Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bag Limit Size Ban at The Valley - updated policy p13

1…34689…13

Comments

  • How strict are the club being on this?

    Could come on Weds but would be from work so will have laptop in a rucksack with me 
  • Smithy
    Smithy Posts: 1,104
    I’d be amazed if they’re turning people away with laptop-sized bags on a weeknight. I’ll be turning up with mine so perhaps we could start some form of white collar rebellion
  • KingKinsella
    KingKinsella Posts: 1,520
    So far I have had no trouble with a backpack which I offer up for examination. Maybe I'm lucky
  • Having been at the Preston and Liverpool Women games it didn't seem to be being enforced in the West Stand - I was with people who had bags bigger than A4 who were checked but allowed in. I can't really see how they can enforce it without a credible bag drop alternative as other stadiums have. 
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,651
    shirty5 said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/matchday-info-charlton-v-preston-north-end

    Bag policy 

    At the end of last season, the club introduced a trial bag policy aimed at enhancing safety and security and streamlining supporter entry to the stadium. Following the trial, the policy has been implemented for the 2026/27 season. Click here to read the policy in full.

    Reusable, transparent bags are available to purchase in the club shop, priced at 80p, allowing supporters to bring their belongings or newly purchased merchandise into the stadium in these bags.

    As this is the first full season of the policy, the club will work with supporters who bring luggage and bags to the upcoming fixture against Preston North End. Fans requiring a medical exemption or wishing to bring additional luggage are encouraged to email safetyteam@cafc.co.uk by 6pm on Friday evening. For all future matches, there will be an online exemption form available on the club website that supporters can fill out no later than 48 hours before matchdays.

    A temporary bag storage facility will be available for the upcoming fixture against Queens Park Rangers, with a permanent solution to be introduced in due course.

    The club will monitor the process and work with supporters should changes be required.

    DID ANYONE READ THIS?
    To be fair they are not just bags, they have a drawstring and can be carried over your shoulder. Got mine free with a purchase.
  • AS1987 said:
    Got no issue with the policy itself but concerned about how you get an exemption. It’s already not been communicated well and can’t see how you apply for one. 
    I agree. I emailed fans@cafc.co.uk and got a response back from safetyteam@cafc.co.uk, so I assume it's quicker to email the latter.

    I don’t think the stewards will have rulers or tape measures or there will be airport size boxes to check exact A4 measurements, this bag is fine I use similar at other venues.
    They did at one of the away games last season. I believe it was Millwall, but I could be wrong.

    cafcfan said:

    As usual, it would have helped if the club had communicated something about it in a prominent way with an explanation as to why the restriction was being imposed.  But they didn't.  It's going to be a right bastard for the kitman....
    This is at least the third time there's been an announcement regarding it this season.
    I look at the club website every day, I click on 'Mens First-Team News' and 'Club' and I've not seen any subject with a headline that's anything to do with Bag Sizes, where is this covered, is it buried inside another subject ?

    I've been coming here since 1963, (I travel from Ramsgate now) originally with my dad who always brought a bag containing a half time tea flask, mugs and snacks, and then more recently since he 'left us',  I bring my grandson now with snacks for him and food for me (I'm on a healthy food diet that I couldn't buy from the Charlton food outlets) I have high Cholesterol and so I take Statins and other tablets (blood thinning pills, I've had 2 DVTs) to be taken at different times of day with a swallow of water which I bring in a small plastic bottle. My bag is a little bigger than A4, am I likely to get an exemption ? 
  • Airman Brown
    Airman Brown Posts: 15,987
    edited September 7
    AS1987 said:
    Got no issue with the policy itself but concerned about how you get an exemption. It’s already not been communicated well and can’t see how you apply for one. 
    I agree. I emailed fans@cafc.co.uk and got a response back from safetyteam@cafc.co.uk, so I assume it's quicker to email the latter.

    I don’t think the stewards will have rulers or tape measures or there will be airport size boxes to check exact A4 measurements, this bag is fine I use similar at other venues.
    They did at one of the away games last season. I believe it was Millwall, but I could be wrong.

    cafcfan said:

    As usual, it would have helped if the club had communicated something about it in a prominent way with an explanation as to why the restriction was being imposed.  But they didn't.  It's going to be a right bastard for the kitman....
    This is at least the third time there's been an announcement regarding it this season.
    I look at the club website every day, I click on 'Mens First-Team News' and 'Club' and I've not seen any subject with a headline that's anything to do with Bag Sizes, where is this covered, is it buried inside another subject ?

