Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2 points lost or fair result?

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
For those at the game what was your opinion

Comments

• Options
    2 lost, no two ways about it.
  • Options
    They came for a point and offered nothing going forward until we scored. Then it was the old cornered rat syndrome, nothing to lose etc.

I've seen nothing in this league to worry about apart from Watford.
  • Options
    2 lost considering the majority of the game.

A point gained after their glaring miss at the end tho!!!!

At times we looked a class above, but we didn't massively trouble their keeper. I didn't think they were that bad a side though.
  • Options
    Have to agree - two points needlessly dropped.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]They came for a point and offered nothing going forward until we scored.[/quote]

And still offered nothing when we had scored - we gave them a point on a plate.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]They came for a point and offered nothing going forward until we scored.[/quote]

And still offered nothing when we had scored. The game was there for the taking and we should have scored a second goal. We didn't and instead we fall asleep and give them a point on a plate.
  • Options
    How did Sodyer play.....?

Is he what we've been looking for at centre back - dominant in the air?
  • Options
    Interesting that Pards thought that they were quite attacking:

"They came and played and made the pitch too big for us really. I thought they were excellent because so many teams have come here and shut up shop.
    "We kept it then they kept it in the first half, so we tightened up in the second half when we dominated."

All in all, thought we would have been worth the win, although they could also have scored with the header that went straight at Weaver and there was also the bad miss at the end.
  • Options
    Oggy, He wasn't really tested in that area. He nearly scored with a header though. Barnsley came for draw they offered nothing in attack until we went in front. I thought we looked a lot better when Thomas came on for Ambrose. Ambrose really should have put one in today amd the same should be said for Andy Reid.
  • Options
    Two points lost but that said to win you must take your chances. Ambrose in pariticular should have done better with his in the 2nd half.

Even I would have put that in at my age!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]Oggy, He wasn't really tested in that area. He nearly scored with a header though. Barnsley came for draw they offered nothing in attack until we went in front. I thought we looked a lot better when Thomas came on for Ambrose. Ambrose really should have put one in today amd the same should be said for Andy Reid.

Sodje did really well with that header and the Barnsley player on the post deserves credit for blocking it.
  • Options
    Thanks Joe & Lenny.

Sounds like Sodje is able enough and I like the way he's also a threat in their box.

I can't believe we couldn't defend a 1-0 lead for just 10 minutes .......
  • Options
    Oggy our inability to defend crosses has hurt us again today,surely after 10 games we should have sorted it out,extremely disappointed as we worked so hard to get the lead.
  • Options
    In fairness we did hit the woodwork twice, and if we'd been a little more direct once we'd got the ball in the area in the first half rather than trying to walk the ball in, we'd have been 3 up at half time. Once they brought that big lump of a number 14 on we were always going to have problems.
  • Options
    3 late goals in the last three games has cost us 4 points and nearly 6 given Hull could have equalized in the 10 added on time on Tuesday. Still to learn how to close out a game and defend a 1-0 lead.

Today Thomas chose to turn his back on the ball rather than do the simple thing and head into touch
  • Options
    I was thinking exactly the same Lats. 3 goals conceded during the last 5 minutes of the last 3 games. Not a good habit to get into. Barnsley had 3 great chances in the last 5 minutes & we were ultimately lucky that they only took 1 of them. I thought Barnsley played very well & were always dangerous on the break with Cambell-Ryce troubling our defenders time after time. We had a lot of chances but if you don't take them then you are going to suffer. Ambrose's miss was particularly poor. All in all I felt a draw was a fair result today.
  • Options
    All our chances fell to the midfield, ZZ must have had 3 good chances to score before he did, Ambrose had a couple of opportunities but did not even tak a shot, Reid hit the woodwork twice and produced a good save....Weaver made 2 good saves, they missed a sitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That Darren Ambrose is on fire at the moment. I cannot stand watching the bloke. He's even started to hide in this league now.

Our defending in the last 5 minutes was typically shambolic. Chris Powell was left exposed by Thomas, whose body language appears to think that this league is beneath him.

Bougherra really struggles clearing crosses and hardly ever gets his head to the ball.

Fair play to their gobby fans though. They sung like they were away at the Nou Camp or something and they all celebrated like they'd won the FA Cup.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]That Darren Ambrose is on fire at the moment.
    But it's not bonfire night for another month yet...
  • Options
    he would be if i had my way,what a complete let down today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It says a lot that the rugby result was more interesting than the stuff on the park.

Varney reminds me of Garry Nelson.

