Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Esther Rantzen RIP
golfaddick
Posts: 36,889
Just seen this on the news.
Thats Life was THE programme to watch on a Sunday evening.
RIP
6
Comments
-
Saturday night TV legend.
RIP0 -
Literally, that’s life.
Famous for Sunday night TV, but should perhaps be remembered more for her founding work with childline (0800 11 11), and more recently for her advocacy of assisted dying.RIP5 -
RIP, my daughter now 16 even knows about childline, thats how important and inspirational Esther was.
Iconic.4 -
RIP Dame Esther.
Essential viewing on Sunday evening's as a kid.0 -
Aaaaaand Finally…..
RIP0 -
sausages3
-
RIP to a great lady.1
-
RIP0
-
RIP . Used to really enjoy That’s Life as a nipper.1
-
Sleep tight, lovely lady.2
-
Sponsored links:
-
Yep, Thats Life was always on our TV on a Sunday night when I was a kid. TV Royalty.
RIP.0 -
Sad news I hope she didn't suffer too much at the end, she fought bravely for people in her situation.
As well as Childline, she also set up Silverline for lonely older people. A champion of consumer rights too. A very brave lady, who will be missed.3 -
RIP - lovely lady and I never missed That's Life.0
-
RIP - through Childline and the Silverline she made lives better for so many.1
-
That’s very sad news, RIP Esther. Used to love That’s Life growing up.0
-
Done a lot of good in her life RIP.0
-
A life well lived. RIP0
-
RIP to a great lady who certainly put in more than she took out.1
-
RIP0
-
What a lady RIP my love🙏🙏0
-
Sponsored links:
-
Helped an awful lot of people. RIP Dame Esther.1
-
R I P0
-
I was reading on social media last night and it seems everyone that met her said the exact opposite to this thread and she was hugely unpopular and not at all a nice person.
Personally I have no opinion only that "I'll call Childline" was a common joke in the household when we were younger whenever our parents pissed us off so, in a perverse way, it was clearly a big deal and she was an integral part of it.
RIP1 -
RIP0
-
Very influential woman, who did a lot of good.
RIP1 -
Fantastic campaigner for both senior citizens, children and those that had been done wrong. Never heard a bad word said about her. Fantastic women.
Some great moments on that's life like lirpa loof and the dog that said sausages.
RIP great lady.1 -
She was a huge part of our childhood and I doubt kids today would understand how influential she was.
I can’t look at a dog with an underbite without screaming ‘sausages’!!
She was a trailblazer for women imho.
Best friends with Michael Grade who tried to convince her to take over his job when he left.
She even wrote for Miriam Margoles back in the day.
For all the good she did, we couldn’t help her with her final request and that’s a huge regret for me.
Rest in eternal peace Esther and thank you ❤️3 -
I spent a summer working in a hotel in Romsey, just outside Southampton, in probably 1984. Esther and her husband Desmond Wilcox would quite often come in for Sunday lunch with their brood of kids. I forget how many, perhaps three, but they were quite a lively bunch. Esther and Desmond were always cheerful and very courteous, a pleasure to have in the place, and herded their offspring effectively.This was a bit before she set up Childline, so i only really knew of her through That's Life then. Very nice woman who really made a difference.RIP2
-
Our MPs and Lords should reflect on their inability to pass the assisted dying legislation.Such a shame she didn’t see this enacted.The Nicholas Winton moment is (was) a tremendous TV event.0
-
I just watched the Nicholas Winton clip again and it never fails to move me; well done Esther for that alone. That’s Life was a great show back in the day.2

