    I've been coming here since 1963, (I travel from Ramsgate now) originally with my dad who always brought a bag containing a half time tea flask, mugs and snacks, and then more recently since he 'left us',  I bring my grandson now with snacks for him and food for me (I'm on a healthy food diet that I couldn't buy from the Charlton food outlets) I have high Cholesterol and so I take Statins and other tablets (blood thinning pills, I've had 2 DVTs) to be taken at different times of day with a swallow of water which I bring in a small plastic bottle. My bag is a little bigger than A4, am I likely to get an exemption ? 
    It’s highly unlikely you'll have a problem in practice. Also, they don’t do body searches, certainly in the AC Stand. So you can put anything in your coat pockets.
  • CAFCTrev
    CAFCTrev Posts: 6,520
    AS1987 said:
    Got no issue with the policy itself but concerned about how you get an exemption. It’s already not been communicated well and can’t see how you apply for one. 
    I agree. I emailed fans@cafc.co.uk and got a response back from safetyteam@cafc.co.uk, so I assume it's quicker to email the latter.

    I don’t think the stewards will have rulers or tape measures or there will be airport size boxes to check exact A4 measurements, this bag is fine I use similar at other venues.
    They did at one of the away games last season. I believe it was Millwall, but I could be wrong.

    cafcfan said:

    As usual, it would have helped if the club had communicated something about it in a prominent way with an explanation as to why the restriction was being imposed.  But they didn't.  It's going to be a right bastard for the kitman....
    This is at least the third time there's been an announcement regarding it this season.
    I look at the club website every day, I click on 'Mens First-Team News' and 'Club' and I've not seen any subject with a headline that's anything to do with Bag Sizes, where is this covered, is it buried inside another subject ?

    I've been coming here since 1963, (I travel from Ramsgate now) originally with my dad who always brought a bag containing a half time tea flask, mugs and snacks, and then more recently since he 'left us',  I bring my grandson now with snacks for him and food for me (I'm on a healthy food diet that I couldn't buy from the Charlton food outlets) I have high Cholesterol and so I take Statins and other tablets (blood thinning pills, I've had 2 DVTs) to be taken at different times of day with a swallow of water which I bring in a small plastic bottle. My bag is a little bigger than A4, am I likely to get an exemption ? 
    It’s highly unlikely you'll have a problem in practice. Also, they don’t do body searches, certainly in the AC Stand. So you can put anything in your coat pockets.
    Ive been smuggling some pretty heavy duty drugs into the AC stand for years. 












    Mostly for acid reflux. 
  • We sit in the AC stand & the steward who searched our bags at the Preston game suggested that it wouldn't be enforced heavily for home fans & the policy was brought in more for away fans. He also said there would be a drop off option from the QPR game. Don't know how accurate this information will be !
  • Weegie Addick
    Weegie Addick Posts: 17,788
    edited September 8
    Club have replied to a fan that there will be a drop off facility in Covered End reception from 18.15 for tomorrow night. 

    CAST are just checking how this will work eg will bags be tagged with fans given receipts and then bags securely stored during the match. It’s great that the club have listened to the concerns raised and implemented this drop off option. 

  • Sponsored links:



  • Off_it
    Off_it Posts: 29,541
    Club have replied to a fan that there will be a drop off facility in Covered End reception from 18.15 for tomorrow night. 

    CAST are just checking how this will work eg will bags be tagged with fans given receipts and then bags securely stored during the match. It’s great that the club have listened to the concerns raised and implemented this drop off option. 
    Yeah, it's great.

    But did they really need telling before organising something in the first place?
  • valleynick66
    valleynick66 Posts: 5,758
    Sounds like they see a further money making option vis a vis a bag drop off facility. 

    Can you imagine how disorganised this has the potential to be?
  • fenaddick
    fenaddick Posts: 23,430
    Sounds like they see a further money making option vis a vis a bag drop off facility. 

