Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just can't get motivated about the england team,the players look half interested and a few clueless managers on the trot have killed it stone dead for me,i want england to win but if they don't then i wont get too depressed about it.Charlton are a totally different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    I thought the utter chaos of euro 2000 under Keegan was great, we were total cack but that was the last tournament I remember big pubs really buzzing for.

Especially the Germany game, the firkin in Chatham got smashed after every game beyond belief and just opened back up for the next one as if nothing had happened!!

Plus we scored more in the group stages than is natural for England at the time
  • Options
    Sorry, not qualifing would be a good thing, it did a world of good in 94, and it will do a world of good in 2008.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Sorry, not qualifing would be a good thing, it did a world of good in 94, and it will do a world of good in 2008.

How did it do good? We were at home in 96 and did what in 98? Got knocked out as soon as we played a decent side. just like we do every tourney.
  • Options
    Got shot of Taylor, who if we had qualifed took us to 96, were I fear we could have underperformed.

As for 98, the problems started when the FA got all silly over Venables, and left us stuck with a poor manager in Hoddle.
  • Options
    Sorry I do not see that not qualifying helps at all, rather we qualified & then failed then the manager can get sacked, it does not benefit the National side to miss tournaments in my opinion. BTW McClaren is an arse & I hope he is replaced after we get knocked out in Switzerland / Austria .
  • Options
    We get there, and the FA will let him off the hook, like they did with Taylor in 92, you then end up not being able to out the bloke till the next qualifying campaign.

We should be getting out of this group as runners up, at the moment, I'll be stunned if we get anything from either both the Russia game, and lucky to finish 3rd in the group
  • Options
    Love England playing, want England to do well in all sports. Stick with them through thick and thin (mostly thin...). Can't understand why anyone would want us knocked out, traitors!

Plus it's good for business...
  • Options
    Bored with the whole England thing.

If we get to the Euro's,/ World cup the press will build it up, the whole nation will get excited and we'll bomb out in the qtrs or semi's as usual.

All my footie passion saved for CAFC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Got shot of Taylor, who if we had qualifed took us to 96, were I fear we could have underperformed.

As for 98, the problems started when the FA got all silly over Venables, and left us stuck with a poor manager in Hoddle.

But we harldy did well in 96. Every host nation had reached the semis in previous euro and I think only Belgium have failed since.

Sacking a poor manager isn't reason enough as they will just appoint another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hoodle was a very good England manager whose record stacks up against some of Englands very best. The bloke was however an idiot whose beliefs got him the sack not what he got the team to do on the pitch. Venables is like teflon, he was crap where ever he went after 98, yet no one has a bad word to say... he's even involved in the current joke of a set up!

I'd have given it to fat sam. The blokes as 'technically' advanced as any other manager in the world and knows how to get the more than the sum of a teams parts. He wears his heart on his sleeve...
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Hoodle was a very good England manager whose record stacks up against some of Englands very best.
    As does Eriksson's
  • Options
    Indeed... While i'll never forgive Erikson for taking Bent to the WC - I was in such a mood i booked a holiday in Egypt and didn't watch any England games... actually that was the time i stopped being interested in England!
  • Options
    It wasn't that he didn't take Bent (or Defoe) but that he took Walcott and then refused to play him. With Owen just back from injury and clearly not match fit, and Rooney set to miss the first few games it was ridiculous not to take either one in preference to a 17 year old who had never played either for England or even Arsenal, especially as it meant starting with Crouch who had a poor goal scoring record with Liverpool considering the strength of that side.

That was the point that I really gave up interest in England, the team was a collection of big name players from big name clubs and ericcson was too scared to confront the clubs or drop under-achievers, either that or he didn't wanted to burn any bridges when it came to looking for a club to manage after leaving the FA.
  • Options
    I'll be watching the rugby on Saturday.
  • Options
    Very few England managers seem to get the sack for incompetence. Robson and Keegan walked away, El Tel was allowed to go because of alegedly dodgy business deals, Hoddle went because of his mad beliefs, and Sven got caught with his trousers down one too many times. Probably wrong, but I think Taylor and Ramsey were the only ones given the boot?
  • Options
    but I think Taylor and Ramsey were the only ones given the boot?

Taylor resigned although he'd undoubtedly have been sacked for not qualifying for the 94 WC, I think his contract had a year left when he walked. I think Ramsay was sacked though in 1974 for not qualifying for the WC in Germany.
  • Options
    Says it all really, the only one given the boot was the only one to have won something.