Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wanting Man U to win because they're English or backing Barcelona?

I friend of mine started one of those Facebook polls asking the question:

Should we want Manchester United to win because they are English?

Friends of mine who support Man U are telling me that I should support them this evening on the basis that they are English but I disagree. To me there seems a certain irony that a team famed for attracting support from all over the World should all of a sudden demand loyalty from it's countrymen on the basis of nationalistic pride. Personally I'm backing Barcelona this evening. 

What do you lot think?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Just posted this on a similar thread -
    Dont like Man U, however they are an English team and hence they have my
    support for tonight.....cant bring myself to support any foriegn team
    that is playing a English one.
  • I always support the English sides, bar Tottenham.
  • Barca for me. Not a fan of Man Utd.

Don't understand the need to support an English team over a foreign one. Would you want Millwall or Palace to win ? Thought not.
  • I had one of those early morning moments and completely missed the other thread. 
  • What sort of English club sings Argentina/Portugal etc, has banners claiming to e bigger than the national side etc. F.ck United, come on Barca
  • Man U market themselves as a global club, they have more supporters internationally, than nationally, than locally.  They are not English they are Global. 
  • Torn on this one.  Can't stand the Barca diving, cheating and waving imaginary cards: on the other hand if Messi, Iniesta and Xavi play at their best they are magic to watch.  Their destruction of Real in the league earlier this season has to be one of the most brilliant games I have ever seen.  As for mufc, although they are there representing our English league, is there any funnier sight than old red nose blowing a gasket if they lose?  I hope for an entertaining game and may the worst team lose.
  • Hate Man U

But got support a team from your own Country

• Hate both, Barca for having an amazing team but seem to rely on Messi and diving too much, hate Man United because most of their supporters are glory hunting feckwits from anywhere but Manchester, and Rooney, Ferdinand et al are right arrogant to$$ers too
  • I'm more interested in Stevenage V Torquay.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm supporting the English team... well Barcelona have the flag of St George in their crest as the patron saint of Catalunya. Good enough for me. 100% with PH.
  • Yes want manure to win as they are from England but mostly want a great game
  • I always favour (support suggests more interest than I often have) the English team against outsiders no matter how much I dislike them.

Yes  SHG even Millwall or Palace although one hopes it will never be put to the test!

• I'm supporting Barcelona...
  • Barcelona.

Really admire Man united as a club with its history and achievements and think Ferguson is great but cant stand rooney and many of their legions of plastic fans who have as much right to be Man Utd as I do Barcelona.

The anti English element really winds me up too. If we are that dislikeable there are plenty of other places to live in the world and the thick cnuts fail to notice what country Manchester is in.

Like supporting the New York Yankees and burning the stars and stripes. Muppets.

The whole Cockney Reds thing is cringeworthy with southerners singing songs in faux Manc accents. Embarrassing and no way for grown men to behave.

• Barca are a team loved around the world as united are , unicef is hardly a spanish thing so imo that pony argument is gone
    I'd always want an english club side to win if it didn't have an affect on our local rivalry or financially help a club who we would be considered to be in competition with (like say fulham when we were in the prem)
    So gotta be united for me but I actually want penalties to see who has the real nerve when the pressure is proper on
    He who dares rodney
  • Man U, if the coefficient goes up there's more chance of us getting into Europe.
  • Do we dislike our fans that don't come from local to Charlton or is it ok to like us and cone from a different area cos we are pony
    I don't get this we're superior than other supporters bollox
    Each to their own
    I have mates who are charlton season ticket holders but follow man utd when they can get to see em , which isn't that easy
  • Ooh aah to answer your question.

My brother in law (practically) is Man united,he comes from Kent.

He always has the latest man u shirt and is constantly on about them.  He's seen them once this season.

Yes I am a superior football supporter and a superior human being as far as im concerned.

• He's seen them once this season.

I'm actually impressed with that Rodney, that's once more than the majority of man u I know

Unless it was the Charity Shield that is... if it was, I take it back as even I've seen them once this season if we're counting that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Paddy power are refunding bets if barca beat man utd in 90 mins.

Was thinking of putting a fiver on most barca players to score first. If one of them scores I'm quids in but not sure if I'd get the other bets refunded. Any ideas
  • I really don't like London-based Man U "fans" who never go to games. Then again, I'm not that keen on London-based Man U fans that do go to games. I feel you should support your local team.... Hmm, which means I probably should support Welling.
  • I can't see past the gloryhunting and blatant bent refereeing and FA decisions towards Man Utd so I'll be supporting Barcelona.
  • I haven't made my mind up yet.  I used always hope against the English teams as I'd see them as rivals to Charlton and wouldn't want any of them to get any result that would raise their status against ours.  Since then, we've slid so far down the dunghill that it doesn't matter anymore.

I used to hate Man U with a passion, but I've warmed to them recently to the point of ambivalence.  This is probably because Chelsea are my new bête noire  If anyone can give me some solid reasons why I should support one side or the other I'd be really grateful.
  • If anyone can give me some solid reasons why I should support one side or the other I'd be really grateful.
    Of Barcelona's starting XI, 8 came through La Masia (5 are Catalan). In terms of nationality, 8 are Spanish and Messi has been there since he was 13/14 years of age.

On the other hand, of Manchester United's starting XI, 1 came through their academy (not born in Manchester but lived there and I'm not counting Rafael, he arrived at 17 so whatever the pathetic "homegrown" player rules tell you he is not "homegrown"). In terms of nationality, 3 are English and 1 Welsh.

Something to admire...
  • I supported Barcelona against Arsenal but will be supporting Man Utd against Barcelona. Why?

1. I hate Arsenal with a passion
    2. I can't stand Wenger with his two faced sly comments about England when on French TV.
    3. Man Utd do have some English players (even though I too can't stand Rooney and Ferdinand, there are also Carrick and Scholes). Generally, I can stomach Man Utd better than Arsenal or Chelsea.
    4. Barcelona are now a bunch of cheating gits.

• All this 'london based' fans etc is shite in these days of globalisation.........can't understand how any tru and loyal Englishman can wabt the cheating, diving Barcelona to win. I hate them.
  • edited May 2011
    Hate London based Man U fans with a passion. Have tremendous admiration for the club and Ferguson but just hate those fans who live in London and the South East who make a big thing about following Man U. I want to see their pain tonight. But, in any case, Barcelona are easily a better team than this Man U side.
  • If anyone can give me some solid reasons why I should support one side or the other I'd be really grateful.
    Of Barcelona's starting XI, 8 came through La Masia (5 are Catalan). In terms of nationality, 8 are Spanish and Messi has been there since he was 13/14 years of age.

On the other hand, of Manchester United's starting XI, 1 came through their academy (not born in Manchester but lived there and I'm not counting Rafael, he arrived at 17 so whatever the pathetic "homegrown" player rules tell you he is not "homegrown"). In terms of nationality, 3 are English and 1 Welsh.

Something to admire...
    But why should we want to support Spaniards? Does it matter if they play for a Spanish club or not?
  • Hate London based Man U fans with a passion. Have tremendous admiration for the club and Ferguson but just hate those fans who live in London and the South East who make a big thing about following Man U. I want to see their pain tonight. But, in any case, Barcelona are easily a better team than this Ma U side.
    But if they show real 'pain' then doesn't that mean that they do care which in turn means that their 'support' means something?