Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9 second goal Anniversary

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
25/10/86

Hope you lot out there realised the significance of the date whilst you were preparing for or watching the Bolton game. I knew we wouldn't lose.

I still remember it now.

One side of my crazed double personality remembers being put through by Walshy and cooly tucking it past the keeper. The part of me in reality remembers checking with my brothers if it was alright to go down the front as I couldn't see very well. I got a place right there leaning against the barrier. It was raining and I was almost getting wet as the roof only just went out far enough.There was a great atmosphere in the ground - remember Wham had a very good team back then and despite winning our previous three games it seemed a tall order. I was half thinking of my new birthday presents and as the whistle blew and I was putting on my new gloves I looked up to see jimmy jimmy jimmy jimmy scoring. Pure bliss - the glory on Monday morning with the Whams at school. Brilliant! I had a great season.

What if it's raining tomorrow and another 14 year old Charlton fan is down the front putting on his new birthday gloves in the rain who secretly believes he's a centre forward called jimmy?

Forgetting that, does anyone else have any memories of my superb historic 9 second goal?

Comments

• Options
    I only have memories of that game from the end of season video, as my parents wouldn't let me go to the game. I think it was not long after the cross channel ferry incident between West Ham and Man U fans, so they were worried there was going to be trouble. My Dad went though, and when Melrose scored after 9 seconds, leapt out of his seat, only to discover that everyone around him had stayed sitting, and this was supposed to be in the away end. He was a bit more subdued after that.

Wasn't the 9 second goal from their kick-off too?
  • Options
    Wasn't the 9 second goal from their kick-off too?

Yep, WH kicked off, and whoever it was then passed the ball back to George Parris (Parrish?) who didn't seem to be expecting it, Rob Lee I think it was intercepted and fed it through, I can't remember if Walsh had a touch on it or not but Melrose scored from the edge of the area. Then there was a slight pause before the cheering kicked in, or there was from me, was the goal offside, was it a foul kick-off..everything had happened so quickly and the West Ham players hadn't moved, so I thought there must have been a foul somewhere, before I realised it was legit.

Great day, I remember Walsh crashing a shot on to the crossbar a few minutes later before scoring, West Ham pulling a goal back before half time (Mark Ward?) and then John Pearson being put through in the second half, beating the off side trap and scoring. From my position - standing at the back of the terrace I couldn't see the goal so only knew he'd scored when he turned to celebrate. I think his only goal for Charlton in the first division after being top scorer the season before.
  • Options
    In fact that was a great month...we beat Everton 3-2 at sellout thanks to a Jimmy Melrose hatrick, beat Southampton, Leicester at the end which Lenny was given manager of the month...and then we scored just one goal in our next five matches, and that was an own goal scored by Glenn Roeder against the Barcodes.
  • Options
    Happy happy days!

I got the video for that game from West Ham. Alvin Martin was doing the co-commentary as he was out injured at the time and he had been going on about how "Charlton are likely to sit back and try to soak up the early pressure". They kick off, we score after 9 seconds and the commentator goes "well what happened there Alvin" - and the poor fella couldn't talk for aboput 5 seconds, eventually coming up with "it's hard to believe".

Main thing I remember from being at the game myself is when the copper lost his hat it it was thrown around the away end! Cracking atmosphere that day. "Charlton are back, Charlton are back, hello, hello!!!"
  • Options
    "Charlton are back, Charlton are back, hello, hello!!!"

I remember us singing that because I remember having never heard it before. Let's hope we can re-introduce it this season!

It was Walsh who intercepted not Robert Lee. Only me and Walshy touched the ball.
  • Options
    Sorry Jim, but it WAS Robert Lee. I've watched that video so many times I know it all off by heart, from Paul Goddard rubbing his stomach just before he kicks off through to Mark Aizlewood catching a ball that was on it's way through to Cottee to put him in the clear and smirking as he took his booking for saving a near certain goal.

Also, it was you who hit the bar from outside the area after about 10 minutes, not Walshie as someone psted earlier.
  • Options
    Also, it was you who hit the bar from outside the area after about 10 minutes, not Walshie as someone psted earlier.

I stand (or sit) corrected then..but I could swear it was Walsh - (left hand side of the box). But what do I know. I'd had a few beers before KO and it was 20 years ago. If you've seen the video then I bow to that, and I'll add the number of times I thought that so and so played a brilliant through ball, only to watch the highlights and realise it was actually another player suggest that I have form in identifying the wrong player so you may well be right.

