Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Promotion

Ok,who thinks this year is our year? Lets take off our rose tinted specs,forget about our love for all things Charlton,leave the pessimism at the door and put your hand on your heart.....Can Charlton finally get out of League 1 this season? I genuinely think we will do it but not automatically,we are play off bound.

Comments

• I think that we have a good chance, but interestingly there are other London Clubs such as Brentford and Orient looking ambitious. I am not expecting anyone to get far away from the pack like last season, and consistency will be crucial as well as a defence that doesn't ship many goals.

Wherever we finish, I am confident that we will be playing better football than for some time. 

• I think the promotion race will be more open this season - don't think there are any stand-out teams like Brighton and Southampton this season.

With the signings we have made there will be a lot of pressure on us to succeed this year and other teams will see us as a serious scalp - really must rediscover our home form early on and make the Valley a fortress rather than a repeat of last season when teams came to us and felt they were in with a chance if they kept it tight for the first half and waited for our defence to make the inevitable mistake!
  • I think the promotion race will be more open this season - don't think there are any stand-out teams like Brighton and Southampton this season.

With the signings we have made there will be a lot of pressure on us to succeed this year and other teams will see us as a serious scalp - really must rediscover our home form early on and make the Valley a fortress rather than a repeat of last season when teams came to us and felt they were in with a chance if they kept it tight for the first half and waited for our defence to make the inevitable mistake!
    In which the crowd need to play their part and not start getting on the teams or individuals back after the first misplaced pass or missed tackle.
  • Remember it's not just about how we've improved. Does anyone know that much about how Huddersfield, the Sheffield clubs and Preston have looked this summer?

I'm quietly confident, but no more than that.
  • Of course not.
    We'l miss playoffs by 2/3 positions.
  • Remember it's not just about how we've improved. Does anyone know that much about how Huddersfield, the Sheffield clubs and Preston have looked this summer?
    Wouldn't pay much attention to pre-season friendlies - some teams will not sort out their squads until late August and may make a relatively poor start to the season - it's who's still in the mix by Xmas we need to be concerned about (assuming we are still in contention)
  • I think that if we can finish in the top two we'll have a good chance of promotion.
  • I am expecting promotion, but then I always do. I wonder how long the mysterons will stick around if we continue to wallow in L1.
  • I think that we have the nucleus of a promotion side now. Before those credentials are cemented we will need at least one more striker and one more centre back. Given that those two happen I think the squad is capable. The question Mark for me hangs over CP and AD. I am hopeful.
    Wouldn't pay much attention to pre-season friendlies - some teams will not sort out their squads until late August and may make a relatively poor start to the season - it's who's still in the mix by Xmas we need to be concerned about (assuming we are still in contention)
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear - I didn't mean solely their pre-season friendly performances, more how they've done in the transfer market and whether their squads are significantly stronger/weaker.
  • Sponsored links:

• If BWP can have a similar season as last year and our defence is solid i think we've got as good a chance as any. Think the team had to carry BWP at times in terms of contribution outside of the box but he worked hard against den bosh and with the service it looks like our midfield can provide he is always going to put away chances
  • I think we can ... and the money I have 'deposited' with Paddy Power backs that up ;-)
  • The squad on paper looks good enough to mount at least a decent play off push compared to the other teams in the division.

It's all going to come down to how good CP really is and how much he has learnt from last season and if he basically get results, I personally haven't seen much in him as a manager so far to suggest he's the man to lead us to glory but I'll be happily proved wrong. This is his team now playing the way he wants, let's not get too excited the last time we spent money was when we first came down from the Prem and were the favourites to go up...I hope/think we've all had too many false dawns and disappointments in the last 5 years to not get too bullish about this season...not until we win our first 10 games anyway ;-)
  • Just looking forward to us being competitive again. Think we'll be right in the mix, can't see us running away with it, as I believe it'll take us a month or so to really get going. I don't expect us to look as desperate when we're under pressure this season, think our defence will have better midfield protecting them and can't see us throwing games away as much as we did last year.