I'm off, am miserable again!!
  • Options
    got to say regardless of what a good result it was,singin swing lo doesn't inspire the team.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    F*cking hell, anybody reading some of the posts on here would think that we put in a terrible performance against a crap side. Not true at all. Barnsley were no mugs, good technically, caused us some problems in the first half. In the second we DOMINATED THE GAME!!! Could have easily scored three or four. In the end we got unlucky and they scored. If I was a Barnsley fan I would have been proud of my team because they fought hard, kept us at bay and then scored with their almost their first shot in the second half.

We are second in the table, with pretty much 2 points per game which is promotion form, we are unbeaten in eight league games, we have the best midfielder in the division, pace down the flanks and some quality in attack plus the best right back and one of the best keepers outside the Premiership. We have the best manager in the Division who has got excelllent tactical nous. One of our centre backs went off ill and, although his replacement played OK when he came on, it was bound to make us a little less secure. Come on lads lets try and look on the bright side.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]F*cking hell, anybody reading some of the posts on here would think that we put in a terrible performance against a crap side. Not true at all. Barnsley were no mugs, good technically, caused us some problems in the first half. In the second we DOMINATED THE GAME!!! Could have easily scored three or four. In the end we got unlucky and they scored. If I was a Barnsley fan I would have been proud of my team because they fought hard, kept us at bay and then scored with their almost their first shot in the second half.

We are second in the table, with pretty much 2 points per game which is promotion form, we are unbeaten in eight league games, we have the best midfielder in the division, pace down the flanks and some quality in attack plus the best right back and one of the best keepers outside the Premiership. We have the best manager in the Division who has got excelllent tactical nous. One of our centre backs went off ill and, although his replacement played OK when he came on, it was bound to make us a little less secure. Come on lads lets try and look on the bright side.

Agree with Bing. Came away very disappointed but credit to Barnsley who went for it at the end and could have nicked It. Their fans made some real noise. They came for a draw and they got it. Job done. Away from home against Charlton that will be seen as a good result by anyone in this league.

Fortune's illness/injury meant that Sodje came on very early so at the end when we would normally have put Sodje on to sure up the defence as they threw on their big strikers we didn't have a sub left to make. Them's the breaks.

I can't remember a recent game when we so pressurised a team as we did before we scored.

And my nephew going AWOL before the game meant my borther didn't put our bet on. ZZ to score the first goal!!!!!
  • Options
    I must have been at a different game. I thought Barnsley played in a similar way to Charlton, passing it around, using their target man as we do Iwelumo, creative players in midfield, and in the first 20 mins I dont think you could say they came for a draw. But our impressive display in the first 30 mins of the second half should have put us 2 goals clear. Ambrose was really disappointing. Sodje was quite athletic but we need to improve in putting away chances when we are on top if we are going to continue to be vulnerable at the back to the single goal. So 2 points dropped but far from a disaster.
  • Options
    spot on bing
  • Options
    was impressed by Barnsley, most organised side we've played so far IMO.

Our second half pressure, and goal meant it was definately two points dropped, and frustrating as it would of opened up a four-point gap. But it certainly wasn't daylight robbery on Barnsley's part, as they more than played a part in an entertaining game.
  • Options
    When you concede an equalising goal in the 90th minute it is always two points dropped no matter how well or poorly the team has played in the previous 89 minutes.

Teams will go for broke and punt the ball forward when they are chasing an equaliser but to have this happen three times in succession is either bad luck or it might be a sign of a greater defensive frailty or maybe just a lack of fitness/desire. More likely it's that we aren't being professional enough and aren't holding possession in the last few minutes and killing the game. No one likes seeing players taking the ball into the corners and holding it up, but sometimes you need to creatively waste time.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    BFR is spot on. Barnsley were no mugs, better than many have described and on balance possibly worth a point (which, by the reaction of their players and fans - esp that silly caarnt who peeled off his shirt and started giving the bigun to the flasks in the East stand - was what they came for) but to concede in the final minute in the way we did can only mean two points dropped.

Apart from Ambrose's contribution the thing I was most disappointed with was ZZ in front of goal. He had at least three really good chances to motor through a backing off defence and test their keeper but he seems to sh*t himself once he gets up to the pen area. His goal bailed him out a bit, he needs to back himself a lot more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]F*cking hell, anybody reading some of the posts on here would think that we put in a terrible performance against a crap side. Not true at all. Barnsley were no mugs, good technically, caused us some problems in the first half. In the second we DOMINATED THE GAME!!! Could have easily scored three or four. In the end we got unlucky and they scored. If I was a Barnsley fan I would have been proud of my team because they fought hard, kept us at bay and then scored with their almost their first shot in the second half.

Fair points but the bottom line is despite the fact that we "could have scored three or four" we didn't. We didn't kill the game when we had the chance and paid the price. For me 2 points dropped.