    Can you imagine how disorganised this has the potential to be?
    Given it had to be suggested to them I don't think it's a cash grab
  • valleynick66
    valleynick66 Posts: 5,758
    fenaddick said:
    Sounds like they see a further money making option vis a vis a bag drop off facility. 

    Can you imagine how disorganised this has the potential to be?
    Given it had to be suggested to them I don't think it's a cash grab
    Did it though? We don’t know that. I thought it was equally said the bag drop was always planned but unsurprisingly late in implementation. 

    Who knows?

    Regardless my main point is the potential 
    for a chaotic process if any significant number are forced to use it. A quick exit from the ground would be at risk for example. 
  • Arsenetatters
    Arsenetatters Posts: 6,446
    Why don’t people leave lap tops at work? I’m assuming there must be somewhere to lock your stuff up?
    or is this a daft question?
  • fenaddick
    fenaddick Posts: 23,430
    Why don’t people leave lap tops at work? I’m assuming there must be somewhere to lock your stuff up?
    or is this a daft question?
    Because lots of people work some days in the office and some at home. Where I work it's against company policy to leave your laptop in a locker. I guess that's so if I face travel difficulties etc. I can still work
  • Arsenetatters
    Arsenetatters Posts: 6,446
    edited September 8
    fenaddick said:
    Why don’t people leave lap tops at work? I’m assuming there must be somewhere to lock your stuff up?
    or is this a daft question?
    Because lots of people work some days in the office and some at home. Where I work it's against company policy to leave your laptop in a locker. I guess that's so if I face travel difficulties etc. I can still work
    Ah fair play I hadn’t thought of that. 
    I guess things have changed in work culture since my days at the civil service where travel difficulties meant a day off .

    EDIT - thinking about it I don’t suppose laptops had been invented back then.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 15,911

    This seems to have snuck in as a rule completely unannounced from Saturday's game that bags bigger than A4 are banned from The Valley, CAST are on the case but I'm disappointed at the zero communication from the club about it, especially as I often have a rucksack with me to carry a coat & water, or whenever I come straight from work so I imagine it'll affect other fans too

    https://www.castrust.org/2026/08/cast-calls-on-club-to-provide-bag-drop/

    This was not the only new season change.  The main reception lift is used by older fans with health issues to get to their seats. I have been using it since i had a heart valve replacement and have come across a number of fans with mobility issues also using the lift. Previously we have been able to rock up at 2.30 and get to our seats with plenty of time to get a drink go to the loo. At the PNE game, my first of the season, we were told there is a new policy of letting in lift users no earlier than 10 minutes before kick off. Given that the lift only takes 4 people at a time and goes at a snails pace it will be sometime before all users are transported, so the situation of us oldens shuffling into our seats after the match has stared is real.  To add insult to injury, if you arrive prior to 2.50 pm, you have to wait outside of reception. PNE was a wet day and the weather will not be getting better over the next few months.

    I have raised this with CADSA who have taken this us, i also mailed Fans@ and Advocates@, neither of whom have replied. 

    To me this is contrary to the clubs own policy on disability, as well as the policy to get fans seated early before the game.

    Unfortunately, I have not been able to use my ST since PNE and will not be able to do so until after Pompey, so if anyone knows if this policy has been revised, I suggested a 2.30 pm entrance time, please post here.  
  • jose
    jose Posts: 1,989
    When I went to Tottenham there was a person behind a table who said they wanted to search my (rather ridiculously elaborate bum bag with about five zips and pockets), so I put it on the table and he unzipped all the compartments and rummaged around. I had a folded up Charlton flag, travel pass, a cheese and tomato sandwich, my wallet, my phone, my keys and some tissues.
    He disrupted the bag in his search and shoved the bum bag back in my direction in a disrupted state. 
    I refused to move on until he had restored the bag and contents to the original state it was in before the search, compartments zips and all.
  • JohnnyH2
    JohnnyH2 Posts: 5,578
    edited September 8
    Kap10 said:

