Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stockport post-match analysis

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
What a cracker !!

Love to know if anyone left at 2-3 :-)

Very impressed with Racon. Good touch and very busy, liked to get into the box.

Samedo didn't look as composed at right back as he has in other games.

McLeod done ok. Won the penalty very well.

ZZ looks a real quality player, looks a step above this level.

Sam at times looked like the ultimate world beater, but then two mins later looked worse than average.

Its at the back all the problems are. McCarthy may of scored the winner, but he is simply awful, no getting away with it. Hate to knock our own, and perhaps he's just had a poor start, but i can't see for the life of me what Pardew saw in him, i honestly can't. Fortune looks to have improved, but just when you think he looks reliable, he'll go and switch off.

Comments

• Options
    Was sat near the home dug out, and Pards was just shaking his head at the centre halves, so expect someone in soon
  • Options
    agree with most of that , thought racon was a young keith jones.
    todorov was different gravy
    mcleod looked like a div 2 player
    mcarthorse is a worse buy than traore
  • Options
    If there were any neutrals there (there must've been a few + some kids) it was a bloody entertaining match.

As a Charlton fan though, it was the sort of performance we've come to expect - except actually winning it! I'd have ZZ down as man of the match.

I liked the swap of penalty takers after McLeod's was saved.
  • Options
    Brilliant moment near the end in the East.

They had a long throw and Fortune completely switched off, their player had a free header. Fortune and McCarthy have words, and this bloke behind got up and just exploded:

'Its your f*cking fault McCarthy (it wasn't), you're f*cking useless you f*cking waste of space, useless f*cking prick'

Silence all around as the ball breaks down the other end and we get a corner. Ball in and McCarthy scored a header. I haven't laughed so much in ages, bloke took absolute pelters, but took it in good spirit.
  • Options
    Can't understand why we sold Diawara. Fortune just has no leadership quality. As for McCarthy, well I have only seen him once on Saturday but he clearly lacks something. What about Thomas, did he get on at all?
  • Options
    Wasn't as enjoyable for me and the people around me as for most. Loads of school age tossers in C Block of the covered end chanting 'is that all you take away' and when we were 3-2 down, 'we want our money back', 'two nill and we fucked it up' and 'that's why we're championship.' I wished words were said to them.

Think I saw Ketman, Stu from SE7 and Carlsberg in the covered end as well, wonder what they thought of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]thought racon was a young keith jones.

i'd settle for that, but i thought he was a lot more attack minded than Jones ever was, and has a turn of pace and can cover the yards. Didn't seem afraid to put his foot in either. Looks a find.
  • Options
    McCarthy is Les Berry
    Fortune was awful tonight, leaving the ball when he should have been challenging for it, the mouthful Rudolph gave him for their third went on and on.
    Samedo looked good going forward and interlinked well with Sam at times but they both went missing for a while.
    ZZ looks the buisness
  • Options
    Did anyone call him Norbert?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]Think I saw Ketman, Stu from SE7 and Carlsberg in the covered end as well, wonder what they thought of it.
    Ketman was right at the back of the F block in the second half singing "We all dream of a team of Cory Gibbs" :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what was the story in the first half down near the south stand of the east stand looked like a little mob got moved by stewards anyone else see that??
  • Options
    Talk about great Comebacks.
    What a cracking game, and a great atmosphere.
    Quiet a few people around me starting leaving at 2-3.
    Glad we hung on, but we need to sort out our defence otherwise we'll get punished.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what was the story in the first half down near the south stand of the east stand looked like a little mob got moved by stewards anyone else see that??

saw that but don't think there was anything in it. Think they just moved a few youngsters back a few rows,
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Can't understand why we sold Diawara. Fortune just has no leadership quality. As for McCarthy, well I have only seen him once on Saturday but he clearly lacks something. What about Thomas, did he get on at all?[/quote]

Because his agent engineered a move back to France and he wanted to go, not much we could have done about that. Besides, lets not turn Diawara into Rufus, he is better than McCarthy but was a poor defender in the English game himself.
  • Options
    Racon looked very good, agreed that Sam was at times fckin frustrating to watch, but he showed up when it mattered. McCarthy/McLeod/Faye all utter shite. Todorov decent again, blinder of a goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Racon looked very good, agreed that Sam was at times fckin frustrating to watch, but he showed up when it mattered. McCarthy/McLeod/Faye all utter shite. Todorov decent again, blinder of a goal.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought everyone said Todorov was useless......?

