Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Nice scoop Paul
  • That is the young striker, here to grow with us sorted
  • 5ft 11 and scored 6 goals in 36 appearances for Darlo
  • bit odd to see they've listed him as a striker..
  • defender rather*
  • edited August 2011
    Just readthis on The Northern Echo site-:

Michael Smith will only leave Darlington if the price is right, after three clubs made an offer for the teenage striker. Any potential buyers must complete a deal before the transfer window
    closes at 11pm tonight if they wish to make a permanent transfer. The 19-year-old has had trials with Stoke City and Watford with the
    Hornets understood to be one of three clubs to have made an offer. Manager Mark Cooper says that Smith will not leave The Northern Echo
    Arena unless Quakers' valuation is met for a player that they turned
    down an £80,000 bid for from Bristol City in May.

"There's clubs interested in him and a few offers have been made, but
    if the offers don't match the chairman's valuation he won't be going,"
    said Cooper.

"And the clubs that we're speaking about, I would think he'd like to join them."

If Smith were to leave it would not have an impact on Cooper's
    selection plans as the player is not among the four strikers currently
    competing for a starting berth.

Does not mention us directly however.

• I wouldn't go too much into his scoring per games ratio. I'm sure the scouts and management have done their homework, and besides, surrounded by the talent we have in our team, he'd probably get a lot more chances to score than with Darlo, along with a higher level of coaching.

As he's not one of the top 4 strikers at his club, This is surely being seen purely as an investment rather than a direct replacement for Benson (assuming he leaves).
  • Sounds like a lot of other clubs sniffing around and had trials with Stoke and Watford but they didn't buy him.

Sounds like buying a young player with potential on the pitch and a potential re-sale value.  Nothing wrong in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tango flash, it doesn't say he isn't one of the top four strikers at the club just that he isn't one of the four competing for a starting place. Big difference. My guess is that for them 100k is a huge amount of money and they can't risk him getting injured. Also with him set to go they probably thought to ignore him as they are going to have to make do without anyway.
  • True Large. Didn't read it like that.
  • According to their website he was born on 4/9/88 which makes him 23 next week.............not 19 as the SLP suggests.............hardly a youngster !!!
  • So we're still at least one striker short. On deadline day.
  • Another NE paper describes him a 6' 4''.   very confusing
  • RichCawleySLP Richard Cawley
    Got an update on #cafc, as reported elsewhere they want Darlington striker Michael Smith but it is three-way fight..
  • According to their website he was born on 4/9/88 which makes him 23 next week.............not 19 as the SLP suggests.............hardly a youngster !!!
    Bit old for a teenager . . . I assume the Northern Echo would know.
  • Cawley once again with his exclusive info!
  • I'd rather keep Benno.
  • 19 and 6ft 3" from what I can find. Good youngster but still expecting another striker in addition to Smith.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather keep Benno.
    I think both will happen

• 19 and 6ft 3" from what I can find. Good youngster but still expecting another striker in addition to Smith.

Has to be another striker who would potentially be able to slot straight in to the team if required.
  • 6' 5" on tribal football. Perhaps he is still growing. I think we should hold back until he hits 6' 7" then buy. 
  • Another NE paper describes him a 6' 4''.   very confusing
    6' 5" on tribal football. Perhaps he is still growing. I think we should hold back until he hits 6' 7" then buy. 

At this rate he'll be 6ft 7 around 1pm.

• Nice to see Powell signing a young striker. As someone already said, he has a sell-on value, and he could turn out a gem, you never know.
  • Could me the next Charlie Austin ;)
  • Could also end up in Cyprus
  • Could me the next Charlie Austin ;)
    I wish!!
  • I heard he was a10ft giant.
  • I heard he was a10ft giant.
    Too short