    This seems to have snuck in as a rule completely unannounced from Saturday's game that bags bigger than A4 are banned from The Valley, CAST are on the case but I'm disappointed at the zero communication from the club about it, especially as I often have a rucksack with me to carry a coat & water, or whenever I come straight from work so I imagine it'll affect other fans too

    https://www.castrust.org/2026/08/cast-calls-on-club-to-provide-bag-drop/

    This was not the only new season change.  The main reception lift is used by older fans with health issues to get to their seats. I have been using it since i had a heart valve replacement and have come across a number of fans with mobility issues also using the lift. Previously we have been able to rock up at 2.30 and get to our seats with plenty of time to get a drink go to the loo. At the PNE game, my first of the season, we were told there is a new policy of letting in lift users no earlier than 10 minutes before kick off. Given that the lift only takes 4 people at a time and goes at a snails pace it will be sometime before all users are transported, so the situation of us oldens shuffling into our seats after the match has stared is real.  To add insult to injury, if you arrive prior to 2.50 pm, you have to wait outside of reception. PNE was a wet day and the weather will not be getting better over the next few months.

    I have raised this with CADSA who have taken this us, i also mailed Fans@ and Advocates@, neither of whom have replied. 

    To me this is contrary to the clubs own policy on disability, as well as the policy to get fans seated early before the game.

    Unfortunately, I have not been able to use my ST since PNE and will not be able to do so until after Pompey, so if anyone knows if this policy has been revised, I suggested a 2.30 pm entrance time, please post here.  
    This was raised as an issue during the KM era.

    The lift cannot be used in an emergency, so how would all these with mobility issues get out?

  • Sponsored links:



  • cantersaddick
    cantersaddick Posts: 18,880
    Kap10 said:

    This seems to have snuck in as a rule completely unannounced from Saturday's game that bags bigger than A4 are banned from The Valley, CAST are on the case but I'm disappointed at the zero communication from the club about it, especially as I often have a rucksack with me to carry a coat & water, or whenever I come straight from work so I imagine it'll affect other fans too

    https://www.castrust.org/2026/08/cast-calls-on-club-to-provide-bag-drop/

    This was not the only new season change.  The main reception lift is used by older fans with health issues to get to their seats. I have been using it since i had a heart valve replacement and have come across a number of fans with mobility issues also using the lift. Previously we have been able to rock up at 2.30 and get to our seats with plenty of time to get a drink go to the loo. At the PNE game, my first of the season, we were told there is a new policy of letting in lift users no earlier than 10 minutes before kick off. Given that the lift only takes 4 people at a time and goes at a snails pace it will be sometime before all users are transported, so the situation of us oldens shuffling into our seats after the match has stared is real.  To add insult to injury, if you arrive prior to 2.50 pm, you have to wait outside of reception. PNE was a wet day and the weather will not be getting better over the next few months.

    I have raised this with CADSA who have taken this us, i also mailed Fans@ and Advocates@, neither of whom have replied. 

    To me this is contrary to the clubs own policy on disability, as well as the policy to get fans seated early before the game.

    Unfortunately, I have not been able to use my ST since PNE and will not be able to do so until after Pompey, so if anyone knows if this policy has been revised, I suggested a 2.30 pm entrance time, please post here.  
    Thats pretty disgusting - hope the club resolve ASAP
  • valleynick66
    valleynick66 Posts: 5,758
    Kap10 said:

    This seems to have snuck in as a rule completely unannounced from Saturday's game that bags bigger than A4 are banned from The Valley, CAST are on the case but I'm disappointed at the zero communication from the club about it, especially as I often have a rucksack with me to carry a coat & water, or whenever I come straight from work so I imagine it'll affect other fans too

    https://www.castrust.org/2026/08/cast-calls-on-club-to-provide-bag-drop/

    This was not the only new season change.  The main reception lift is used by older fans with health issues to get to their seats. I have been using it since i had a heart valve replacement and have come across a number of fans with mobility issues also using the lift. Previously we have been able to rock up at 2.30 and get to our seats with plenty of time to get a drink go to the loo. At the PNE game, my first of the season, we were told there is a new policy of letting in lift users no earlier than 10 minutes before kick off. Given that the lift only takes 4 people at a time and goes at a snails pace it will be sometime before all users are transported, so the situation of us oldens shuffling into our seats after the match has stared is real.  To add insult to injury, if you arrive prior to 2.50 pm, you have to wait outside of reception. PNE was a wet day and the weather will not be getting better over the next few months.

