Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crouch or Heskey?

Who would you go for?

Even though I thought it was pretty embarrassing to see Heskey in an England shirt on Saturday, he didn't do too bad and thus I think McLaren should stick with the same team to encourage consistency. Crouch has hardly played for Liverpool this year but he is well recognised as a handful when introduced later in the game.

I bet he picks Crouch though.

Comments

• Options
    On the basis that on Saturday they were better than for a long time (not that that says much!) I'd keep the status quo and retain Heskey.
  • Options
    Play the same team that won on saturday
  • Options
    why was it embarrassing i don't understand ...... please explain.

Heskey by the way
  • Options
    Heskey and owen, Crouch if needs be as a sub.
  • Options
    Apart from the winning team issue, Crouch has only been a bit part player for Liverpool this season. It would be risky to start with him. I'd go with Heskey.
  • Options
    Got to be E-Mail for me as well - he's a better all-round player than Crouch anyway, and there's always the bonus of him not looking like a shopping trolley full of coat hangers falling down a flight of stairs every time he breaks into a trot
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]why was it embarrassing i don't understand ...... please explain.

Heskey by the way

I've always thought the guy is a donkey to be honest and given that he scored only 5 goals in 44 games for England previously, for me he never consistently shined at international level. He did a job on Saturday and so fair pay to him but I really don't foresee him doing this on a regular basis over the next however long. Maybe embarrassing was the wrong word, perhaps I should have said concerning or something of the like.

As I said I'd play him again tomorrow and of course hopes he does the job again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/citefor me he never consistently shined at international level.

Heskey and Owen are statistically the best pairing we have, heskey compliments owens playstyle exceptionally well.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Heskey and Owen have played together a lot over the years but to be honest England haven't really shined over the same years with a few single games being the exception (Germany 5-1 etc). I suppose the whole issue will be irrelevant when Rooney is back in any case.
  • Options
    Heskey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heskey - he's in form.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    heskey.i thought he had a very good game and was a very good partner with owen causing a lot of problems. play crouch and owen together in a friendly and not on the back of a very good partnership in a qualifying game.

it's almost like saying to barry that if hargreaves or lampard were fit then you wouldn't get a lookin either.even though you don't get many opportunities to shine at international level and you and heskey both played great.
  • Options
    Heskey, but lets not hope we are having this debate if we get to the Euros.
  • Options
    Crouch shouldn't even be in the squad, Heskey was played on Saturday as a link up man and to hold the ball up.

Crouch can't do that. He is pretty ineffective unless the ball lands on his head in front of an open goal three yards out
  • Options
    Israel couldn't physically get a handle on Heskey.

They were putting a man in front of him to try and intercept passes as well as the man to mark him.
    That created space for others to exploit, as Wright-Phillips and Cole proved.

Some of Heskey's layoffs and his ability to bring others into the game was just what England have been missing.
    And he was always dangerous and caused panic at set pieces.

Got to play.
  • Options
    Why cant people see beyond goals scored when they look at strikers? Thats not all they do....Look at Marcus Bent for instance ;-)

Heskey is a lump, bashes defenders around, gets up and holds the ball up well and is the perfect foil for someone such as Owen. Unlike Crouch, who despite having a decent goals to games ratio does not help the far more dangerous and talented Owen in any way and seems to be a target for refs.

The question is where will Rooney fit in when hes back? Ive always though the big lump, nippy short arse combo is the best for a striking pair and it makes defences think and perhaps hesitate.....
  • Options
    I don't like Heskey.
    But it goes back to the age old England problem. Do you play the best players or best team?
    Only the best team wins imo (well for us anyhoo)
    When Rooney plays we're not the same team.
    When Lampard & Gerrard both play we're not a good team.
    So after Saturday's performance, which was the best for a long while. It's got to be Heskey as he does play well with Owen.
  • Options
    Good point KBsLS - We won the World Cup with the best team, leaving Greaves out of the latter stages.

I dont think you can leave Rooney out so perhaps having him sitting behind Heskey and Owen?

MF I'd play Gerrard and Hargreaves (his work rate is outstanding) If we play 442 then J Cole left and either SWP or Becks on the right.

The back 5 (incl GK) pick themselves I think, although I'd prefer to see Bridge than A Cole as I think his delivery is much better.
  • Options
    It'll take a brave manager to leave Rooney out, of that there is no doubt.

I would like to think SWP could take up the Beckham mantle but his final ball is often found wanting & he better start singing the national anthem as his Dad looked a bit miffed about that ;-)

But am with you on Gerrard & Hargreaves.
  • Options
    Heskey for me too.

When the BBC put the teamnsheet up on Saturday before the game, for the first time in a long time I thought it actually looked like England were putting out a balanced team and not squeezing in as many tabloid fillers as they could.

I always think the manager should pick the players to fit the formation not make up stupid formations because you've got two good attacking centre mids for example. I'm convinced that if England's best 11 players were all centre forwards then McClaren would come up with a formation that fit them all in. It's a team game, teams full of superstars don't work, something that's been witnessed time and time again, you need players for the superstars to play off of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heskey for me, he had a really good game on Saturday, linked up the play well, and worked his socks off like he always does, Owen looked happier playing next to him as well.

England's problem has been in the middle of the park, but hopefully it'll be Gerrard and Hargraves/Barry for the next few games
  • Options
    Heskey to start - he's a much better foil for Owen.

Bring on Crouch as an 'impact player' if it's not going right in the 2nd half.
  • Options
    BTW when he's fit, I would have Dean Ashton over Crouch and Heskey
  • Options
    Agree entirely. I think, injuries allowing, Ashton will go on to be a really top notch footballer.
  • Options
    Crouch should never be a starter. He's useful as a 70th minute sub but if you start with him you encourage the 'hoof it to the big lad' style of play. English players are the last ones who need to be encouraged in that way.
  • Options
    Crouch would not get in my Sunday side, makes England One Dimensional & gives away too many free kicks if he did not play for Liverpool he would get NO WHERE NEAR our national side & that is a fact. At least Heskey can run :-)
  • Options
    Crouch is like a lamp post, but not so bright...... :o)

He certainly looks ungainly and like many very tall forwards, not as good in the air as you would expect him to be.
    The surprising thing about Crouch is he does have a very good first touch - always the hallmark of a good footballer.

But whether he's international class - well, the jury's out.
  • Options
    crouch is a pretty decent finisher, but its about goalscoring partnerships if you ask me.

I'd retain both Crouch and Rooney when fit on the bench personally
  • Options
    I'll be the first to say that Heskey played really well tonight - fair play to him. Let's see if McLaren has the balls to keep him in the team when everyone is fit.
  • Options
    I agree, but biggest performance was Gareth Barry for me. But the fact over the two games he's probably been the best player will leave him no where when the likes of Lumpard and Hargreaves are fit. If he starts the next game i'd be very surprised put it that way. For me tho, i'd start the next game with the same team as tonight and Saturday.