Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bag Limit Size Ban at The Valley - updated policy p13

1…7891113

Comments

  • gringo said:
    Do they ask at baggage drop off what the contents of your bag are?. If they don't itemise the contents whats then to prevent someone claiming that their non-existing Laptop has been nicked and making a claim against the club.

    That's a bloody good point.
    It’s also why I will choose not to come to future evening games rather than risk the incompetents that run the club losing my laptop 
  • gringo said:
    Do they ask at baggage drop off what the contents of your bag are?. If they don't itemise the contents whats then to prevent someone claiming that their non-existing Laptop has been nicked and making a claim against the club.

    That's a bloody good point.
    It’s also why I will choose not to come to future evening games rather than risk the incompetents that run the club losing my laptop 
    Somewhere in the small print, leave at your own risk.
  • redbuttle
    redbuttle Posts: 2,192
    cblock said:
     How many fans would actually need to bring a bag with them for a weekend daytime kickoff, the percentage would surely
    be low even allowing for medication needs etc, I do understand that evening games with work lap tops is obviously a concern.

    Not everyone lives a short distance from the ground, or comes by car where you can leave stuff there. People may want food/drink for the journey, something to read etc, or indeed might be going somewhere else beforehand or afterwards.
    We come from Peterborough and don't bring bags.
  • DOUCHER
    DOUCHER Posts: 9,179
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    haven't read through but are laptop bags okay or too big?
    You don’t like reading do you. 
    Thanks, very helpful - i'm all over some threads and not others - i've seen the A4 sized thing and i've seen a few people asking about laptops and stuff - will assume laptop bags are not okay which is a right pain in the arse as i can't trust somebody slinging my work laptop across a reception floor or losing it. 


    Laptop bags are ok.
    thanks, good to know 
  • DOUCHER
    DOUCHER Posts: 9,179
    DOUCHER said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    turned up at the game from work and went into crossbars with my bag which contained my laptop only. bag searched all fine. 
    Tried to go in the turnstile and was told to go to the bag drop (I was completely unaware of this new policy) 
    went to the bag drop with around 10 other people in the same situation (7:15pm ish)
    queued for bag drop and was told this would be £5 - and they were dumping the bags behind a desk in the crossbars reception (not really secure) 
    When I questioned this the steward said 'I agree this is a stupid policy' and they couldn't tell me when and how this was communicated
    I didn't pay the £5 and just walked in through a different turnstile 
    I will be emailing a formal complaint about the lack of notice and around the process. If it was £5 to put your bag in a secure locker then maybe I would be comfortable with this, but my work laptop, just left behind a desk 
    This is broadly where I'm at, midweek will always be straight from work, straight from work means a bag (not a laptop bag), we have expensive equipment and company policy is they are not allowed to be left at cloakrooms (which I count the same as bag drop).

    Judging by the left behind a table just about says it all. I'm luckier in that I live a 35-40 minute drive away, but there's no way generally I'm getting home from the city, straight back out again and to the ground and in before half time. Instead I could as usual be from Cannon Street to the turnstiles in under 35 minutes.........but not with a bag.

    So whilst it may seem ridiculous, it does pretty much mean I wont attend any midweek games.
    I 'm hoping  everyone who has the same/similar opinions to yourself will contact the club &/or complete the post matchday survey emailed out, to advise how said policy may well affect their attendance.

    SOMEONE has to listen & rethink this issue as a whole before this really does get ridiculous.  
    when was the post match survey emailed out? never seen one - i've contacted the club about a few things over the years by email having hunted around the club website and trying to guess what email address to use - never had a response - waste of time  
    I was sent one this morning, you only get them from time to time

    Perfect timing as it happened, to comment on this issue.
    thanks, done 
  • jose
    jose Posts: 1,989
    If they carelessly sling your bag behind a counter at the ten quid bag parking lot, what happens if there are a dozen eggs inside?
    Will the staff have loads of freshly cooked omelets ready for people after the match when they come to release their bags?
    I don't think so!
    Bastards.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 8,406
    redbuttle said:
    cblock said:
     How many fans would actually need to bring a bag with them for a weekend daytime kickoff, the percentage would surely
    be low even allowing for medication needs etc, I do understand that evening games with work lap tops is obviously a concern.