    I have raised this with CADSA who have taken this us, i also mailed Fans@ and Advocates@, neither of whom have replied. 

    To me this is contrary to the clubs own policy on disability, as well as the policy to get fans seated early before the game.

    Unfortunately, I have not been able to use my ST since PNE and will not be able to do so until after Pompey, so if anyone knows if this policy has been revised, I suggested a 2.30 pm entrance time, please post here.  
    Thats pretty disgusting - hope the club resolve ASAP
    I’m struggling with the logic. They want people to take up their seats later not earlier? 

    Cynically I can only imagine they want the lifts free for those paying corporate fees?

    Another step towards the ‘most cohesive and sustainable community-driven club in the UK competing at an elite level' ? 🙁
  • clive
    clive Posts: 20,858
    Club have replied to a fan that there will be a drop off facility in Covered End reception from 18.15 for tomorrow night. 

    CAST are just checking how this will work eg will bags be tagged with fans given receipts and then bags securely stored during the match. It’s great that the club have listened to the concerns raised and implemented this drop off option. 

    Supporters attending Wednesday's fixture with bags or luggage should be aware of the club's bag policy for the 2026/27 season.

    Transparent bags are permitted inside the stadium. Reusable transparent bags are available to purchase from the club shop for 80p, allowing supporters to carry personal belongings or newly purchased merchandise into the ground.

    Supporters bringing a laptop bag will be permitted to take it into the stadium, but it will be subject to a search before entry.

    A new bag drop service will also be in operation for Wednesday's fixture. Located at the Covered End Reception, the bag drop will open from 5.45pm. Small bags can be stored for £5 per item, while bags larger than a rucksack will be charged £10 per item.

    Click here to read the bag policy in full.

    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/matchday-info-charlton-v-queens-park-rangers

  • aki2798
    aki2798 Posts: 69

  • aki2798 said:

    aki2798 said:

    £10…?!   
  • cafc-4-life
    cafc-4-life Posts: 1,401
    aki2798 said:

    aki2798 said:

    £10…?!   
    I'll now be selling laptop bags outside the Valley that can be reused throughout the season for £9.99. Doesn't specify what has to be stored in them.
  • shirty5
    shirty5 Posts: 20,178
    aki2798 said:

    aki2798 said:

    £10…?!   
    It’s a charge as much as you can so people will think about twice doing it again. 

    I have no issue with the club doing that, in fact at Everton they have been charging £20 for a similar bag drop facility 
  • jose
    jose Posts: 1,989
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • Fanny Fanackapan
    Fanny Fanackapan Posts: 19,596
    edited September 8
    clive said:
    Club have replied to a fan that there will be a drop off facility in Covered End reception from 18.15 for tomorrow night. 

    CAST are just checking how this will work eg will bags be tagged with fans given receipts and then bags securely stored during the match. It’s great that the club have listened to the concerns raised and implemented this drop off option. 

    Supporters attending Wednesday's fixture with bags or luggage should be aware of the club's bag policy for the 2026/27 season.

    Transparent bags are permitted inside the stadium. Reusable transparent bags are available to purchase from the club shop for 80p, allowing supporters to carry personal belongings or newly purchased merchandise into the ground.

    Supporters bringing a laptop bag will be permitted to take it into the stadium, but it will be subject to a search before entry.

    A new bag drop service will also be in operation for Wednesday's fixture. Located at the Covered End Reception, the bag drop will open from 5.45pm. Small bags can be stored for £5 per item, while bags larger than a rucksack will be charged £10 per item.

    Click here to read the bag policy in full.

    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/matchday-info-charlton-v-queens-park-rangers

    This has to be an April Fools' Day joke come early !!!!

    I am disgusted at how low our club has fallen in the operational side of things, including the catering which is a total mess, but also the communication issues ..or rather lack of such. 

    This has been a real concern for longer than I care to remember but has become laughable. 

    How many differing, confusing & belated announcements have now been made regarding the bag issue ???? Who, on here, at least, is completely, 100% sure of what the process will be , including from just over 24 hours' time ? My ( big) gob is totally smacked by this latest announcement which many fans will be completely unaware of when they arrive at The Valley tomorrow evening. 

