Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terror in the skys......

Flew into City Airport last night in the middle of a torrential down pour. Thunder and lightning the lot.

Spent 25 mins doing figure 8s over Dartford.

Eventually turned for the airport and the pilot comes on the intercom.

"Ladies and gents. Adverse weather at City Airport. Please do not be alarmed if our approach feels overly violent"

Followed by 3-4mins of terror as the plane lurched all over the place. Never felt a plane slow down so quickly as we came over the river. Physically thrown forward as it happened.

Never helps when you catch the stewards glancing nervously at each other!

Anyone else had any horror stories?

Comments

• Options
    Used to regularly fly into city in the little twin prop Fokker 50s, they get thrown about like paper.  Had drinks flying everywhere a couple of times and punters wailing and reaching for the vom bags a few times.  Treat it like a rollercoaster and enjoy.
  • Options
    Used to regularly fly into city in the little twin prop Fokker 50s, they get thrown about like paper.  Had drinks flying everywhere a couple of times and punters wailing and reaching for the vom bags a few times.  Treat it like a rollercoaster and enjoy.

This was a BA city flyer. Would have been slightly less shocked if it had been one of the little turbo props.
  • Options
    Hong Kong last year was the worst approach I've had, all over the place, but got to about 500 feet out and all of a sudden it went completely calm. Bizarre. Worst landing ever was a few years back at Stansted - landed in a force 8 girl and lurched so far on landing that the wing dipped and couldn't have been more than 5 feet from the ground. Utterly terrifying.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Off the runway landing at Bangkok in monsoon. Gentle sideways slide onto the grass, just enough to cause panic in the cabin.
    Much worse off the end of the runway landing at Dalian in northern China. Really was saying my goodbyes.

Close work colleague was in the last Phuket crash, again monsoon rain thumped the plane down and broke it. All those in neighbouring seats died, including his brother.

My first proper job was to help pull an plane out of Hong Kong harbour when it over ran at Kai Tak and its nose gently tipped into the bay.
  • Options
    Hong Kong last year was the worst approach I've had, all over the place, but got to about 500 feet out and all of a sudden it went completely calm. Bizarre. Worst landing ever was a few years back at Stansted - landed in a force 8 girl and lurched so far on landing that the wing dipped and couldn't have been more than 5 feet from the ground. Utterly terrifying.

Not sure what a force 8 girl is but would like to find out! ;-)
  • Options
    That's the birds in Hong Kong for you Clem!

• Options
    Said it on here before but in my way to Faliraki a few years ago our plane just struck by lightening, coukd smell burning then smoke started comung into the cabin. Had to emergency land in Paris. I'd have been shitting myself if I wasnt so pissed.
  • Options
    As a kid I was pretty worried when we went to Majorca and the engine casing fell away as soon as we landed.  Later found out that it's a standard safety feature for an overheating aero engine.  I guess I should have noticed that it was still swinging there on a hinge.
  • Options
    Lol - useless predictive text! Or should that be 'productive ticks'? :)
  • Options
    pretty much every flight I make from Vancouver into Calgary ( a monthly occurence at least), the descent over the Canadian Rockies and into an often wind blown Calgary is always interesting - moreso this time of year when the prairie thundercells are a daily menace & you never know when a tornado might crop up....but then again is the summer turbulence & thunderstorms better than when it's -30 on the ground & a snowstorm is ravaging the city...hard to tell really, always impressed at the calmness of the cabin crew as we are being buffeted around

i think part of the reason City Airport is quite dramatic is the high angle of approach & takeoff, used to love my flights to the continent from that place - one of the best little airports in the world :-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The worst flying experience i ever had was not being able to have a cigarette for 14 hours on the way to Mexico. I was climbing the walls and I was a 40 a day man then.  

Not had a smoke for 12 years now.
  • Options
    Worst one was flying into Gatwick from Belfast, not much of a plane anorak all I know is it had propellers and only 4 seats wide. Anyway as we approached the runway the winds were so strong it blew the plane sideways, I could see the runway at right angles to the plane out of my window and only a few hundred feet off the ground.

Did also fly over the top of an electrical storm up the Eastern coast of the US, quite amazing although I had appendicitis at the time so couldn't take much in at all that flight.
  • Options
    Flew into City Airport from Dublin in plane loaded with rugby players and fans. Small Saab jet with 2 seats one side of the aisle and only 1 on the other. 

Caught in strong gust of wind just before landing. 

One set of wheels on the ground for what seemed ages before the other.

The rescue boat in the dock is very reassuring.

• Options
    Had one or two similar flights- alarming for those on board but not particularly dangerous- planes can take it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

These are the times I miss Soundas.

He tells a great story about his time over Berlin as a bomb aimer when the Anti Aircraft fire took out both his starboard engines......

• Options
    loving the above...mine was from Tampa to NY Newark.  The worst turbulence I've even faced, non stop, never seemed to get out of the clouds?  Anyway, drops a plenty, lots of worried faces on the crew and no rest bite for two hours.  To make it worse was stuck in the middle of two fat septics who moaned & groaned the whole way, calling into question how the plane was being flown and constantly talked about dying and the plane crashing across me.

