Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most defining moment in Charlton history ?

2»

Comments

• Team wise. lots the most recent, sacking Reed and getting Pards in. Club, somehow just managing to survive Hulyer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I'm with Ketman on this. The staving off liquidation thing is without a doubt the most important event in the clubs history over the past 25 years.

As far as I recall at the time - and I've not heard anything to the contrary since - it was the Sunley deal or nothing, so if that hadn't gone through there probably wouldn't be a club in existence today.

Sure, if we hadn't won at St Andrews we might not have survived at SP, but you could say the same about IF we hadn't got promoted at SP in the first place, etc. The fact is that we were very nearly a gonna back in 1984. Everything else came after that, so it has to be the defining moment of recent history really and the starting point of where we are today.

Must admit Off IT I am staggered by some of the comments on this thread, if we didn't survive court appearance, Charlton were no more end of story. This Board is full of Johnny Come lately Plastics :-)
  • It all depends on how old you are, I think. For me it will always be losing 4-3 at home to Blackburn in the last game of the season straight after relegation from the old First Division. If we had gone straight up, and we'd managed to stay up, things could have turned out differently. One more goal would have done it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Must admit Off IT I am staggered by some of the comments on this thread, if we didn't survive court appearance, Charlton were no more end of story. This Board is full of Johnny Come lately Plastics :-)

Just like you plastic pirates last Thursday (?). Pirating is full time job you scallywag! I'm off to shiver someone's timbers.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Must admit Off IT I am staggered by some of the comments on this thread, if we didn't survive court appearance, Charlton were no more end of story. This Board is full of Johnny Come lately Plastics :-)

Just like you plastic pirates last Thursday (?). Pirating is full time job you scallywag! I'm off to shiver someone's timbers.

Sco as you well know due to my job I am only a part time pirate as I would scare away all the punters ahar !
  • In order though I might change my mind about that at any time and/or add/subtract others

Losing 3-4 at home to Blackburn at the Valley last game of the season. A draw and we would have gone straight back up to the first division. We didn't and the long decline went on from there all the way to Selhurst and Upton Park.

Jimmy Seed being appointed. No Seed and we may have been an Orient or a Brentford.

The Last game of the season win over Bolton in '82. If we had gone down to the third and then gone in recievership we may not have survived. As it was there was a aclub to save.

The Leeds play off as stated above

Getting back to the Valley.

Arsenal moving to Highbury leaving room for a pro team in the boro.
  • I remember a comment from Netaddicks a few years ago, if Arsenal hadn't moved we would all be Gooners and going down to the 100,000 seater Goonerdome in Thamesmead every other week........probably
  • Surely,the most defining moment was leaving the Valley in '85. It was also the best thing that ever happened; in hindsight of course.
    Many of the events mentioned above would simply never have happened without us leaving the Valley, it galvanised a dying club into a completely different beast. I believe we would not be anywhere near where we are today without leaving. For starters, Richard Murray chose to watch the nearest first-division club to his Surrey home (at Sellhurst not the Valley!). I also noticed that there were a few concerns recently that we are only managing 21,000+ gates in the championship and yet are managing to get gates higher than Southampton, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday and West Brom!
  • 1967-68: The season we were good enough to win the European Cup!

It all started in the December, in Division 2 when Charlton beat Birmingham City, 3-1.
    Then in the 6th Round of the FA Cup, Birmingham beat Chelsea, 1-0.

Chelsea won against Man Utd, 3-1.
    And in the European Cup Final, Man Utd beat Benfica, 4-1.

According to the record books, Man Utd became the first English team to win the European Cup.
    But it was a George Bush-like coverup.

You know and I know who it really should have been.

;o)
  • Some interesting comments. I see the point that without the high court outcome going in our favour then none of the other events would have followed.
    Nevertheless I really thought the club was going to die that evening in Birmingham - until Shirts popped up.
  • Sponsored links:

• i was there jim,great day,had my running trainers on when the final whistle blew
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Nevertheless I really thought the club was going to die that evening in Birmingham - until Shirts popped up.

I never forget the TV interview after that Leeds match.
    Shirty was asked, having scored the goals that denied Leeds promotion, how it felt to be a Yorkshireman:

".......'Appen I 'ave to play for Chaaaarton"
  • edited September 2007
    I was on a CRICKET tour in West Germany of all places in May '87. We, Abbey Wood Teachers, were playing a selection of UK RAF teams at Wedberg, Rhiendahlen etc.
    One bloke had a short wave radio and I will never forget him bursting into our Pontoon game screaming about Shirtlif's achievement.
    This was a momentous occasion for CAFC as it kept us in the 1st Division.
    However, for me, the most defining thing in CAFC's history is the FA Cup 1/4 final defeat to Boro on 12/04/06.
    If we had not have lost that game we may have gone to appear in the FA Cup Final and subsequently qualify for Europe for the 2006/7 season. If that had been the case we would have been stuck with AC and I and a lot of people would have not have renewed our 2006/7 season tickets.
    We would not have Super Al as our manager, something I just cannot bear to think about!!
  • Paul Ellis selling Away Programmes on a trestle table for me

or

Eve Waterman *not* doing the half time Valley Gold draw.
  • Just being there.
  • nice badger
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]winning the Championship and FA Cup double 2008

Just as well you didn't say the Carling Cup, Salad.

For me the answer would be St Andrew's and Roger Alwen joining the board.
  • there up there.
  • The night we got the go ahead by The peoples republic of Greenwich Greenwich Council to return to the Valley
  • The Greenwich massive take control and we go back to OUR SPIRITUAL HOME.
  • Sponsored links:

• Izale MacLeod missing 4 very good chances tonight?
  • the 47 cup win
  • Labour party supporters knocking on my door when i lived in Delafield road #71,opposite floyd road and telling me that it would not be a good idea to vote for the (back to the valley party)"They" were just being a nusiance?

They tried to convince me that it would be a wasted vote and it would not be a good idea as my car insurance would be increased and i would also be vunerable to football violence,"whatever you do don't vote for them"

They were told to f..k right off and never come back again.

wish i still had some of them posters?
  • Signing Clive Mendonca
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]Signing Clive Mendonca

Gotta be up there.Absolute steal.The moment we signed him i had a good feeling about things
  • Whilst The Valley Party, Sir Clive and the rest are all important milestones for the club the most defining moment in modern time must be the saving from liquidation coupled with the ability of Lennie Lawrence to not only keep the team together but to achieve promotion.
  • Well said, Lancs lad.

Lennie Lawrence should be revered as a real hero for us.
    He never even played in the Football League - he was an amateur with Sutton United or someone and a PE teacher before joining Argyle's training staff.

How he built a homeless promotion team out of peanuts and sheer adversity, let alone sustained top flight football for 4 seasons is testament to the man.

That makes him a manager of all managers in my book - and the saviour of our club.

Appointing Sir Lennie was a defining moment in Charlton history - and one thing at least that Mark Hulyer got right.