But nevertheless I would put money on it being Rob Lee, not Walsh, that provided the through ball to Jimmy Melrose.
  • Options
    Yep it was Robert Lee, 100% - but it was a header not a pass. The West HAm defender tried to knock it forward, RL ran forward, stuck his nut on it and Jimmy did the rest!
  • Options
    I was right that there were only two Charlton players who touched the ball but the other was Robert Lee not Walshy - and it was with his head. Damn - and there I was having you all fooled that I'm the real jimmy. Damn, damn, damn!
  • Options
    You mean you're not? I'm disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite] jimmymelrose:[/cite]Damn - and there I was having you all fooled that I'm the real jimmy. Damn, damn, damn!

Oh no, and there was I thinking everyone on the internet was exactly who they claimed to be. Damn you for shattering my illusions!
  • Options
    ... I am Jim Melrose!
  • Options
    [cite] JWADDICK:[/cite]... I am Jim Melrose!

NO, i am jim melrose!
  • Options
    Oh! So who the 'kinell am I then?

And before any body else says it I am not Bobby Moore!
  • Options
    I'm surprised that I didn't bump this thread in 2016 because actually I have a story about 4 years ago today:

I watched the video of the match as it was the 30th anniversary of the match. As it began I had the funny idea to look up the name of the mascot and I found him on Facebook. He was amazed that I had the video and he said that he'd never seen it.
    So I sent him the clip of him as mascot before the match.
    He replied saying: 'on that clip of me running off the pitch I was running up the tunnel where my dad met me, no longer with me and brought a tear watching that'
    ' I recorded the clips you put on and posted them up on my wall , they came out alright. 
    You have legendary status now with my friends and family. I still can't believe it to be honest.'

I can't believe that I never posted that on here but mostly that that was four years ago already.

34 years today since the big day.

Ooh jimmy Jimmy
     Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Melrose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    My favourite away kit of all time as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJ8jsiSvyk
  • Options
    What a day that was. Walsh scored a cracking curler to make it 3. Up until the season before this one when we got promoted, we were woeful away from home. We’d already won at Old Trafford that season and days like this were what we’d always dreamed about. 
  • Options
    I played this video to death. I’ve no idea where it is now. Wish I still had it. James Milsop Melrose will always be my ultimate footballing hero. 
  • Options
    What a day that was. Walsh scored a cracking curler to make it 3. Up until the season before this one when we got promoted, we were woeful away from home. We’d already won at Old Trafford that season and days like this were what we’d always dreamed about. 
    I thought John Pearson scored the 3 and took an eternity to get the ball under before he Tucked it home 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my defence, I can barely remember what I had for breakfast let alone what happened 34 years ago
  • Options
    I do have some recollection of this match, I think. I was at uni at the time and sometimes did a day return coach trip to London for games. I believe we got tickets in the main stand and this goal outed us as not being WHU! I know my dad was there as that evening he went to a "do" where he met my step mum. @Mr_Dick can corroborate, I believe?
  • Options
    I thought John Pearson scored the 3 and took an eternity to get the ball under before he Tucked it home 
    Walshy got the second. Pearson the third down our end in the second half. 
  • Options
    I went to that game. It was really enjoyable from start to finish.
  • Options
    I've posted this before but maybe worth repeating.  I wasn't at the game but it actually kicked off marginally before 3:00pm.  Me, a West Ham supporting mate and no doubt many others had set up teletext (yes, remember that!) to watch the scores come through.  And there at 2:59pm came up the Charlton goal. It seemed like it just must have been a glitch in the system.
  • Options
    I went to that game. It was really enjoyable from start to finish.
    The first 8 seconds were a bit boring.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    My favourite Charlton goal of all time. Was in my last year at school and went with my best school friend a West Ham fan. We both went in our own and met afterwards. 
    He was very Confident they wouldn’t lose and I will always remember him saying he put his Walkman  headphones away looked up and Melrose Was clean through.
    I seem to recall Walsh hit the bar after a couple of minutes as well. 
    I had a copy of the West match Highlights video And watched it endlessly. Alvin Martin Was co commentator and was asked about Melrose’s goal and there was almost silence all you could hear was Martin breathing heavily. 
    Happy times 
  • