Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

leicester: goal of the season, brochures on the pitch,

the brownie sending off (that was a leicester game - wasn't it ?), nicking lennie glover off us...any other memorable events that spring to mind ?

Comments

• Options
    they brought thousands to upton park for a promotion party or something, but we hadn't read the script and beat them 2-0 i think?
  • Options
    yeah that was quality, goals from David Whyte and Morts?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]they brought thousands to upton park for a promotion party or something, but we hadn't read the script and beat them 2-0 i think?[/quote]

Remember that well they all streamed out of the south stand into the chicken run as it was too full. David Whyte got a cracker that day while on loan, put it round the defender one way and he went the other.
  • Options
    SInging over land and see - and Leicester.

Remember winning 2 - 0 at Filbert St for first away win in ages.
  • Options
    yeah I remember the 2-0 at Filbert St and a 1-1 draw when Flash scored, might of been first game of the season, also remember the 'baby squad' used to sit in the seats to our right, giving it large all game.
  • Options
    I am still traumatised from the foxes winning 5-0 at The Valley in about 1970 - 3 points Saturday will help with the healing process !
  • Options
    yep and i remember that baby squad in the park on the way back to the station!cowards would attack you when they had the numbers
  • Options
    Watching Paul Bacon (remember him) playing his only decent game for the club in a 2-0 away win at Leicester in 1991. Apart from that game he was useless. I think Paul Gorman was playing up front for us that day.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Running on the pitch when Leaburn equalised in the 1-1 game at Filbert St a few years ago. Getting chucked out and being led through the home end and getting coined & spat on!

If memory serves me right, I was with Tavern that day although he had the presence of mind not to get on the pitch.

Also coming home from a night game when we won 2-1 and they had their keeper sent off. Tavern drove and we made it to Holloway Rd in time for probably the worst curry I've ever had. Walked out and only paid about half the bill!
  • Options
    DaveMehmet remember that well!i reckon that waiter spat in our food
    Can see you now getting led away at filbert st,seems like years ago mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I'd just split up from a long term girlfriend and decided to go for it. Vaguely remember knocking back triple vodkas in the pub opposite the station before the game!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Running on the pitch when Leaburn equalised in the 1-1 game at Filbert St a few years ago. Getting chucked out and being led through the home end and getting coined & spat on!

I seem to remember a certain BIG PUN doing the same , not sure if it was the same game though .

Game at Upton Park was a bit lively afterwards...
  • Options
    There were 3 of us who got on, although didn't know one of them.
  • Options
    Remember at the 2-0 at Upton Park, sitting in the Pie and Mash shop around the corner before the game, a bunch of leicester lads waiting about 20 minutes in the queue and then asking for fish and chips and wondering why we all laughed at them...
  • Options
    Went to the player of the year do after the 2-0 at Upton park.

That's when it was a proper do!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite] a bunch of leicester lads waiting about 20 minutes in the queue and then asking for fish and chips and wondering why we all laughed at them...

LOL

was drinking in the Hammers social club behind the back of the away end for that game. Had a nice drink, about 4 of us drifted out and suddenly there were thousands of Leicester. Ginger Ben then screamed 'come on then Leicester' and i thought i was going to die within about 60 seconds !!!

David Whyte was on fire that game. Cracking atmosphere. Despite our small numbers, you could always get a decent echo at the back of the North Bank.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Went to the player of the year do after the 2-0 at Upton park.

That's when it was a proper do!

would of been at that one. Where was it, Meridian or Waterfront ?
  • Options
    Meridian.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

I seem to remember a certain BIG PUN doing the same , not sure if it was the same game though .

Yeah, it was the same game. I remember him telling me about how when the OB got him outside he took his cap off and it was covered in gob!
  • Options
    shaun bartlett's goal best ever I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first game was agains Leicester - back in 1979!

Feel old.
  • Options
    you are
  • Options
    seem to remember beating them the first full season back at the valey 2v0 or 2v1 a chaple header or am i imagining it was only 9 at the time.
  • Options
    i forgot about that game at upton park...what a great day that turned out to be...there was so many of them i think they had to open the gates and let a lot of them in for free to ease the crush...shame, because we obviously needed the money at the time...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]you are

Cheers mate!

Bet I would still have the march on you though!
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]I am still traumatised from the foxes winning 5-0 at The Valley in about 1970 - 3 points Saturday will help with the healing process !

Wasn't it just after that game that Eddie Firmani got sacked?
  • Options
    Remember going to Leicester and winning 3-0 - late 70's I guess. Terry Brisley and Mike Flanagan amongst the scorers.
    Filbert Street eerily silent apart from our little band of Charlton singing our hearts out.

Those were the days when we often only took a single coachload of about 50, plus a few cars and a regular handful on the train.

We could only have dreamed of taking as many as 400 to a place like Everton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]I am still traumatised from the foxes winning 5-0 at The Valley in about 1970 - 3 points Saturday will help with the healing process !

I think thats right Oggy. I went to that game - a total nightmare. I think that was just about the worse performance by a Charlton side I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Dave Mehmet do you remember game at Upton Park Lee Grain got chased on his own by 10 of them,he ran back from Upton Park station to the ground through the main doors somehow found the tunnel and onto the pitch.Remember boozing in Manhattan's they were the days.What about the day Pompey came to visit !!!!!!!!!!!!! .Also the player of year do at Meridian Lee after his excursions told Pards in no uncertain terms he was before him in the queue to the bar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

That's right Oggy.

Firmani was so worried about the pace of Lenny Glover and their other winger (?Farrington) that he moved Mike Kenning to full back in an attempt to counter it.

Kenning understandably looked like a fish out of water and they totally outclassed us!

I cannot recall seeing anybody who was quicker than Lenny Glover and he could dribble and cross too! If anybody other than Alf Ramsey was England manager he would have played for England.