Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our Promotion Rivals - How are they shaping up?

Part 1 - Sheffield Wednesday

Only 21 players on the books

1 Nicky Weaver
2 Lewis Buxton
3 Julian Bennett
4 Daniel Batth
5 Rob Jones
6 Jose Semedo
7 David Prutton
11 Jermaine Johnson
12 Liam Palmer
13 Mark Beevers
14 Gary Madine
15 Chris Sedgwick
16 James O'Connor
17 Reda Johnson
18 Mark Reynolds
19 Clinton Morrison
20 Jon Otsemobor
21 Daniel Jones
22 Giles Coke
23 Richard O'Donnell
24 Arron Jameson

Some well known names and two ex-Addicks of course.  And no. 8, 9 & 10 unallocated which suggests they still expect to sign three first teamers.

Comments

• Part 2 - Huddersfield

Town seem to have the opposite problem of too many players

LEE Clark is ready to trim the fat from his 32 man squad ahead of the new League one season.

Huddersfield have of course sold Anthony Pilkington and Lee Peltier thus far but 7 signings have made their way to The Galpharm.

Liam Cooper, Oscar Gobern, Damien Johnson, Donal McDermott, Tommy Miller, Calum Woods and pick of the bunch so far Danny Ward.

In addition Danny Cadamarteri, Nick Colgan and Antony Kay have negotiated new deals that will see them stay with The Terriers.

With
    the match-day squads being cut from 7 substitutes to five this season
    and the new salary cap's introduction looming Clark must streamline the
    squad.

Lee Clark spoke to the Examiner about his thinking:-

"We need to streamline, because the squad we have at the moment is too big,"

"Certain players have been told they don`t figure in our long-term plans and they and their agents should look for other clubs."

There
    were no names mentioned but many Town fans will instantly be thinking
    Gary Roberts, whereas Nathan Clarke and Robbie Simpson have already been
    told they can leave.

• Anthony Pilkington is a big loss for Huddersfield IMHO
  • Part 3 - Brentford

Despite signing rumoured Charlton target Clayton Donaldson and ex-Swindon star Jonathan Douglas the Bees still have a small squad.   They would also like to get Schlupp back on loan.

RENTFORD boss Uwe Rosler wants to add two more faces to his squad.

Injuries to Kirk Hudson and Toumani Diagouraga means the German has just 17 outfield players at his disposal ahead of the start of the season in 10 days time.

And he hopes to bolster the numbers before the big kick-off against Yeovil on August 6.

Rosler said: "We have 21
    players under contract. One of those, Kirk Hudson, is a long-term
    injury, we have two keepers and Toumani [Diagouraga] is injured.

We need two more players. We can't go into the season with only 17 outfield players, especially with six games in August."

• Pretty good squad ... at least on paper ... at Wednesday
  • robbie simpson is someone we should look at, did well at brentford on loan last season
    I would say only Batth and Buxton at RB would get in our team. Maybe Madine alongside BWP.
  • Shame Hudd still have Rhodes, quality player. Beavers for Sheff Wed is top draw too. Surprised they let Morrison go actually.
    I would say only Batth and Buxton at RB would get in our team. Maybe Madine alongside BWP.

Semedo and Prutton would be there or thereabouts as well

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Don't let that debate start for the 87th time.

Anyone else want to research some of the other L3 squads and post them up as I can't be bothered.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2011

Part 4 Leyton Orient

The O's are my local team and I have many friends who support them.

I think the O's could go either way this season and their supporters seem to believe that they have become stronger in the summer and will be there or thereabouts this season . There was speculation that Slade would depart for Barnsley as his family still lives in the North but Hearn denied him permission to speak to them and he remains at Brisbane Road. 

Incomers include Scott Cuthbert from Swindon , Jamie Cureton from Exeter ,Leon Mcsweeney from Hartlepool , Marc Laird from Millwall and of course the Moon David Mooney one of the first Charltonised players who actually has a good scoring record in this Division.

Departing are the three Spurs loanees Tom Caroll ,Harry Kane and Jose M'puku although it is beleived that Caroll and Kane could return  , M'puku has rejoined Standard Leige on a permanent deal . The O's seem to think they have a 'special relationship' with with Harry's boys so expect some loanees to them from the Lane . Tonight they play a Tottenham 11 which will include Crouch , Defoe and Keane .

Other departures include  Adam Barrett , Aaron Brown ,Adam Chambers , Ryan Jarvis ,Andrew Whing and ex Addick Scott McGleish .

