Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where to go in Canterbury

edited August 2011 in Not Sports Related

Me and the missus are going to Canterbury this Thursday evening and i was just wondering what good places are there?  Any decent pubs/restaurants etc?

Comments

• Ain't Jim Davidson doing a show in canterbury this Thursday?!
  • Wow, im there.  I know he's in Dartford for my 30th and Charlton is at home that day as well.  So football, then beers in Dartford, then see Jim Davidson and then more beers in Dartford - winner!
  • Depends what you like, but I'd recommend the Good's Shed by Canterbury West station - it's a restaurant in a farmer's market and they use all the fresh ingredients from there to cook some really good stuff.
  • Cuban bar is quite good
  • The Ballroom is decent and a bit different too, come to think of it.
  • Cafe Des Amis by the Westgate Towers ( adjacent car park as well) is good if you're on a budget and like Mexican (ish) food. Check their website for offers as well.

• Can highly recommend cafe mauresque which serves Moroccan/Spanish food. Recently took the wife who doesn't like anything spicy but she loved it. Plenty of nice pubs to drink in around canterbury, I always end up in The Buttermarket at some point of the night :).
  • Depends what you like, but I'd recommend the Good's Shed by Canterbury West station - it's a restaurant in a farmer's market and they use all the fresh ingredients from there to cook some really good stuff.

Can second that, parking is easy too. Excellent food and venue.
  • The Dog Inn in Wingham just outside Canterbury is excellent and good value
  • The Dog Inn in Wingham just outside Canterbury is excellent and good value
    I hope you actually mean "Dog Inn" and is not a spelling mistake!

• Sponsored links:

• Can highly recommend cafe mauresque which serves Moroccan/Spanish food. Recently took the wife who doesn't like anything spicy but she loved it. Plenty of nice pubs to drink in around canterbury, I always end up in The Buttermarket at some point of the night :).
    I was gonna suggest The Old Buttermarket - lovely pub.

I'd avoid BaaBars by Canterbury East station though... I always thought it was rubbish in there!
  • Nandos.
  • Lived there for 3 years, The Old Buttermarket bu the Cathedral as mentioned above is a really nice pub and has a good selection of drinks.

As for food, Cafe De Amis also mentioned above is decent whilst if you like Italian- Little Italy on the high street was a personal favourite.

• edited August 2011
    'Where to go in Canterbury'

The train station, then go home.
  • If you like a good curry the Ancient Raj is excellent
  • Old brewery tavern behind the abode hotel is a good night out and good food!
  • If you like a good curry the Ancient Raj is excellent

Second this. Best Indian in Canterbury.
  • Ok so we went there last night and it was an ok place.  We had a quick drink in the Weatherspoons and then we had a meal in a Mexican restaurant (I can't remember the name).  I think next time i will try and visit Canterbury in the day time and see what else it has to offer!
  • Howlet's is close, top zoo if you like gorillas
  • You went to Weatherspoons?! Could have done so much better.
  • Sponsored links:

• taco locos davy? I'm at uni in Canterbury, like JT says so many better pubs than the spoons.

• Just seen on sky news there is some kind of bomb Scare in Canterbury tonight.
  • I've heard the prison is quite popular. Always full so you might not get in though.
  • Yeah Beds fire at Marks and Spencers too, didn't know about it until I got into town and a lot of it was roped off. Think the suspect packages were fakes forunately.
  • We were parked in a side turning between the police cars blocking off the suspect package