    My first question is what is the Covered End Reception ? Is this the North Stand Reception as it's always been referred to as in the days of the POTY dinner ? And is this the ONLY drop off area on the Stadium, meaning a walk to & from the West before & after matches especiaally pertinent for evening games when some are rushing from work & then to get home after a long day....madness if this is the case. The area  of entry to Crossbars is already busy pre match for bag checks. And why are "transparent bags " highlighted ? This presumably means that no other kind of bag will be allowed. And no mention/reminder of the sizing this time ....or of the method/requirement to obtain an exemption. EVERYTHING undefined & open to interpretation. What is wrong with the department head that allows this kind of ill thought out  " information" to posted on the OS ?????? Millwall fan & co will be laughing their socks off. 

    But uppermost in my old mind is the cost of this "innovation" !!!! Unbelievable. 

    Weegie. This HAS to be taken up with the club before tomorrow when fans will be setting off for work etc at an early hour, confused about the issues facing them later in the day when ALL they want to do is to support their football team. 

    This, for me, is the tip of a very big iceberg that threatens to sink our own red & white Titanic unless some serious discussions are had ASAP to get things back on track before it's too late. 

    Something is very wrong in the state of SE7 & surely the appointment of an experienced CEO is crucial  before everything descends into chaos. 
  • OhMyGodden
    OhMyGodden Posts: 477
    clive said:
    Club have replied to a fan that there will be a drop off facility in Covered End reception from 18.15 for tomorrow night. 

    CAST are just checking how this will work eg will bags be tagged with fans given receipts and then bags securely stored during the match. It’s great that the club have listened to the concerns raised and implemented this drop off option. 

    Supporters attending Wednesday's fixture with bags or luggage should be aware of the club's bag policy for the 2026/27 season.

    Transparent bags are permitted inside the stadium. Reusable transparent bags are available to purchase from the club shop for 80p, allowing supporters to carry personal belongings or newly purchased merchandise into the ground.

    Supporters bringing a laptop bag will be permitted to take it into the stadium, but it will be subject to a search before entry.

    A new bag drop service will also be in operation for Wednesday's fixture. Located at the Covered End Reception, the bag drop will open from 5.45pm. Small bags can be stored for £5 per item, while bags larger than a rucksack will be charged £10 per item.

    Click here to read the bag policy in full.

    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/matchday-info-charlton-v-queens-park-rangers

    This has to be an April Fools' Day joke come early !!!!

    I am disgusted at how low our club has fallen in the operational side of things, including the catering which is a total mess, but also the communication issues ..or rather lack of such. 

    This has been a real concern for longer than I care to remember but has become laughable. 

    How many differing, confusing & belated announcements have now been made regarding the bag issue ???? Who, on here, at least, is completely, 100% sure of what the process will be , including from just over 24 hours' time ? My ( big) gob is totally smacked by this latest announcement which many fans will be completely unaware of when they arrive at The Valley tomorrow evening. 

    My first question is what is the Covered End Reception ? Is this the North Stand Reception as it's always been referred to as in the days of the POTY dinner ? And is this the ONLY drop off area on the Stadium, meaning a walk to & from the West before & after matches especiaally pertinent for evening games when some are rushing from work & then to get home after a long day....madness if this is the case. The area  of entry to Crossbars is already busy pre match for bag checks. And why are "transparent bags " highlighted ? This presumably means that bo other kind of bag will be allowed. And no mention/reminder of the sizing this time ....or of the method/requirement to obtain an exemption. EVERYTHING undefined & open to interpretation. What is wrong with the department head that allows this kind of ill thought out  " information" to posted on the OS ?????? 

    But uppermost in my old mind is the cost of this "innovation" !!!! Unbelievable. 

    Weegie. This HAS to be taken up with the club before tomorrow when fans will be setting off for work etc at an early hour, confused about the issues facing them later in the day when ALL they want to do is to support their football team. 

    This, for me, is the tip of a very big iceberg that threatens to sink our own red & white Titanic unless some serious discussions are had ASAP to get things back on track before it's too late. 

    Something is very wrong in the state of SE7 & surely the appointment of an experienced CEO is crucial  before everything descends into chaos. 
    But you criticise everything the club does nowdays, and old people love moaning about everything.