Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leaving Sparrows Lane?

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Leaving Sparows

Looks that way doesn't it?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2007
    was going to pick up on this this morning.

Why exactly is the club so involved ?
    Who are Liberty Trust ?
    What is the future of the training ground ?
    What is the future of the club ?

we can't be kept in the dark forever.

Developers that are submitting a planning application for a new state-of-the-art training complex in Kent are doing so with Charlton's full backing.

Writing in his Valley Review column for Saturday's match against Sheffield Wednesday, Addicks chief executive Peter Varney revealed the club had been in discussions with United States-based Liberty Trust for the last 12 months.

The firm is currently developing a site at Kings Hill, Kent, for housing and business unit use alongside the county council.

And over the next fortnight, two planning applications will be submitted to the council with the Addicks' support.

Said Varney: "The first relates to the construction of a new sporting complex as part of Liberty Trust's obligation to provide community sporting facilities. It is hoped this complex will be operated by a partnership of the club and the Charlton Community Trust.

"The second application relates to the construction of a new state-of-the-art training complex on the former Heath Farm site."

He added: "It's important to secure the necessary planning consents before outlining our plans in further detail, but we look forward to a long and successful partnership with Liberty Trust."

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31186
  • Options
    maybe it's just that they feel they can flog off Sparrows Lane for housing and get a all singing all dancing purpose built facility for a fraction of the cost. Could be something more sinister though. However, I trust the Board and they wouldn't sail us down the river or do anything that they didn't feel was on a benefit to the Club (did appoint Dowie though !!).
  • Options
    there is of course a great irony with the things Charlton get linked with;

A bank before it gets bought out
    A sports shop chain before it goes bust
    A computer firm that got bought out
    A Spanish property company before the Spanish property market goes belly up
    And now a US property group when the US is gripped in its worst ever sub-prime scenario
  • Options
    I cant see us leaving sparrows lane as they've only just recently extended the training complex when they bought Charlton Park Rugby Clubs pitch.
  • Options
    It makes things much more attractive to a buyer. Loads of prime land in SE London, new training base already sorted and in place... Be interesting to see if Liberty trust would be one of the companies intrested in being part of a bid for CAFC

http://www.libertyproperty.com/about.asp
  • Options
    I dunno, if it means we get a spanking new training ground designed for the 21st century, then it might be good, Sparrows has seen better days
  • Options
    I don't think a new training complex would be a bad thing at all, but with our current situation how ready are they going to be to make it an "all singing all dancing" as quoted earlier. We're not guaranteed promotion by all means, so will they scrimp and save, or will they make a Premiership standard complex. Is it the right time is all i'm asking?
  • Options
    Sparrows Lane is already a Premier standard complex, no doubt about that. It would have to be something, very, very impressive to improve on what we already have.

I'm more interested in the wider angle. If the training ground is moved out of South East London into Kent, it then opens up the argument on The Valley....

Ps. The club would of known fully that by putting out the statement about these new training complexes, it would raise questions regarding Sparrows Lane. But not including a line stating that the future of Sparrows Lane is unlikely to change, leads me to suspect that there could be more in it...
  • Options
    A training ground in Kent isn't very good when being a London club can often be an advantage we have in attracting players.
  • Options
    Why do the players need an all singing all dancing training ground? - surely all they need are a couple of jumpers and a football pitch - they can bring their own boots/trainers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Is this King's Hill on Sheppey?!?!?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=593500&Y=167500&A=Y&Z=5
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Sparrows Lane is already a Premier standard complex, no doubt about that. It would have to be something, very, very impressive to improve on what we already have.

I'm more interested in the wider angle. If the training ground is moved out of South East London into Kent, it then opens up the argument on The Valley....

Ps. The club would of known fully that by putting out the statement about these new training complexes, it would raise questions regarding Sparrows Lane. But not including a line stating that the future of Sparrows Lane is unlikely to change, leads me to suspect that there could be more in it...

Sparrows Lane isn't as good other London Premier League clubs grounds, the gym area is tiny in comparison, it doesn't have the room for a lot of the sports medicine stuff that most new grounds have, and these are the basics now.

Other London clubs have their training grounds outside London too, Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal, so it's no big deal being just outside the M25.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Is this King's Hill on Sheppey?!?!?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=593500&Y=167500&A=Y&Z=5

Heath Farm were the training ground would be is near Tonbridge
  • Options
    blimey, that's quite a bit out actually.

bloody horrible journey as well from Charlton/London etc especially with all of the current roadworks.

transport system SHOULD be 10 times better when all of the new slip roads/overpasses are sorted though.
  • Options
    Kings Hill is where most of the squad currently live!!

Nowhere near sheppey my friend. Not a bad run up the M20 to Chaqrlton either
  • Options
    I wonder what Scally will have to say on this?
  • Options
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=560080&Y=147080&A=Y&Z=5
    I can't see how you can have a training ground over an hour away from the Valley.

Unless
  • Options
    its 30 miles from The Valley
  • Options
    Where you train and where you play are two different matters. The team just pitch up and play at the Valley once every other week.

If Sparrows Lane can be sold and a new state of the art training centre built with money left over then surely it has to be good business. As long as the numbers add up I don't see any problems.
  • Options
    Kings Hill or Heath Farm -- where are they then?
    The only Kings Hill (Kent) on streetmap is in Sheppey, and there isn't a Heath Farm near Tonbridge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kings Hill is by West / East Malling, just outside Maidstone. Heath Farm is an area / wasteland of Kings Hill as far as i can understand
  • Options
    The only Kings Hill (Kent) on streetmap is in Sheppey, and there isn't a Heath Farm near Tonbridge.

I've no idea where Heath Farm is but Kings Hill is West Malling, near the M20 and handy for our forthcoming adventures in Europe.

A couple of seconds googling would have told you that...
  • Options
    I believe Kings Hill and Heath Farm are in two very different locations. Kings Hill is a huge development just outside West Malling...

I'm currently trying to confirm where Heath Farm is, but I know there's one just outside Ashford in Kent....
  • Options
    Ok, found a few bits.

There was an approved planning application in 2005, for 4 sports pitches at Heath Farm. The applicant being none other than Liberty Property Trust UK Ltd. Here are a few links to that application

Planning list

Map

Planning doc
  • Options
    The site the above application mentions, is "Land At Heath Farm North Of Teston Road Wateringbury Maidstone Kent", which is just to the east of Kings Hill, much closer to the M20 than Tonbridge....

Map
  • Options
    Cheers Medders, I saw that but missed the Liberty bit and discounted it because its old and near Maidstone rather than Tonbridge. I still thnik it is a bit too far out, but better than Sheppey or Tonrbidge.
  • Options
    Too far from where though? I'd imagine a lot of the players live nearer Maidstone than New Eltham.....?
  • Options
    Seemed funny Reg putting that bit in his programme notes just above the bit telling people to ignore what they read in the press about the takeover/sell-off rumours. All very strange.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Too far from where though? ?

from the heart of the club i would suggest.

Our roots are firmly entrenched in South East London, not Maidstone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Too far from where though? ?

from the heart of the club i would suggest.

Our roots are firmly entrenched in South East London, not Maidstone.

Surely our heart is the Valley? Does it really matter where the training ground is? If it's closer to an area where the players and management live, would that not be beneficial to the club?