Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England

Over the past few years I have come less and less excited at the fact England are playing. I remember a time when I would not want to miss a game.

So much so I don’t even know who we are playing this weekend.

Anyone else lost the buzz of watching the national side play?

Comments

• Options
    yeah, good individual players, rubbish as a team. boring boring boring imo
  • Options
    I'm exactly the same. The Ericsson period killed it for me. It coincided with the key players becoming more than just minor celebrities, and he wasn't strong enough to to hold a firm rule over them. With that they lost an essential ingrediant of being a successful team, and believe they are above it and better than they actually are.

I'm a proud Englishman and will no doubt fall in love with watching England again in the future. I'll always want us to do well in major championships etc, but i just find it very hard in this period fully getting behind idiots like Rio, Ashley Cole etc
  • Options
    Not me mate, Its a Team I follow that I get to see still, Next season Charlton back in the premier league will be great too
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    not taking defoe or bent to the world cup did it for me.really dislike the current england setup and hopefully i will feel different when maclaren gets sacked.i made carragher right in retiring.
  • Options
    English through & through me, will always support the National team whether they are on a par with Brazil or Scotland. In fact I would say I have fall more in love with them as I have got older. Got tickets for Israel & Russia.

You guys are just Plastics :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]English through & through me, will always support the National team whether they are on a par with Brazil or Scotland. In fact I would say I have fall more in love with them as I have got older. Got tickets for Israel & Russia.

You guys are just Plastics :-)

Apart from when we play cricket eh :-)
  • Options
    LOL Shag
  • Options
    I'm going to Wembley for both games in the next week, but when you see stats like 118 premier league goals so far this season, 9 of them coming from english players, you have to worry about the long term good of the team.
  • Options
    I'm the same.

Couldn't even be bothered to walk round to the other side of the pub to watch the Germany game on the big screen. Caught occasional glimpses on the small screen on my side of the pub but really couldn't have cared less.
  • Options
    Used to go to Wembley often when I lived in London. I still want England to do well, but don't get anywhere near as emotionally involved as I used to (and still do with Charlton).

In fact half of me thinks losing one of the next two games will be a good thing, as not qualifying for the Euros will mean the end of Maclaren. If he somehow scrapes through, then I don't hold out much hope for our prospects at the finals or in qualifying for the next World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like to see England win at football and Cricket but no that upset when we lose. It's not as if it was important like a Charlton game.

Rugby world cup will be supporting Togo and Italy. Any one but England (other than Scotland, Wales or Ireland of course)
  • Options
    Rugby bores me to tears but I want England to do well . I can't understand how you can support another country ?
  • Options
    We won't qualify, which in a way might be the reality check we need, McClaren will go, and then someone else will come in. However it still doesn't solve the problem that so few English players are playing in the Premier League, and that the academy system isn't working in this country.
  • Options
    I love watching England play and want them to do well at any and every sport (I let myself in for a lot of dissapointment, I know) I love the buzz of Engand games, its great.

Henry, how can you sit there and watch a rugby match and want us to do badly, I just don't understand that at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Rugby bores me to tears but I want England to do well . I can't understand how you can support another country ?

I support Ireland at rugby:
    1) It was the trade I agreed with Mr Weegie (who's Irish) to get him to support Charlton.
    2) Brian O'Driscoll is gorgeous.
  • Options
    i'm bored of England.

I used to always be down the pub with my mates to watch every game be it a friendly, qualifier or a tournament, singing songs, getting hammered and having a great time.

Don't do it anymore, none of my mate's do. Mainly because we are constantly moaning about the bloody team but ultimately because it's so blinking boring.

I'll still be there for the tournament games and back the team fully and want them to do well but it's club before country every time for me.
  • Options
    I used to go home and away regularly in the late 80's early 90's but haven't been for years.

Never got as passionate about them as I do for Charlton though.
  • Options
    Bizarrely i only really care about the fortunes of the England cricket team at the moment, will watch the Rugby and Football matches but have no emotional attachment to them anymore and if i miss a game i'm not that fussed.