Optimistic for promotion/playoffs
  • Encouragingly we've signed players who've largely done v well in this division. How soon they can gel, how patient the fans will be, how well our fresh unproven manager will cope, and how soon we can collectively establish a genuine winning mentality, are all unknown factors, but I reckon we'll be well in there once everything settles and the best combinations are found.

Top six pre-Christmas, finishing second, with plenty of goals from midfield. Fingers crossed...

• I think we might start off slowly whilst the team gels but I think we'll finish strongly like Southampton last season. With this midfield we'll comfortably finish in the top two.
  • On paper, I dont see a squad in the division I would swap ours for (unlike Soton for example last year). The biggest shock are the teams coming down. Seriously, take a look at their websites. They could all struggle big time. A couple of journeymen scattered amongst some youth players.

We CANNOT fail this year.

• The current squad (and management) looks a lot better than the one that got into the play-offs in 2010. And I don't see any Norwichs or Leeds or Southamptons around, though Wednesday are likely to be competitive this year (Blades are in bad financial trouble). We should be aiming to challenge for the title but home form (and therefore a positive atmosphere at the Valley) is vital.

We need to make sure the atmosphere comes right before the performances do and not the other way around. We don't need fear of failure to start affecting this new bunch like it got to some of the previous squads. 

• Don't expect promotion. The league is highly competitive this year with the usual candidates, both Sheffields, Hudd and Preston not to mention the London teams ala Brentford and Orient who are putting together a handy squad. Realistically think playoffs are our best hope.
  • already in the play-off spots which in encouraging...
  • Sponsored links:

• We will win the league and be 10 points clear by Christmas - You heard it here first ;)

On a realistic note, Playoff's by Christmas, A strong Finnish = 2nd
  • I never bet on us as have had my fingers burnt toomany times inthe past but this year I ventured into my piggy bank and have had a flutter on us for the title. Says it all.
  • I always bet on us, and sometimes it has come off.  I do not see any strength in this leauge this year, if we don't get out this year then we could be here for some time. Home gate average this year 11,500 which will be down on last year which was down on the year before. I thinks its crucial to our long term survival that we get out. optimistically, I think we have moved in the right direction.

As for having a bet, when we drew 2-2 at Norich I think we were second and they were 6th/7th. I walked out of that game and back Norwich at 12/1 to win the leauge. They were just so much better than us, and played so so much better than I had seen us play all season. That is how I want other teams to talk about us this season.       

• think we can go up but think the next 2 or 3 signings are crucial - a good target man and a good pacy central defender and i will be hoping for top 2. Without them, not so sure.  
  • If teams like Rochdale and Leyton Orient were pushing for a Playoff spot last year then theres no doubt that we will get there this year.
  • think we can go up but think the next 2 or 3 signings are crucial - a good target man and a good pacy central defender and i will be hoping for top 2. Without them, not so sure.  
    Agree. Those types of players could really improve the team.

I hope the signings Powell wants are ones that will make a big difference, rather than players just to give us a few more options.
  • Think this season will be a nail biter with us challenging but it will go to the wire. Looking forward to it much more
  • edited July 2011

If teams like Rochdale and Leyton Orient were pushing for a Playoff spot last year then theres no doubt that we will get there this year.

Agreed but only if we can match the effort and passion of the likes of Rochdale & Orient together with the skills we hope our new team possess.
  • There has been huge investment in the squad by L1 standards and if we are not in the PO's at Christmas then we will be getting a new manager as our Christmas present.

There is no way that Slater is going to accept anything less than the PO's having put this amount of dough into the squad.

There really are no excuses for Powell now.

• the last two seasons have been an easy call on who was going up automatically

and anyone with over half a brain would have called it right at christmas, each time, despite all the "they can still blow it" bollox spouted by some

i think we've as good a chance as any one and fully expect us to be in the mix

so wait till christmas and i'll tell you the top two