

More controversially for Charlton, they could bring former Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Bosnich back to football after an absence from the game following his positive test for cocaine. (Sunday Mirror)

Libyan leader Colonel Gadafi has set his sights on buying Premiership newboys Crystal Palace (The Guardian)

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is plotting a cut-price offer for England and Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell. (Daily Mirror)

Charlton are lining up a bid for £5m-rated PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman. (Sunday Mirror)

Tim Cahill to complete a £4m move from Millwall to Charlton, ending the hopes of Everton and Aston Villa to sign the midfielder. (Sunday Mirror)

Arsenal striker Kanu is set to join Charlton - as long as he agrees to take a pay cut (Daily Star).

Charlton and Fulham are both offering £1m for Matthew Etherington after West Ham withdrew a new offer. (Daily Mail)

Actually, Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is the preferred candidate among the Liverpool board with a meeting having taken place last month. (The Daily Telegraph)

Charlton must wait for the completion of the Swedish and Danish leagues before discovering if they have won a place in the Uefa Cup via the Fair Play League. (The Guardian)

Brentford boss Martin Allen is targeting former West Ham and Charlton star Paolo di Canio. (The Sun)

Charlton have lined up moves for Marc Overmars and Robert Earnshaw. (Sunday Mirror)

Long-serving Arsenal centre-back Martin Keown could be on his way to West Ham in search for regular football although Charlton, Blackburn, Portsmouth and Newcastle are all keeping an eye on the 37-year-old's situation. (Daily Express)

Charlton aim to grab Kevin Davies from Bolton this summer. (News of the World)

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is tracking Leicester midfielder Muzzy Izzett. (Daily Mirror)

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has rejected speculation the club is about to move for Dutch midfielder Mark van Bommel, saying agents are responsible for the rumour. (Sun)

Charlton are lining up a bid for Birmingham defender Darren Purse, provided the player can prove his fitness. (Mirror)

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy insists he wants a major European name as the club's next manager. That would appear to rule out Charlton's Alan Curbishley, who reportedly tops Spurs short list (Daily Telegraph).

Tottenham's search for a new manager will focus on Alan Curbishley - if Charlton fail to reach the Champions League - with Giovanni Trapattoni playing hard to get. (The Mirror).

Charlton are set to sign Salomon Olembe for £1m in the summer. Marseille's Cameroon international is currently on loan at Leeds. (The Independent)

And the Addicks are also interested in bringing Celtic's Alan Thompson and Nottingham Forest's Andy Reid to The Valley. (the Independent)

Chelsea's out-of-favour midfielder Emmanuel Petit has sent a 'come and get me' plea to rival London clubs Tottenham, Charlton and Fulham. (The Mail)
  • Charlton have lined up moves for Marc Overmars and Robert Earnshaw. (Sunday Mirror)

Marc Overmars & Mark van Bommel I think some of these writers were on the mushrooms.
  • Tottenham's search for a new manager will focus on Alan Curbishley - if Charlton fail to reach the Champions League - with Giovanni Trapattoni playing hard to get. (The Mirror).

That to me shows how far we have fallen. Onwards and Upwards Again though
  • We were an attractive club to go play for back then..just finished 7th in the premier league and had a bit of dosh to spend, we couldve ended up with a PSV threesome of Rommedahl, Van Bommel and Kezman.
  • I was so excited about Kezman.
    even when he said something on the lines of - I have to join Charlton as I cant expect the big clubs to sign me when I have not managed to score in champions league. Hopefully will score goals and get a move to one of them.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I was so excited about Kezman.
    even when he said something on the lines of - I have to join Charlton as I cant expect the big clubs to sign me when I have not managed to score in champions league. Hopefully will score goals and get a move to one of them.

Me too, would have loved that. Can't remember the source, but we were linked by one of the papers with Javier Portillo at Real Madrid once upon a time. That didn't go anywhere and I don't think his career did either.
  • Just goes to show what a load of b+**%$ks the rumour mill is, as Henry says "I believe it when its on the OS"
  • Kezman & Darren Bent up front would have been immense
  • Portillo: Touted as the new Raúl when playing for the youth "C" team

Ten years later he's scored something like 55 goals in 200 apps for all and sundry, mostly in the 2nd and regional divisions of Spain and U21 football
  • Sponsored links:

• I just like that we were considered Chelsea's London 'rivals' at one point. Palace can't even be bothered to make fun of us anymore these days
  • I think we should be bombing Selhurst just incase Gadaffi is hled up there in a Saddam Hussain style bunker.
  • Libyan leader Colonel Gadafi has set his sights on buying Premiership newboys Crystal Palace (The Guardian)

Hahahaha
  • Manchester United face stiff competition for the signings of young Portuguese starlets Christiano Ronaldo and Ricardo Queresma (Sky Sports)
  • Out of all those rumours i think if we had signed Cahill from Millwall we would still be in the premiership and pushing for God knows what had we also got bent and reid.
  • Cahill, Etherington, Bent, van Bommel, Overmars, Wiltord, Kezman, Davies, Vassell, Yakubu, Barton

Pouso, Cook, Gray, McCormack, Gillespie, Dickson, Kandol, Abbott, Francis, Butterfield, M Bent
  • Well we eventually got Reid.                                                                                                                              

Three stone heavier than when we first were rumoured to be after him but we still got him!!

• Charlton Athletic are understood to have made a renewed bid for Sheffield United's England Under-21 star Phil Jagielka.
    A number of clubs, including Aston Villa, are looking to land Jagielka and it is believed that Blades boss Neil Warnock is bracing himself to lose his skipper - with Charlton favourites to land him.

The 21-year-old Manchester-born star only agreed a new long-term deal in January - but United will be hard-pressed to keep hold of him.

Jagielka - who can play in defence or midfield - is seen as one of the best young talents outside The Premiership.
  • Having read this thread I have pleaded with my family to keep me away from sharp knives until I calm down.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was reading the link that @EastTerrace posted and told the Mrs I can't believe where we are now when I read things like that.

She blamed Dowie and then told me that he is the next person to be involved in a super-injunction. The woman involved wants to keep her identity hidden.
    Then followed it up by calling him an ugly prick.

I think the full on supporter is coming out of her, I came back from a jog the other day and she was singing Valley Floyd Road while making dinner.