;o)
  • Options
    Agree about racon....how the feck did we end up with ZZ, can't believe he isn't in the PL. Really think he's gonna be the difference for us, that's if we can continue to outscore the goals our defence let in...truly shocking what the hell is Eastwood, Beattie, King gonna do to that lot. Pards better get busy. Faye...shocking, why bother, McLeod, not sure yet looks a bit average at the moment.

But what a cracking game, hats of to Stockport, and we looked good going forward.....ZZ utter class abd brilliant.
  • Options
    Didn't think McLeod was that bad - looked to me like he was desperate to make his mark like Big Chris on Saturday and was disappointed for him that he couldn't put away the penalty that he himself had won.
  • Options
    pards has got them looking very good going forward and todorov is different class! at the back it was a shambles even sir chris looked unable to win much against the big striker in the air!
    .. bunch of kids were annoying but produced just about the only bit of atmosphere in the lower north... the group that got moved in the east were nothing but a bunch of chavvy locals.. .probably half of them millwall
  • Options
    I was a big critic of Todorov, he just didn't look interested in the couple of games i saw of him.

But he looks a much better player now. Has a good touch and vision, and if he can be on form he will be a real asset. Its keeping him on form that me be the problem.

I'll admit that i thought he looked a finished player. Hopefully it is starting to look like i jumped the gun on that. The one that hit the bar near the end was sensational.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like friend_or_defoe posted earlier,about a dozen or so youth right next to me, back of covered end,didn't pay any attention,BEST tenner i've spent in ages.
  • Options
    Chris Ime(whatever) made the difference.
  • Options
    I think a lot of credit should go to the east stand,can we have a repeat performance, great singing and all claping in unison,Marvelous.
  • Options
    How did Randolph do in goal?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    He did a marvellous 360 degree horizontal spin as the third flew past him!

Edit - Ok, just seen the highlights on SSN - I must've imagined it!
    Nurse! More drugs please! ;o) lol
  • Options
    He was okay len,more a case of the defenders losing concentration and not picking up the runners quickly enough which lead to the goals.
    Good save hands and also commanding and confident with corners, his distribution could be better,also made some important saves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]He was okay len,more a case of the defenders losing concentration and not picking up the runners quickly enough which lead to the goals.
    Good save hands and also commanding and confident with corners, his distribution could be better,also made some important saves.
    Nicely summed-up - there were a couple of Deano goal kicks too!

Definitely one for the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]He was okay len,more a case of the defenders losing concentration and not picking up the runners quickly enough which lead to the goals.

Thanks! Glad he did ok. Deano probably gave him some tips on kicking before he left:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Can't understand why we sold Diawara. Fortune just has no leadership quality. As for McCarthy, well I have only seen him once on Saturday but he clearly lacks something. What about Thomas, did he get on at all?

Because his agent engineered a move back to France and he wanted to go, not much we could have done about that. Besides, lets not turn Diawara into Rufus, he is better than McCarthy but was a poor defender in the English game himself.

Ormiston I'm not saying he was Rufus but he was class and knew how to defend in my opinion. I hear what you say about his agent etc. Why didn't we hang on to him until we had a replacement lined up? If we couldn't get anyone then fuck it, he's got a contract he'll have to stay, at least until Jan.

Still he's gone and we need a leader in defence urgently.
  • Options
    I don't think I would ever describe Diawara as "class" that is a very generous assessment of the bloke given his awful performances for most of last season. However, I agree that he would have been OK at this level and probably our strongest defender, albeit with a lot of improvements needed.

As for not letting him go, well, we all know that that scenario is one that sounds fine in theory but in practice just does not work out. If someone is offering 3 million quid for him and he does not want to play for us anymore then its daft to keep him because you can't have someone in the side who is a destabilising influence.

The whole thing happened quite fast and we did not really have much chance to get a replacement lined up, Pardew obviously had Diawara in his starting XI so would not have been scouting for a new centre-half in pre-season.

My bet is that we will bring Calum Davenport in from West Ham on loan and also bring in Danny Mills on a short-term deal.