Stiff upper lip and all that the only thing I said was "I don't know how to fly a plane but I'm guessing he's (the pilot) doing the best he can and I'd rather have him up there than either of you two"

Needless to say we aren't pen pals.
  • Options
    loving the above...mine was from Tampa to NY Newark.  The worst turbulence I've even faced, non stop, never seemed to get out of the clouds?  Anyway, drops a plenty, lots of worried faces on the crew and no rest bite for two hours.  To make it worse was stuck in the middle of two fat septics who moaned & groaned the whole way, calling into question how the plane was being flown and constantly talked about dying and the plane crashing across me.

Stiff upper lip and all that the only thing I said was "I don't know how to fly a plane but I'm guessing he's (the pilot) doing the best he can and I'd rather have him up there than either of you two"

Needless to say we aren't pen pals.
    LOL - I've done something similar on a plane when someone's been griping about it. Asked the stupid cow after she moaned about the turbulence whether she thought she could fly the plane better. That shut her up.

It's 'respite', btw - not 'rest bite' - though that did make me giggle!
  • Options
    Travelling from LAX to JFK a few years ago. The aftermath of Hurricane (Insert silly persons name). 

Once we hit the turbulence it seemed to be non-stop all the way there. Landed in gale. Crew worried, people sick and crying - basically snot and tears everywhere. 

When we landed palpable relief. Didn't want to fly ever again,  unfortunately I had to fly out a few days later back to the UK. 
  • Options
    My worst landing was at Gatwick coming down from Manchester. After 3 aborted attempts to land in high winds, the pilot announced that he would TRY once more. The staff looked nervous. After he landed, the pilot said "All safe and sound, We are the last one in tonight before I suspect". THen he added "The Air France plane decided to turn back to Paris". This brought a cheer - I am not quite sure why,

Worst take off was one that Air Asia aborted half way down the runway. The pilot came on that it was perfectly normal and that we should remain calm. I didnt find it that normal.

Worst in midair was on my way to Jakarta when the plane lurched many times and people were screaming.
  • Options
    I think alot of you need to watch Air Crash Investigation, never flown since watching that, never will. As they say in the old West you have a price on your head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An ancient DC9 charter that hit air turbulence seconds from landing and
    came down nose-wheel first.  That got gasps from the
    cabin crew.
    On a funnier note, waiting for a flight out of Mahe to Praslin on an Air Seychelles Trislander.  Sitting in a departure hut (yes, it really was made out of grass as was the runway on Praslin).  The Trislander is basically an Islander with an extra engine stuck on the tail.  It's a small plane and the extra engine is heavy.  Pilot (Australian) sitting up front doing his pre-flight checks.  Ground crew (local) loading luggage.  This goes at the back of the plane.  Thing is you're not supposed to load the luggage until the passengers are on board as they counterbalance it.  The weight of the luggage tilted the plane back breaking the tailplane and leaving the front wheel swinging about in the air and the pilot having to jump from the plane to the ground.
    Meanwhile, the ground crew are trying to put the broken pieces of tail back on.... :-O
    Having eventually managed to get out of the plane the pilot then beats the crap out of the ground crew.  Thankfully they found another plane for us to use!

• Options
    I think alot of you need to watch Air Crash Investigation, never flown since watching that, never will. As they say in the old West you have a price on your head.
    What a load of old tosh... less chance of dying in a plane than a car FACT.
  • Options
    True.
    But more chance of surviving a car crash than an air crash ;-)
  • Options
    perhaps Dazzler (don't know, haven't got the stats but I'll guess yes) but per journey made the answer may well be different
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    More chance of fatality being stung by a bee - about 1 in every 2 million planes crash and that includes the Russian and African ones. Every plane crash makes the news. When was the last plane that crashed because of turbulance?
  • Options
    More chance of fatality being stung by a bee - about 1 in every 2 million planes crash and that includes the Russian and African ones. Every plane crash makes the news. When was the last plane that crashed because of turbulance?

I remember one very well. Cuba 8 years ago. Killed all 16 passengers plus the crew, two were family members of mine.

Wing was ripped off by turbalance.  Rare I grant you but it happens.

Wont find me traveling on mickey mouse airlines

• Options
    Flying into Nice in the south of France is an interesting one. The runway goes out like a Pier into the sea, as you land all you can see left, right and ahead is the sea !
  • Options
    we had a pretty huge storm here in Alberta yesterday - thankfully my next flight is not until tomorrow morning.....

nice video in this article of a big Lufthansa jet making a textbook landing at the airport yesterday, bet it was a bit scary on that plane though, the approach into Calgary is normally pretty turbulent even on the calmest days

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2011/11/28/calgary-storm-cleanup.html?cmp=rss

• Options
    High gusts of wind over Gatwick in April coming back from Ibiza. About twenty feet above ground the pilot decided he didn't fancy it and hit the afterburners. Much circling later and the approach was even worse. How the wing didn't touch the ground...
  • Options
    Flew through a hurricane to Barbados in 2007 - were delayed at first then they decided it was safe - very, very turbulent, I'm normally a very good flyer but definitely heart in the mouth time!

Arrived to a massive storm because of it too, still got a few videos on my laptop of palm trees at 45 degree angles in the wind, but luckily it blew itself out in a day or so - awesome place after that!