Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We are the Champions

edited October 2006 in Troubleshooting
2nd time in three seasons. National League Champs in a best of seven series, two run homer top of the ninth to win 3-1 on the night. Go Cards.

Comments

• And there I was thinking this was going to be about the tea time gameshow hosted by Ron Pickering........
    Used to love the end where all the kids jumped in the swimming pool..... :-)
  • "Away you go!"
  • Not a patch on "Its a Knockout"
  • You do mean the old It's a Knockout with Stuart Hall not the crap new one with Frank Bruno..?
  • All true Charlton fans watch the Stuart Hall one
  • [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]All true Charlton fans watch the Stuart Hall one

No Dan, all old charlton fans watch the stuart hall one!
  • BOTH are Stuart Hall as he bought the idea from the BBC and runs the company that puts on all the current shows.

Anyway anyone want to discuss the chances of the Cards v the Tigers?
  • Happily, if you'll tell me what the hell you're talking about...
  • What is Baseball ?

Is that the game where they have a World Series & America are the only people to play it ?
  • But I hate playin cards henry, most boring and tedius!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• henry i'll dicuss.....

i reckon the tigers will maul the cardigans ; )

*sorry, i've had a few pints of the black stuff at lunch*
  • ketman, do you know why its called the world series?

actually, are you bothered? is anyone bothered?
  • No not really another Yank game that no one else plays but they feel the need to class it as a World Series or World championship or world whatever ?

Plus they have the cheek to call our national sport 'Soccer'..!
  • here goes anyway, the series is actually named after The World newspaper which sponsored the game at the time, so although its called The World Series it is not meant in the geographical context....

anyway thats what i was told
  • I've heard that too. Fairly convinced it's a load of old cobblers though.
  • And the Canadians play in it as well (or at least they did).

The AL does seem to beat the NL more often than not. Tigers must be favorites with four home games but Cards won three in New York so go to have a chance.
  • Why it's called the "World Series"...

http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/name.htm

One baseball myth that just won't die is that the "World Series" was named for the New York World newspaper, which supposedly sponsored the earliest contests. It didn't, and it wasn't.

In fact, the postseason series between the AL and NL champs was originally known as the "Championship of the World" or "World's Championship Series." That was shortened through usage to "World's Series" and finally to "World Series."

This usage can be traced through the annual baseball guides. Spalding's Base Ball Guide for 1887 reported the results of the 1886 postseason series between Chicago, champions of the National League, and St. Louis, champions of the American Association, under the heading "The World's Championship." As the editor noted, the two leagues "both entitle their championship contests each season as those for the base ball championship of the United States," so a more grandiose name was required to describe the postseason showdown between the two "champions of the United States."

But the Spalding Guide -- which, after all, was published by one of the world's largest sporting goods companies, with a vested interest in bringing baseball to other lands -- had grander ambitions. By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."

This didn't happen, but the name "World's Championship Series" stuck. Reporting on the first modern postseason series, the Red Sox-Pirates battle of 1903, the 1904 Reach Guide called it the "World's Championship Series." By 1912, Reach's headline spoke of the "World's Series," while editor Francis Richter's text still referred to the "World's Championship Series." The Reach Guide switched from "World's Series" to "World Series" in 1931, retaining the modern usage through its merger with the Spalding Guide and through its final issue in 1941. The separately-edited Spalding Guide used "World's Series" through 1916, switching to "World Series" in the 1917 edition.

The Spalding-Reach Guide was replaced as Major League Baseball's semi-official annual by the Sporting News Guide, first published in 1942. The Sporting News Guide used "World's Series" from 1942 through 1963, changing to "World Series" in the 1964 edition.

Moreover, the New York World never claimed any connection with postseason baseball. The World was a tabloid much given to flamboyant self-promotion. If it had been involved in any way with sponsoring a championship series, the fact would have been emblazoned across its sports pages for months. I reviewed every issue of the World for the months leading up to the 1903 and 1905 World's Championship Series -- there's not a word suggesting any link between the paper and the series.
  • So a bt like the "premiership is the best league in the world" then.

Regardless still a good game to watch.
  • No arguments from me, I try and take in a game when I'm in Chicago - I've been to Wrigley Field quite a few times.

The Cub's old ground was the origin of the expression "southpaw" for a lefthander - as the lefthanded pitchers used to face south...

Not a lot a people know that...