    Not everyone lives a short distance from the ground, or comes by car where you can leave stuff there. People may want food/drink for the journey, something to read etc, or indeed might be going somewhere else beforehand or afterwards.
    We come from Peterborough and don't bring bags.
    I come from Plumstead and I do usually bring a rucksack. 🤷🏻 
  • jose said:
    If they carelessly sling your bag behind a counter at the ten quid bag parking lot, what happens if there are a dozen eggs inside?
    Will the staff have loads of freshly cooked omelets ready for people after the match when they come to release their bags?
    I don't think so!
    Bastards.
    Good one, Seth
  • shine166
    shine166 Posts: 14,704
    redbuttle said:
    cblock said:
     How many fans would actually need to bring a bag with them for a weekend daytime kickoff, the percentage would surely
    be low even allowing for medication needs etc, I do understand that evening games with work lap tops is obviously a concern.

    Not everyone lives a short distance from the ground, or comes by car where you can leave stuff there. People may want food/drink for the journey, something to read etc, or indeed might be going somewhere else beforehand or afterwards.
    We come from Peterborough and don't bring bags.
    Who are 'we' ? Family with kids ? group of adults? Older couple ? All have very different needs no ?.
  • gringo said:
    Do they ask at baggage drop off what the contents of your bag are?. If they don't itemise the contents whats then to prevent someone claiming that their non-existing Laptop has been nicked and making a claim against the club.

    That's a bloody good point.
    Indeed, but  "manning" the bag drop was a sniffer dog accompanied by a remote controlled EOD  robot ....

  • Sponsored links:



  • KingKinsella
    KingKinsella Posts: 1,520
    I got stopped by a young security person at Curbishley turnstiles and directed to a cue for the bag drop. I had time so I walked back to the car and left my bag there.
  • KingKinsella
    KingKinsella Posts: 1,520
    Why can't they get swimming pool style lockers, wheel them out on match days to behind the North Stand near the Curbishley entrance. Just large non-valuable items. Save queing up.
  • Stig
    Stig Posts: 30,151
    gringo said:
    Do they ask at baggage drop off what the contents of your bag are?. If they don't itemise the contents whats then to prevent someone claiming that their non-existing Laptop has been nicked and making a claim against the club.
    If I was running a service like that I think I'd weigh every bag in and out to deter scammers and dimwits.

    If I had an expensive laptop, I'm not sure I'd trust some sort of basic cloakroom system, I'd want my own locker especially at an eye watering £5 a pop. 
  • CaptainRobbo
    CaptainRobbo Posts: 2,825
    edited September 11
    Why can't they get swimming pool style lockers, wheel them out on match days to behind the North Stand near the Curbishley entrance. Just large non-valuable items. Save queing up.
    No Smoking
    No Petting
    No Bombing (main reason for the bag checks i guess)
  • jose
    jose Posts: 1,989

  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 8,406
    Think I’ll get a combat jacket. Enough pockets on them - plus my combat trousers- to bring twice what I put in my rucksack.
  • CaptainRobbo
    CaptainRobbo Posts: 2,825
    iainment said:
    Think I’ll get a combat jacket. Enough pockets on them - plus my combat trousers- to bring twice what I put in my rucksack.
    Best to leave the assault rifle at home though.
  • robroy
    robroy Posts: 5,021
    I'm coming down from Yorkshire for the game tomorrow on the train, being diabetic I need to bring a few bits extra (plus the standard power bank etc). I have just purchased an A4 man bag off Amazon and also emailed the club to get a medical exempt. They did not ask for any proof. 

    A4 bag is a decent size and only £20. 

    A4 rule was the same the last time I went to Wembley. 
  • msomerton
    msomerton Posts: 3,678
    cblock said:
     How many fans would actually need to bring a bag with them for a weekend daytime kickoff, the percentage would surely
    be low even allowing for medication needs etc, I do understand that evening games with work lap tops is obviously a concern.

    Not everyone lives a short distance from the ground, or comes by car where you can leave stuff there. People may want food/drink for the journey, something to read etc, or indeed might be going somewhere else beforehand or afterwards.
    Yes for me,  it can be coming from a watching a days county cricket. 
  • Covered End
    Covered End Posts: 53,397
    I'm not criticising anyone, but I must have been to @2,000 football matches all over the country, with and without kids and have never taken a bag or thought about taking a bag.

