Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Hughes

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
Talkshyte were discussing him and asking whether or not he should be allowed to play professional football now he has (is going shortly to be) released from prison.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Yes. Although what he did was terrible (not going down the dangerous driving arguement road again) and you could argue that he has not served his full term he will be released as the law stands and should be able to follow his profession again. As long as that does not in its self put people at risk EG crimes against vunerable adults or children or fraud if you were an accountant for example.
  • wasn't he andy hunts partner at west brom.i seem to remember them mugging us off at the time that we bought the wrong player when hunt wasn't scoring from the off.
  • Bob Taylor was Andy Hunts partner in crime
  • Served his time and wants to get back into his career... Cant see anything wrong with that?

Its better than him sitting on the dole. Also wouldn't there be restriction of trade / human rights issues if they were to? No one else gets stopped from re-entering their previous industry after doing time. Apart from within the obvious sectors.....
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Served his time and wants to get back into his career... Cant see anything wrong with that?

spot on
  • He will have done three years by the time he gets out, that's a pretty reasonable stretch, although obviously some people will argue its not long enough.

What exactly do the "string 'em up" brigade" want him to do? Volunteer to serve more time? Top himself live on TV to satisfy them?

Once you've done your time you should be allowed to get on with your life, apart from paedophiles and sex offenders who should be strung up from the nearest lamp post once they get out.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite] Once you've done your time you should be allowed to get on with your life, apart from paedophiles and sex offenders who should be strung up from the nearest lamp post once they get out.

I agree- he should be free to carry on with his life after the sentance has been served, It's not a perfect world!

Basic problem is that the sentance often doesn't seem appropriate and emotion will often come into it- i am sure the relatives of the person who he killed might feel the same as your views about the punishment that should be dished out to the sex offenders Orm
  • I quite agree, the relatives will be devastated that he is coming out but I suppose that the jail time is not just supposed to be punishment but also rehabilitation and it would be interesting to see if Hughes had really learnt from his time inside.

You would hope that three years, which is a pretty long time, would be long enough for him to think about what he did and change his behaviour and attempt, in whatever way he could, to compensate the victims families, and not neccesarily by doling out cash.

It would be very interesting to see him interviewed when comes out in August to see how he has come to view the events of the last four years.

Tony Adams says he definitely learnt from his time inside in his excellent autobiog, although I think he carried on drinking for a couple more years after his release, but I may be wrong.