• edited July 2011

Part 5:
    Preston North End

2. David
    Gray

3. Conor
    McLaughlin

4. Ian
    Ashbee

5. Clarke
    Carlisle<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

6. Craig
    Morgan

7. Ian Hume

8. Paul
    Coutts

9. Jamie
    Proctor

10. Barry
    Nicholson

11. Keith
    Treacy

15. Adam
    Barton

16. Danny
    Mayor

17. Paul
    Parry

18. Daniel
    Devine

20. Darel
    Russell

21. Iain
    Turner

23. Scott
    Leather

24. Seanan
    Clucas

25. Andreas
    Estidou

26. Bailey
    Wright

27. Jamie
    Douglas

28. George
    Miller

29. Doyle
    Middleton

33. Neil
    Mellor

Some good
    players in there and definitely potential challengers. However, there doesn't
    appear to be much strength in depth and, with a couple of injuries, they could
    struggle to live up to their billing as promotion candidates. Treacy, Carlisle
    etc could be great at this level. They have lost Andy Lonergan (to Leeds), Paul
    Hayes (to us) and Sean St Ledger (to Leicester) this summer, and Jon Parkin (to
    Cardiff) last January. They could prove to be big misses; however, fans seems
    to be reasonably pleased with the starting XI, if not the depth of the squad.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Don't let that debate start for the 87th time.

Anyone else want to research some of the other L3 squads and post them up as I can't be bothered.

Madine is a good call though he gets in more off field scrapes than Barton and Carroll combined.

Huddersfield have lost good players and will be demoralised. Wednesday are in turmoil

Sheffield United and Scunthorpe are my main worry but over all CAFC after a total spring clean look to be potentially the strongest and mosy highly motivated team in the division. Young, gifted and back.

I expect strong seasons from Hartlepool, Stevenage and Orient, weak ones from Bournemoiuth and Exeter who have lost the excellent Harley to Swansea

• Danny Ward could be the signing of the summer for 'uddersfield.
  • Was he the bolton lad that was on loan at Swindon (did well against us in the p-offs)?
  • Are Brentford really contenders?
  • Are Brentford really contenders?
    Personally, I don't think so. Top-half that might sneak play-offs at best, but fall a bit short to break top 6 in my eyes.
  • I can see Brentford being the surprise package too be honest, also what's rochdales squad like? They we're right up there last season, I know they've lost their manager which could mean a very different season for them!
  • brentford have a real good squad, they have 2 good centre halves osbourne and legge, argurbly better than ours, and good goalkeeper in richard lee and 2 first choice strikers that know this league inside out, alexander and mcdonald. they only lack in the midfielder and havent got much strength in depth. i put money on them being top 6.
  • edited July 2011
    Part 6 - Sheff Utd-:
    The Blades have quickly restructured both
    on and off the field since relegation from the Championship was
    confirmed at the end of April and Wilson has had to sell in order to
    reshape his squad.
    Jean-Francois Lescinel, from Wilson's former club Swindon, striker
    Chris Porter, from Derby, and midfielder Ryan Flynn, from Falkirk, have
    been drafted in on free transfers and another forward, Danny Philiskirk,
    signed permanently following his loan spell last season from Chelsea.image
    Wilson has also persuaded highly-rated teenage striker Jordan Slew to
    sign a new deal and will look to introduce several more of the club's
    homegrown players to his squad, such as defender Harry Maguire and
    midfielder Callum McFadzean.
    Strikers Jamie Ward (Derby) and Darius Hendersonimage
    (Millwall) and winger Mark Yeates (Watford) have been sold for
    undisclosed fees and youngsters Kingsley James and Phil Roe allowed to
    join Port Vale on free transfers.

They will be there or therabouts in my opinion..but their financial problems may be a distraction.

• Sponsored links:

• brentford have a real good squad, they have 2 good centre halves osbourne and legge, argurbly better than ours, and good goalkeeper in richard lee and 2 first choice strikers that know this league inside out, alexander and mcdonald. they only lack in the midfielder and havent got much strength in depth. i put money on them being top 6.
    You forget they also signed Clayton Donaldson, last year's L2 top scorer who I'd have loved to have signed for us, exactly the big powerful, pacy striker we need.  Also got a couple of unknowns, one from City and having Charlie back from injury will be like a new signing over last year.
  • http://www.htafc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10312~2404886,00.html

Lee Clark has signed a new rolling contract with Huddersfield
  • Sheff Wed lost 14-0 at Alfreton Town today
  • I see that.. I wonder what team they played?! 14-0, even if its the reserves id be worried.
  • Watched Sheffield Wednesday draw 0-0 with Stoke yesterday. Stoke put out a completely fresh team in 2nd half. Wednesday looked solid although a bit light up front. Semedo went off injured fter an hour. Apparently they're making a couple of signings this week, so could be a threat.