Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stockport post-match analysis

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2007
    We signed Varney and Big Chris before letting Darren Bent go. We signed Moo2 before letting Young go.Why couldn't we have done the same given that we desperately need a replacement? The answer, I suspect is simple. Diawara was on serious wages and the club wanted him off the books sharpish. Bearing in mind that Fortune was also lined up to go to Stoke, suggests to me that they always intended to bring somebody in. My point is that prudence suggests that they should have got somebody lined up first.

As for Diawara's performances last year, I didn't see him have a poor game. (often playing alongside Elk which must have been hard). (I did not witness the Wigan away game for which he was crticised). There was talk about him being a piss head, I don't know whether there was any truth in that.

I think your shouts of Davenport and Mills are pretty good. We'll see over the next few days but time is short.
  • Options
    I take your point Bing but I think that we all knew that Bent and Young were going to go and, therefore, replacements had been lined up for a long time in advance.

The Fortune example underlines how unexpected the Diawara departure was because, as you say, Pards was willing to let Fortune leave because he felt he was not going to play much but, obviously, that changed once Diawara left.

Again, it comes down to the fact that Diawara put us in a Parker position of saying, "I want to leave and play for so and so." That gave us a choice of keeping an unhappy player on big wages or taking the 3 million on offer.

I am doubtful that Bordeaux would have held on for however long it took for us to sign a replacement for Diawara until they completed the signing, although its hard to know.

Simply cannot agree on Diawara's performances last season, I thought he was a liability and gave away so many free kicks that it was ridiculous and was often out of position.

Still, we'll have to agree to differ on that one.
  • Options
    I was in the West with Dave Storry and my two kids....Best game to take them to and 7 goals for a £5 a kid. They left well happy, never seen my 6 year old daughter get involved so much!! There qwas a fella behind me who would not leave Macarthorse alone either, letting rip for most of the 90 mins....he cheered like mad when we scored until he realised who had won it for us.
  • Options
    I'm with you Ormiston on Diawara but that's in the past. For whatever reason the defence that looked fine in the first half just seemed to collapse/switch off.

Peter Taylor was there and he must have been rubbing his hands.

Todorov was class. Wonderful effort that hit the bar. Should have wrapped it up when it was still 2-0 and he didn't finish off a good passing move.

Racon looked promising. Lots of fight and energy but hard to tell against Stockport if he is really good enough. It was his debut in English football so got to give him the benefit of the doubt. Was it Racon or Sam who made the long run that lead to the free kick from which Sam scored.

I thought Sam did well other than some over hit crosses. Lovely goal and must be in the 16 for Saturday.

ZZ was strong and looked better pushed on with Faye (oh dear) behind him.

McLeod didn't seem at the races but did win the pen and had at least one very good long range shot. maybe needs time to adjust to the team.

I guess it will be a different team on Saturday when Ried and Magic come back and Iwelumo starts plus maybe some new defenders.

Can't fault the entertainment but at half time I was hoping for a 5 or 6 thrashing that we never seem to dish out to lower league sides. Silly me.
  • Options
    We had a half arsed rendition of the Cory Gibbs song but got shut up when their second went in at about number 8!!

[cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]Think I saw Ketman, Stu from SE7 and Carlsberg in the covered end as well, wonder what they thought of it.

T'was Carter not Carlsberg matey, he gets upset when he's confused for me!!
  • Options
    This is the same Diawara that admitted he found the physical nature of the Premier league a challenge when he started and that too much of the football was played in the air?! A good defender but perhaps not suited to this league...

Pards will bring in a CB & RB by friday.
  • Options
    buggering hell i was gutted i didnt make it.

left work at 7.30
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]Racon looked very good, agreed that Sam was at times fckin frustrating to watch, but he showed up when it mattered. McCarthy/McLeod/Faye all utter shite.Todorov decent again, blinder of a goal.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought everyone said Todorov was useless......?

;o)

yeah that west ham fan did said todorov ,varney and iwelumo were the worst strikers we could have bought,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'm with you Ormiston on Diawara but that's in the past. For whatever reason the defence that looked fine in the first half just seemed to collapse/switch off.

Stockport changed it at half time, brought off the big man and replace with one who dropped a little deeper. MacCarrthy didn't win the physical battle in the first half, and then got outwitted in the 2nd.

It was a Sam run that won the free kick.
  • Options
    And we've yet to see anything of Varney who I thought would be the pick of the bunch. Can he play centre half?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was a cracking game, defence resembles a sieve which is never good! I thought Sam was good last night, ok frustrating at times but once he got really confident he looked really really good. He actually delivered some great crosses and was beating players for fun. Todorov and Zheng are definately a class above for me, no doubt about it. Racon also impressed me, looks full of energy and willing to put himself about. Deffo need defenders before saturday though!
  • Options
    Difficult to add stuff as most has been said, but there were a few doughnuts making comments when Stockport's third went in (Cannot be real Charlton fans sorry). Nice to see Badger & daughter at H/T who seemed to be enjoying the game. Tried starting a few songs in F Block traditon, but hats off to East Stand who seemed far more co-ordinated than the North tonight for a change.
  • Options
    Racon looked good for me, here, there and everywhere, good on the ball, sharp in the tackle.

ZZ is a class above though, the bloke is an exceptionally gifted footballer, with a fantastic attitude, which a lot could learn from
  • Options
    Talking about ZZ , maybe those misses at Liverpool actually did us a massive favour, as maybe if he had put both of those away he most probably would have been snapped up by a prem side.....
  • Options
    By tye way, did powelly do his tunnel celebration???
  • Options
    I enjoyed the game, thought we regained composure well after going behind when we seemed to have lost the plot for a twenty minute period. Racon was very impressive, Sam played well, Semedo was pretty good, but Fortune seems to go to sleep at times....he was caught out 4 or 5 times. Thought Mc Carthorse had his best game yet although he is mediocre at best, and will cost us games the way he is going (as a Leicester fan predicted when we signed him). McLeod...not sure, juries out. ZZ like everyone said was very sharp. However, hats off from me to Stockport who actually tried to play football and after the tactical switch had a very good spell, they deserved the round of applause at the end of the match, and to their fans who made a lot of noise for 200 or so.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Racon looked good for me, here, there and everywhere,

A bit of a Beatles fan is he?.....:-)
  • Options
    Couldn't clap when that prick scored the winner just shhok my head in disbelief how bad can you really be.McCleod just isn't a championship player,christ for another £200k we could of got Eastwood.Racon looked very good,and Powelly dare I say it looked past it.Sam played well and Toddy looks a class act at this level.Apart from that I loved it.By the way Hillsy that was probably me who was slating McCarthorse and AFKA everything that geezer was saying in the East I was repeating in the West.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]Think I saw Ketman, Stu from SE7 and Carlsberg in the covered end as well, wonder what they thought of it.

T'was Carter not Carlsberg matey, he gets upset when he's confused for me!!
    Oh, sorry mate!
  • Options
    Didn't Eastwood choose Wolves over us because of his mate from Grays was playing there?