Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

leicester: goal of the season, brochures on the pitch,

2»

Comments

• Options
    I remember the one man pitch invasion when Leaburn scored at Filbert St. Very funny.
  • Options
    Last min Medonca equaliser at Filbert Street to make it 1-1.
  • Options
    the 5-0 at home 70-71 Season has never really sat that well with me...think Leicester went up as champs that year, wasnt long afterwards that we found ourselves in Division three. Last time I went to Leicester was in the early mid nineties...seem to remember it being 1-1, was in the seats to the right of their crew.....I was at Trumpton when Leicester were trying for a playoff place, didnt they bring about 8-9,000...I remember standing on the Northbank with the hordes streaming down the chicken run, wondering how long it would take them to overflow into our end.....great display that day by the team
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]I am still traumatised from the foxes winning 5-0 at The Valley in about 1970 - 3 points Saturday will help with the healing process !

Wasn't it just after that game that Eddie Firmani got sacked?

That's right Oggy.

Firmani was so worried about the pace of Lenny Glover and their other winger (?Farrington) that he moved Mike Kenning to full back in an attempt to counter it.

Kenning understandably looked like a fish out of water and they totally outclassed us!

I cannot recall seeing anybody who was quicker than Lenny Glover and he could dribble and cross too! If anybody other than Alf Ramsey was England manager he would have played for England.

I can't remember exactly now, Len (one day, I'll have to fish for the programme in a trunk of old Charlton stuff in the loft) but wouldn't Bob Curtis normally have played at fullback?

So I wonder why Firmani didn't just play Mike Kenning doubled up in front of Curtis?

If Kenning had got beat, Curtis could have just swept up the pieces. And Kenning still available as an outlet for the swift counter attack.

All a bit academic now, I suppose .....sorting out failed tactics from more than 35 years ago! LOL
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Colin Cameron wrote about this game in the programme today.

Kenning played LEFT BACK instead of Kinsey leaving Curtis on the right as usual.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That explains all then, Len.
    You wouldn't expect the current match day programme to answer the type of question we raised, just before it was available to buy....!!