  • Sponsored links:



  • Weegie Addick
    Weegie Addick Posts: 17,788
    edited September 11
    I'm not criticising anyone, but I must have been to @2,000 football matches all over the country, with and without kids and have never taken a bag or thought about taking a bag.
    Not everyone can do that, though. We’ve often flown down from Scotland late afternoon for an evening match or Saturday morning for a 3pm and therefore sometimes have to go straight to The Valley with an overnight bag if we’re staying on for a few days. 

    As with any policy, 90-95% is fine for most of the people most of the time. But the devil is in the detail of the 5-10% of people and occasions impacted. Just 5% of a 20K crowd is 1,000 people. And that’s why there needs to be proper consultation and discussion on such policies - ideally in advance rather than during / post implementation which just leads to more confusion. 
  • blackpool72
    blackpool72 Posts: 24,845
    I'm not criticising anyone, but I must have been to @2,000 football matches all over the country, with and without kids and have never taken a bag or thought about taking a bag.
    Same here. 
    Season ticket 
    Mobile phone 
    Some cash.

    And that's it.
  • Chunes
    Chunes Posts: 19,166
    I'm not criticising anyone, but I must have been to @2,000 football matches all over the country, with and without kids and have never taken a bag or thought about taking a bag.
    Same here. 
    Season ticket 
    Mobile phone 
    Some cash.

    And that's it.
    I only ever bring some flint and a pack of trojans. 
  • AS1987 said:
    I didn't mention it earlier, although perhaps I should have. When I saw the stewards send the three women with small backpacks off to the bag drop, one of them said 'Wait until they find out they have to pay.' and all three stewards laughed.

    It doesn't seem to be entirely clear what's going to happen going forward. Is Charlton going to be charging for the bag drop at every game, or will it only be for some fixtures, such as midweek games, where it's expected that more people will have bags with them?

    If we contact the club asking to be allowed an oversized bag, will we now just be told to use the bag drop (unless it's for medical reasons), or will the exemption allow us to take it in? If it's the latter, I can see some of the stewards, who don't know better, insisting upon the bag drop being used anyway.

    somehow I can't imagine these stewards would be doing the same to men. They just picked easy targets.
  • MickeyBennett
    MickeyBennett Posts: 837
    edited September 11
    I'm not criticising anyone, but I must have been to @2,000 football matches all over the country, with and without kids and have never taken a bag or thought about taking a bag.
    Same here. 
    Season ticket 
    Mobile phone 
    Some cash.

    And that's it.
    Same here. Spare pair of underwear and a pack of wet wipes. That's it.

    Don't need a bag, just carry them around with me all day.

    Side note - if you ever want to put a face to thename, MickeyBennett can always be found in the West Upper clutching a pair of clean underpants 👍🏼
  • redbuttle
    redbuttle Posts: 2,192
    iainment said:
    redbuttle said:
    cblock said:
     How many fans would actually need to bring a bag with them for a weekend daytime kickoff, the percentage would surely
    be low even allowing for medication needs etc, I do understand that evening games with work lap tops is obviously a concern.

    Not everyone lives a short distance from the ground, or comes by car where you can leave stuff there. People may want food/drink for the journey, something to read etc, or indeed might be going somewhere else beforehand or afterwards.
    We come from Peterborough and don't bring bags.
    I come from Plumstead and I do usually bring a rucksack. 🤷🏻 
    That's nice
  • I'm not criticising anyone, but I must have been to @2,000 football matches all over the country, with and without kids and have never taken a bag or thought about taking a bag.
    Same here. 
    Season ticket 
    Mobile phone 
    Some cash.

    And that's it.
    Fine for a Saturday game.

    But it's a bit naive to assume it's not a big issue when it comes to midweek evening KOs - the % of people coming straight from work is significant, and of those, the majority will have with them at the very least a laptop (plus charger/mouse/headphones etc). I simply can't fit the bare minimum that I need to do my job, into an 'A4' bag.
  • Airman Brown
    Airman Brown Posts: 15,987
    Probably 9k-10k home fans there against QPR. Why wouldn’t they make it more difficult? 
  • fenaddick
    fenaddick Posts: 23,433
    If this is purely a security concern, then collecting unscanned bags that may contain contents that could explode or catch fire and storing them in the Covered End stand underneath thousands of people, doesn’t sound particularly safety conscious to me…


    Not defending the policy at all but I don’t think it’s purely about bombs etc. I think the club would attempt to defend it by saying in a fire big bags would get in the way. Whether that’s true or not is a different discussion