Rothko - I agree what you're saying but when you look at the top 5 clubs Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs and Less so Arsenal, they are built around a core of quality English players. There must be somebody that can get the likes of a decent team out of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rooney, Rio, Cole, Cole, Hargreeves, Rooney, Crouch, Foster, King, Bent, Defoe... or are they all average players that are made to look good and by complimenting the play of their foreign team mates?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Rugby bores me to tears but I want England to do well . I can't understand how you can support another country ?

I support Ireland at rugby:
    1) It was the trade I agreed with Mr Weegie (who's Irish) to get him to support Charlton.
    2) Brian O'Driscoll is gorgeous.

Now weegie if you want arrogance he's yer man! according to a couple of people who've met him.
  • Options
    Must admit i use to travel quite a bit with England,however give me Charlton all day long!Walking down Wembley way the other week i can honestly say i have never seen as many chavs in one place!all of about 19 giving it to Germans who were just minding there own business and out for a good time!
    However i do love England!shame they never deliver the goods!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You've ruined it now for me, Curb_It!

(Thought doubt I'll ever get close enough to him to find out for myself, so will just continue to admire from afar...)
  • Options
    "However i do love England!shame they never deliver the goods!"

Neither do Charlton that often I!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Bizarrely i only really care about the fortunes of the England cricket team at the moment, will watch the Rugby and Football matches but have no emotional attachment to them anymore and if i miss a game i'm not that fussed.

Rothko - I agree what you're saying but when you look at the top 5 clubs Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs and Less so Arsenal, they are built around a core of quality English players. There must be somebody that can get the likes of a decent team out of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rooney, Rio, Cole, Cole, Hargreeves, Rooney, Crouch, Foster, King, Bent, Defoe... or are they all average players that are made to look good and by complimenting the play of their foreign team mates?

You look at those players, and how many would get a game week in week out? probably only the first 5, the rest are fighting for places, Joe Cole doesn't start enough, Ashley Cole is in and out, Crouch is behind Torres and Kyut, King is never fit, Bent and Defoe are 3 and 4 choice.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]"However i do love England!shame they never deliver the goods!"

Neither do Charlton that often I![/quote]
    Lol seen Charlton achieve more than England in my life time
  • Options
    I must admit my love of watching England has grown again now we are back at Wembley. Going saturday and wednesday and can't wait.
  • Options
    I do struggle to get excited about England games, I think its cos I feel i cant connect to the team as a whole, I also think thats why I drifted away from Charlton the last couple of years before last season. Because looking at the players it seemed no one cared about being there. The players I had growing up ya Kinsella's, Brown's, Robinson's always looked as if they were Charlton thru and thru. I think thats why the celebrations by the players after Saturday meant so much to me.
    However saying that I am going to Wembley the weekend so maybe after going and seeing the team play i'll feel a bit better about it.
  • Options
    There is a lot of plastic sounding comments re our national side.

However it angers me to see players looking like they would rather be elsewhere whilst wearing their national shirt, the TEAM is still ours. Yes I don't feel as connected to the starting XI or even the squad as maybe 10 years ago but they are still representing us.

Granted they do not deserve the support they get but thats a credit to us, the support, not them.

Agree with everyone about McClaren he's clueless, typical promoting from within number 2 can't command respect and we may as well have stuck with Sven (who wasn't half as bad as people suggest)
  • Options
    I am sorry, but do not agree with anyone saying it's Good for the National Team not to qualify for a major Tournament. Balderdash & Piffle :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]

Henry, how can you sit there and watch a rugby match and want us to do badly, I just don't understand that at all.

Just don't see it as "us". Find the sport boring and find the arrogance and smug superiority of the what is a tiny minority game annoying in the extreame.

If England manage to overcome the mighty Canada or Luxemborg or whoever then listen to the "look how nice and posh our rugby players are, so much nicer than those chavvy football types. Rugby is overtaking football, blah, blah, blah, real mens game".

Pass me the sick bucket and come on Togo.
  • Options
    lol