Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

sharm el sheikh - anyone been?

edited May 2007 in Match Day Travel
Has anyone been there (egypt) and done an excursion to the pyramids, am looking for advice on best way of getting there. I hear there is a train but it takes 15 hours..

Comments

• try camel

when in rome and all that....
  • leave egypt man, its a crap hole!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]leave egypt man, its a crap hole!
    It was only a matter of time before you piped up....
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]leave egypt man, its a crap hole!

our resident judith chalmers.
  • i thank you
  • any sensible answers - why do I always forget to specify that...
  • Not that Ive been but friends of mine went to Sham and flew to Cairo to go to the pyramids.

Having been to the Pyramids myself you aren't missing much mate. Basically the town they're in has sprung up around it so one side you have desert views, the other way, someones garden and run down shack!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]any sensible answers - why do I always forget to specify that...

how is that not sensible?? its a hole i am doing you a favour innit!
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite] Basically the town they're in has sprung up around it so one side you have desert views, the other way, someones garden and run down shack!

Bloody cheek of the locals! living near a tourist attraction and spoiling the holiday snaps.

What next, people building offices near St Paul's Catherdral. : -)
  • There's certain things that are a must see, the most ancient man made structure(s) in existence are one - but thanks for the opinions anyway.

Can you climb up em?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rather go to Beirut than Egypt.

Stick to the Canaries, just as good weather and clean
  • going now its too late... was thinking of popping the question on top of a pyramid...
  • Ive popped into Sharm for a day trip on a couple of occasions.BTW diving is excellent there but spent most of my time in Dahab - cheaper. Ive also travelled up to Cairo by bus/minbus on a couple of occassions which I think left around 4pm and arrived in Cairo between 6-7am. Not one of the best journey Ive undertaken as trying to sleep is difficult with being woken up every couple of hours to produce your passport at road/security blocks. But normally all tourist buses travel in a convoy with armed police/armed guards. If you really want to visit the pyramids and you can afford it and dont have the time, I would suggest you fly to Cairo. Or re-visit Egypt to visit both Luxor and Cairo/Giza as one trip - you wont regret it.
  • http://www.travel-library.com/tours/africa/egypt/sharm_el_sheikh/cairo_over_day_tour_from_sharm_el_sheikh.html

found something...
  • we took the coach trip, was pretty gruelling, 8 hours each way. I'd recommend the flight option, costs 3x as much as the coach, but infinitely more comforatble and quicker
  • Seeing the pyramids is a must. Cairo is a crazy city, spend some time just walking around if you can.... head into a few mosques, just have some small notes to tip the guys when you need your shoes back!!! I've caught the bus to Cairo -fly if you can. Takes to long any other way if you're just there for a few weeks...

Also, Dahab is more the real Egypt... but Sharm is better if you're looking for 5 star comfort and someone to carry your bags.
  • getiing inside the pyramid is an experience in itself.if you are claustrophobic then steer well clear.you go down about 100 steps cramping as not enough room to stand,toe to ankle with the person in front and there is only one way in and out so the return is just as stupid.but once inside it's just a couple of sparse rooms.no decoration or tombs or anything,just people.

try petra.
  • Petra and Wadi Rum....all within easy reach from Aquaba in jordan and an nice boat ride back to the Sinai.
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Not one of the best journey Ive undertaken as trying to sleep is difficult with being woken up every couple of hours to produce your passport at road/security blocks. But normally all tourist buses travel in a convoy with armed police/armed guards.

i think this just about sums this karzy hole up!
  • Must have got lucky on my trip, we only went through two checkpoints where the bus had to stop for more than a second and didn't have to produce passports or leave our seats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bump

May be going to Sharm soon. Any general do's and don't recommendations ?

More specific to the area please, not that bothered about pyramids etc as too far.
  • Do: Sunbathe
    Don't: Punch a camel in the nuts
  • Bloody hot.Drink loads of water !, I didnt and its only time I got sunstroke.

Red sea is fantastic, do a boat trip.
    Quad biking in the desert is a bit mad when visibility is f**k all.
    Camel ride is a right bollock cruncher.

Good place but bear in mind it is a manufactured resort and you could be anywhere in the world when Sharm comes to life in the evening.

Keep the Missus close....male locals are perv central.
  • Do: go on one of the day trips that take you out diving. Lovely coral reefs.
    Don't: spend too long walking around the town, you get hassled to go in every shop going.
  • edited April 2008
    Don't expect a beach holiday, any that are there are man made and not all that.

Do go scuba/snorkelling - if its your bag, there's loads of it.

Don't bother with the old town market I think its called - it has shops filled with crap and pestering arabs.

Do avoid the Russian mafia, particularly their dolphin swimming thing.

Do go to Cairo if you like Mummys/pyramids etc, its a toss up between flying (no sleep and more expensive) or the coach (long but you might be able to sleep on it) seeing the egyptian museum and the pyramids when tired is a bad move..

Do go on the Arabian nights trip but only when its a clear night, I didn't try mt Sinai but thats supposed to be good too.

Do haggle/shop around for everything, for taxis - get a firm idea of what you're gonna pay to where and stick to it.

Do use sterling to pay for excursions its cheaper, they are often quoted in pounds and you get stung if you pay in egyptian.

Do expect loads of annoying arabs, so learn the important phrases (someone can probably correct me here)

Shock run (spelt as pronounced - thankyou

and

La (ah) shokran - no thankyou

em she - stronger but still polite way of telling them to get lost - Very useful, start with la shockrun then use em she for persistent ones.
  • cheers, useful. get the impression choosing the right hotel complex is important.

Just fancy a bit of April sunshiiiine and fancy a change from the Canaries.
  • yes, go to the Hilton!
  • Always got roped in to playing volleyball and beach football for The Hilton (didnt stay there just used their private beach) against the hotel next door.

Was always the only Englishman playing , no one else spoke English so the volleyball scoring was a tad tricky to keep count of.

Got 'sent-off' for a horizontal hacking down an Italian in the football.
  • Went to Laguna Vista with Thomas Cook, very good hotel, but the leg room on their planes is shocking (not that you'd notice AFKA!)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Has anyone been there (egypt) and done an excursion to the pyramids, am looking for advice on best way of getting there. I hear there is a train but it takes 15 hours..[/quote]

Went last year to Sharm, the pyramids trip is normally a flight there & back same day, ealry start, late finish.
    Sharm is lovely, fantastic scenery but you get pestered out & about and they are very persistent, if you go try The Tavern Bar, Bus Stop or Hard Rock Cafe for a decent meal, cheap as chips in most places.