Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumoured Real Betis Friendly on Wednesday...?

Right there could be nothing in this (I am delving), but I have had a message from a mate in Seville saying there has been some chat we are going to play them on Wednesday.

They are over on a week long tour and some may have read the Portsmouth stranded/Havant and Waterlooville story yesterday - although they are here to play Swansea as well on the 6th, maybe the relative lack of challenge of Havant compared to Pompey has seen them seeking another game this week...?

I have now seen a post on an English Betis supporters' blog that I read and a couple of Spanish fansites/local media mentioning this supposed fixture. No venue is mentioned but one link I've seen goes as far as to mention it as fact, 19.30 kick off and all.

As I say it could be rubbish, I'm not sure we'd be up for it so close to Bournemouth and we are playing Carshalton on Tuesday but I am just putting out there what I have heard/read.

Comments

• Interesting, suppose it is feasible, the Carshalton game is only the reserves anyway. Surely at this notice though it would only be a behind-closed-doors game.
  • IF we were to sign a 1st choice keeper, right back, centre back and striker before Wednesday, a behind closed door friendly to prepare for Saturday would not be a surprise, but more than useful.
  • Latest update on this from their end is that negotiations have proved unfruitful... no deal

Seems they are talking to Cardiff now
  • They are playing Neath instead now.

Our proposed fixture fell through as it was decided too far from their S Wales training base and apparently the police didn't like the idea at all.
  • They are playing Neath instead now.

Our proposed fixture fell through as it was decided too far from their S Wales training base and apparently the police didn't like the idea at all.
    Why would the gavvers care about a behind-closed-doors friendly?
  • edited August 2011
    Only relaying information Leroy but seeing as the Neath game is "open" perhaps they wanted an "open" friendly and the police baulked at the last minute resources... Betis do have a reputation and travel very well for a Spanish side, big peñas here as well, no idea.
  • Yeah - I'm aware their fans are a bit rowdy compared to most Spanish teams. Would be funny to think of about 200 of them turning up at Sparrows Lane for a friendly :)
  • seems a bit close to opening day in terms of players recovering from knocks -better no contact matches in training I think.