Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 31st August 1968. Crystal Palace 3 Charlton 3

13»

Comments

• Options

Love reading the tales of you old geriatrics :-)

Proper supporters, proper stories...
    Also, law of averages says we’ve been to more legendary games...and if you were lucky to have been around in 1968/69 then there probably hasn’t been a better season for stories...fuck, just realised that was also the first season I had a season ticket...
  • Options

We only tell you the one's we can get away with.
    You should here the one's we can't say on here. )
  • Options

We only tell you the one's we can get away with.
    You should here the one's we can't say on here. )
    best not to incriminate ourselves :wink:
  • Options
    The smell of beer, fags and sweat in a packed Covered end. Lovely.
  • Options

Especially the night matches... my idea of paradise!
  • Options

1975, one of the best nights ever in the Covered End, promotion against Preston
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

1975, one of the best nights ever in the Covered End, promotion against Preston
    forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/6815/the-week-that-was-29th-april-1975-charlton-3-preston-1/p1
  • Options
    That Chelsea game for Keith Peacock's Testimonial, was a fair old night in the Covered End. The Chelsea and Millwall fans crewing up behind the Covered End and then hundreds of them coming up two of the stairwells at the same time, singing "Chelsea and Millwall",only to face a huge mob of Charlton lads, they were soon sent packing behind the covered end again.
  • Options
    TEL said:

That Palace 1-0 against Burnley, didn’t they get some ridiculously huge crowd of over 50,000 or am I dreaming?

No not totally dreaming but two different games v Burnley;

1979 promotion game......51,000 on a Friday night (I think). Unbelievable crowd.

1983 relegation game v Burnley.....22,000 on a Tuesday night (this was the last game of season.....everyone else finished on the previous Saturday).....still a massive crowd for a Div 2 relegation game in 1983.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

TEL said:

That Palace 1-0 against Burnley, didn’t they get some ridiculously huge crowd of over 50,000 or am I dreaming?

No not totally dreaming but two different games v Burnley;

1979 promotion game......51,000 on a Friday night (I think). Unbelievable crowd.

1983 relegation game v Burnley.....22,000 on a Tuesday night (this was the last game of season.....everyone else finished on the previous Saturday).....still a massive crowd for a Div 2 relegation game in 1983.
    I seem to remember the Mirror doing a back page report at the time of how huge the crowd was. Thanks for clarifying that.
  • Options
    Went to the palace game but had to wait for the ol man to come home from a union meeting so didn’t get in till half time and missed both goals stood on a tin roof on top of the karsi at the back of the Holmesdale. Once a shit hole always a shit hole.
  • Options

And peanut shells everywhere.
  • Options
    Don't forget Knees Up Mother Brown
  • Options

Ah, the smell of piss and chips!
  • Options
    Yeah, the toilets were a bit basic to say the least.