Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew to replace Ferguson?

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
LINK: manchestereveningnews.co.uk
The Glaswegian told an audience at the Citizens Theatre in his home city that he admired Alan Pardew, Sunderland boss Roy Keane and Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce.

"Pardew at Charlton has got something about him, he is a good young manager," Ferguson said.

Comments

• Options
    Mark Hughes or Roy Keane to replace old Red Nose
  • Options
    Oh Pards will love that wont he.

Make his ego bigger than it already is!
  • Options
    What is it with him and Charlton managers? He always said he was great buddies with Curbs too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Oh Pards will love that wont he.

Make his ego bigger than it already is!

Is that really possible??
  • Options
    Weegie, i really hate to say it but i'm turning more and more to your camp on the Pardew thing.

I think he is doing a good job for us at the moment, i think he has the tools to be an excellent, top level manager, but i'm not too sure i like or trust him.
  • Options
    Same here AFKA, same here.

Just something about him. He's like a girlfriend who you want to have around all of the time but still need to let her out occasionally with her mates to show you trust her.

However, when she is out and you can't see her there are doubts in your head.

Text me and tell me what you're doing Pardew goddammit.

(This is not reflective upon my current relationship status)
  • Options
    A lot of this is a culture shock for some, from Curbs to Pards is a massive difference
  • Options
    im the same to be honest.

And i really wish i could find that quote he made when he joined west ham, basically saying we werent a big enough club for him.

He's our manager so we love him but boy has he got one big ed.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should rename Pards 'Old Bighead' ....hang on a minute wasn't a certain Brian Clough called that ?
  • Options
    Think I've said it on here before - I've met both Curbs and Pards at Charlton dinners.

I'd never quite been sure what exactly to make of Curbs before I met him, but he was fantastic - really genuine and had a lot of time for the supporters. Pardew, on the other hand, was there because he had to be and couldn't disguise the fact that he was looking down his nose at everyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs may be the nicer person to got to dinner with, but I don't think we could get a better manager than Pardew at the moment.
  • Options
    I think it's just not what were used too, he is openly attack minded and confident in his ability. Where as Curbs covered everything with caution.

I like it, its different and what we have needed for so very very long
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Perhaps we should rename Pards 'Old Bighead' ....hang on a minute wasn't a certain Brian Clough called that ?
    Good call. Who would you rather take a chance on as manager - a Brian Clough or a Roy Evans?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I think it's just not what were used too, he is openly attack minded and confident in his ability. Where as Curbs covered everything with caution.

spot on geezer
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I think it's just not what were used too, he is openly attack minded and confident in his ability. Where as Curbs covered everything with caution.

Exactly! I nearly died of boredom at the Valley on several occasions during Curbs' last three seasons. I enjoyed last season and I'm enjoying this one so much more.

PS Where's Salad?
  • Options
    I think he's just very open and honest like the dyer pointed out confident in his own ability.
  • Options
    The difference is that Curbs turned down a number of offers from biggers clubs while managing us - i have a gut feeling that Pardew wouldnt.

I'm not saying thats wrong on Pards' part but as people have said, its different to what many of us are used to.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The difference is that Curbs turned down a number of offers from biggers clubs while managing us - i have a gut feeling that Pardew wouldnt.

I'm not saying thats wrong on Pards' part but as people have said, its different to what many of us are used to.[/quote]

Basically he is like 95% of the people in this country its a job, if a better one comes along he may well go for it.
    Maybe Curbs paid the price for being a bit to loyal to us?

Lets enjoy it whilst he is here and not worry to much about things that we cannot control.

God i'm in a confident mood this week.

Ps I think salad has just signed in
  • Options
    Didn't Curbs say he never receieved the alleged other offers. If he did turn any down, I suspect it would have been equally to do with staying in his well-paid comfort zone as to do with loyalty (eg. at West Ham, he has gone down the Upton Valley route).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I think salad has just signed in
    where?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]What is it with him and Charlton managers? He always said he was great buddies with Curbs too.[/quote]

That's mostly because we obligingly surrendered up three points every time we played.

I suspect that it's also because Charlton are one of the few clubs that don't have a chip on their shoulder about Man U.
  • Options
    amen to that Danny.
  • Options
    sigh!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I think he's just very open and honest like the dyer pointed out confident in his own ability.

I'm purely giving an opinion on them as people rather than managers - for all I've said, I do agree that Pardew is probably the best we could have at the moment. I don't for a second believe he's compeletely trustworthy, open and honest, though.
  • Options
    was that a little sigh there threadkiller?
  • Options
    Pards will be off the moment a club bigger than us comes calling, of that I have no doubt.

However, whilst he is here he will get my full backing particularly whilst he goes out 100% at least trying to win matches which is something we seemed to forget to do over the last few years.

Sooper Sooper Al.....
  • Options
    Correct Cricket.
  • Options
    I think we have Pards for this season at least, but I'd be surprised if he's still around in a year or two whether we get promoted or not.
  • Options
    I think fergie is a charlton fan,
    He liked curbs (when he was here)
    and now he like pards since hes been here
    why else would he keep such a good interest in our managers
    :-) ;-)
  • Options
    I could put money on Pards winning this league for us and then taking a bigger job next season. I'm happy with that although I'd be disappointed if he left before then.

PARKINSON'S RED AND WHITE ARMY