Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

games you gave a missed - and wished you had not

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
sorry if this has been done b4,

but are there any games you did not end up going and wished you had.

mine 4 v 2 chelsea on boxing day, no trains running from Southend, sat and watch in the pub lovely every minute of it but also feeling gutted that i had missed it.

also the liverpool lisbie hatrick game - had a sunday league game got to the train station to find engineering works.

Comments

• Options
    4-3 at Newcastle, would have loved to have been at that one.
  • Options
    Ticket in hand for the Arsenal ( Claus Lob) at Highbury- Wife and Eldest daughter sick. Didn't go.

Bugger!

Rufus return at WHL- had a ticket ( freebie) in the Home section. Missed one of the best tackles ever.
  • Options
    quite a few when i was at uni (still had my season ticket...)

mainly the win against Liverpool when a young Kevin Lisbie scored a memorable hatrick. Maybe he can push on from here?

I was also at uni to miss the Arsenal 4-2 win (watched in the pub) and the Spurs away win when Chrissy Powell scored.

Notice how all of these were TV games!
  • Options
    Palace.

Dennis in the last minute
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]sorry if this has been done b4,

mine 4 v 2 chelsea on boxing day, no trains running from Southend, sat and watch in the pub lovely every minute of it but also feeling gutted that i had missed it.
    [/quote]

I missed that one also - had to do the family thing and watch the game on tape after dinner.

missed the 4-4 with west ham as well as I let a mate use my ticket.

For some reason though I regret more missing the Leicester catalogue throwing game when Brown was sent off.
  • Options
    The return to the valley v Pompey.
  • Options
    AFKA, can I ask why?

All this preaching today, bloody hypocrite :)
  • Options
    I missed Saturday's game - but we were having a great few sunny days on Gower beaches, so I don't regret it!
  • Options
    two reasons, had one of my best mates kid christening that day, and secondly, i thought that 35 quid three seasons ago for a live telly game was a complete rip off.

Made a stand, went to the christening, dashed to the pub to watch it, and regretted it ever since.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]sorry if this has been done b4,

same as

boxing day at my nan and grandads, they don't have Sky so i had to watch it on Telelext, was elated and gutted in equal measures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The play off final...I was listening to it on the BBC world service....was back the day after for the celebrations in Woolwich.....a bad set of circumstances, but I needed to be with my kids during the break up of my business partnership.
  • Options
    Palace on Saturday

You lot who are going are lucky sods - Missus refused to let me spend 400 quid on a flight back just for that game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Palace.

Dennis in the last minute

yeah me too always regretted saying I am not giving that "orange **** £35 for that shithole and for a live tv game" . Not made the same mistake again.

Always regret doing the fanzone for skysports for the Boxing day 4-2 chelsea game.
  • Options
    Palace away 2007. Don't make the same mistake I did ;-)
  • Options
    I missed the 4-2 Boxing Day Chelsea match too - was inhospital and didn't even get to see the highlights :o(
  • Options
    Stockport at home 2007

still at work:-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Stockport at home 2007

still at work:-(

I knew I'd be sick at not going!
  • Options
    Tough 1 to call,remember the last time we played them they did the double over us 1-3 and 3-0,i was a bit worried at 2-3 but a great comeback.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Tough 1 to call,remember the last time we played them they did the double over us 1-3 and 3-0,i was a bit worried at 2-3 but a great comeback.

When was that? My mind is a mush as I remember the Andy Hunt hat-trick up there - great day out. Can't remember playing them since though
  • Options
    Last night's by the sound of it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Stockport at home 2007

still at work:-([/quote]
    ditto
  • Options
    Missed the play-off final replay at St Andrews as was loved up and she had a birthday party. Been gutted about that ever since.

Missed Highbury 4-2. Gave my ticket to friendds who had visitors from overseas over. Expected another Highbury drubbing anyway, so didn't think twice.

I used to persuade mates from school to come to the Valley whenever I could. One of them, Andrew Mossford, declined the Barnsley game in 1985 on the grounds, 'it'll be shit; who wants to see Barnsley'. We agreed that if there were more than 4 goals, I could have a free shot at his BCG arm on Monday morning....
  • Options
    Play off final, we were at Disneyland Florida the wife had booked it up over a year previously as a treat for the kids, i had someone texting me all the updates i think it was probably worse than being there tension wise.
  • Options
    never really missed a major game, bit gutted that i never went carlisle this season though
  • Options
    Missed Charlton 5 Southampton 0 as I was on holiday. Remember calling home to ask the score and was told "It was 5-0...", I replied "Oh shit what happened" then the magic words "...to us" followed and I went absolutely mental to the general amusement of everyone around me.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Swindon at home (in the league) last season. Trains weren't running well (due to it being boxing day?) so I didn't bother.

Edit: Also arsenal 2-4 and being Man City 4-0 on the first day of the season 2000/1.
  • Options
    First game back at the Valley, I would have been 6 I think, parents made me go to some sort of Boys Brigade camp thing instead, what was that all about ? I think it was repeated the next day on TV or something ?

That's pretty much the only game in the 19 years inbetween that I regret not seeing - either way there's certainly a whole load more I regret seeing !!
  • Options
    Spurs 9-1 Wigan.

Came down with flu the week before (and my mate had been suffering from illness that week too) so we sold our tickets to my boss' husband on the Saturday night as neither of us felt we had enough energy to go.
    Strange feeling at full time, felt really ill, felt happy with the win but felt sooo pissed off that I'd missed it.
  • Options
    The 4-2 at Highbury
    The Lisbie 1-0 at Stamford Bridge
    The Carling Cup Pens win at Stamford Bridge
    All of our wins at Spurs in the PL

Going to uni in Birmingham meant that getting back for home games was expensive enough without London away games, annoyingly.
  • Options
    Middlesbrough home 1997-98 season won 3-0