Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paddy McCarthy

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
I might be being harsh as he'd just come on but I felt he was at fault for both goals on Saturday. I'm not one to get on players' backs etc. but I can just see the gloating Leicester fans with all their "I told you so's"! Hopefully he'll come good but I deffo think after Saturday's performance he's got some way to go!

Comments

• Options
    of all the signings he is the least impressive, but I think he was bought in as cover before the Souley thingy...you never know, he may come good....eventually!
  • Options
    I thought that we looked ok at the back until he came on, and that Fortune and magic were doing ok.

While he may have had the just come on excuse for the first goal, there was no excuse for the second.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I had a look on the Leicester board and they are chortling about Paddy's efforts and reckon that £650,000 for him is excellent business.

They reckon that he was only Club Captain because he shouted a lot.
  • Options
    That's my point Barn Door, we looked a tad iffy from Set Pieces but it was a wet day and they were struggling equally with the conditions and we all know our Set Pieces are usually woeful. But from open play I didn't feel threatened by them at all really, for me he was turned far too easilly TWICE. I also think Tel might have a point, he was only ever in as cover.
  • Options
    One wonders if McCarthy had never made it onto the pitch on Saturday would we have still lost? I suspect not.
  • Options
    I think ZZ would have been a better option to come on and play right back, then they could have left the centre backs as they were
  • Options
    To be honest, I think that Pards had a bit of a shocker with his subs on saturday.
  • Options
    He looked worryingly slow to turn for both, or even to throw himself at the first shot (Brownie-style) which would have shown his much-trumpeted whole-heartedness. I'd probably have felt less disappointed if we'd conceded to one of those torpedo throws etc early on, but felt we dealt pretty well with the initial barrage and had drawn their sting, so really galling to concede 2 goals to moderate players from positions that really shouldn't have hurt us. Glad to hear Pards address the issue of us creating few genuine chances too from such decent possession. Oh, and we really can't let a player of Sidibe's level carry the ball that far, can we?
  • Options
    I think making two subs at half time was a bit drastic. Ok we weren't brilliant first half but we weren't awful either...I certainly wasn't sitting there watching thinkin we needed to rush changes.
  • Options
    I thought his subs were sensible enough... I thought Thomas looked a cut above anyone else on the pitch Saturday and Big Chris was needed for defensive set pieces as much as anything in attack.

the only one that went wrong was Paddy who got caught to tight to his man on two occassions. Can anyone confirm if he beeps like a white van when he tries to turn around?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed. I thought the introduction of Thomas made sense but couldn't see the point of taking off Sam, who had been causing them problems.

I would have liked to have seen McCleod given 25 minutes playing up front with Bent and then bring on big Chris if we needed to go more direct or defend a lead for the last 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Did feel Thomas looked a genuine threat, and Iwelumo's intro made sense re. the significant height difference. Lloyd had certainly caught the commentators' eyes but although he did well, not sure if really created a direct chance. As mentioned elsewhere, Boogie / Semedo to right back might have made more sense, as Forts was doing well in his usual laid back way.
  • Options
    i fault fortune looked good while playing in CB, paddy seems well off the pace at the mo, him along with ben thatcher seem to have problems clearing the ball.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Did feel Thomas looked a genuine threat, and Iwelumo's intro made sense re. the significant height difference. Lloyd had certainly caught the commentators' eyes but although he did well, not sure if really created a direct chance. As mentioned elsewhere, Boogie / Semedo to right back might have made more sense, as Forts was doing well in his usual laid back way.

SAm played pass for probably best chance in first half...Ambrose's Shot just wide.
  • Options
    Good spot RedArmy - fair cop. Didn't give him credit for that as I was too busy trying to recall crosses
  • Options
    I agree not many crosses, but then we didn't have Big Chris on did we! Vicious Circle!
  • Options
    Bougherra and McCarthy played together last week, which makes moving Fortune to full back a logical step.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Bougherra and McCarthy played together last week, which makes moving Fortune to full back a logical step.

Fortune and Bougherra both played at Swindon and have yet to concede a goal while playing together this season
  • Options
    I'm struggling to see how Thomas looked a threat. He did a bit of fancy stuff, but there was little end product - he tried to do it all on his own as usual. I don't recall him putting in a single cross, yet surely that was what he was there for with Iwelumo in the middle? Thought Sam had an excellent first half, and did not expect him to be subbed.

Sorry, gone off topic. McCarthorse - enough said.
  • Options
    This slagging off of McCarthy is well over the top. The first goal was a flick-on to Fuller who took it brilliantly and hit a great shot into the corner, not much the bloke could do about that and if Dazza had scored that last season we would have been calling him a genius and not criticising the defending.

Sure, the second goal looked clumsy but Parkin got very lucky because his "nutmeg" clips McCarthy on the ankle and rolls back perfectly for him to finish. McCarthy could have done better but it was still slightly unlucky for the ball to fall so kindly for Parkin.

I have seen some very fine players make poor starts to their Charlton careers (Webster, Balmer, Bolder) and whilst McCarthy may not be in that class he deserves a much fairer crack than some people are giving him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's nice to see someone try and put up a bit of a defence for the bloke - well done Ormy.

Sure they were two crap goals to concede, but with the first I was more concerned that two of our players seemed to get in each others way jumping for the ball that eventually fell to Fuller.

Not a great start for the fella, but lets give him a fair chance before hanging him out to dry.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]This slagging off of McCarthy is well over the top.

But when has there ever been a situation with us when there hasn't been a scapegoat ?

Marcus Bent, El kak, Bryan Hughes, Matt Holland, Leaburn, Ralph Milne, Redfearn....there is always one. Its MacCarthy's turn for a couple of weeks :-)
  • Options
    That's true AFKA although the only thing I would say is that Ralph Milne was never really slagged by the fans, I think there was an admiration for the fact that this Jock pisspot was somehow playing professional football!!!
  • Options
    I have seen some very fine players make poor starts to their Charlton careers (Webster, Balmer, Bolder)

Bolder...now there was a debut I never want to see repeated, away at Man City in the rain and a 2-1 defeat with two keeping errors and a long trek home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]This slagging off of McCarthy is well over the top. The first goal was a flick-on to Fuller who took it brilliantly and hit a great shot into the corner, not much the bloke could do about that and if Dazza had scored that last season we would have been calling him a genius and not criticising the defending.

Sure, the second goal looked clumsy but Parkin got very lucky because his "nutmeg" clips McCarthy on the ankle and rolls back perfectly for him to finish. McCarthy could have done better but it was still slightly unlucky for the ball to fall so kindly for Parkin.

I have seen some very fine players make poor starts to their Charlton careers (Webster, Balmer, Bolder) and whilst McCarthy may not be in that class he deserves a much fairer crack than some people are giving him.

[cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It's nice to see someone try and put up a bit of a defence for the bloke - well done Ormy.

Sure they were two crap goals to concede, but with the first I was more concerned that two of our players seemed to get in each others way jumping for the ball that eventually fell to Fuller.

Not a great start for the fella, but lets give him a fair chance before hanging him out to dry.

yeah chaps i agree, lets see what he can do over a sustained period of time. I thought although slow, agaisnt scunny he looked positionally good. give the fellow a chance
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    there were a lot of concerns when he was signed though.he possibly has a lot of qualities that we just haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    yeah give the bloke a chance he looks like he might be able to keep us up or if by some ridiculous miracle we do go up i don't think he'd look out of place against all those slow attackers in the premier league... a great buy and another astute signing by pardew building a team for the future
  • Options
    why dont you just go down westham then ooooohhh aaaaaahhhhh if you love curbs that much! ;-)
  • Options
    it's curbs fault we're in this mess.. if he'd have left and gone to west ham 5 years earlier when they first wanted him, we could have been watching this exciting championship team of ours years ago rather than curbs boring premiership team .... i think if we go down to div.1 we'll win more games and it'll get much more exciting!!;-)
  • Options
    dude move on, curbs has gone! your a charlton fan, not a curbs fan man! x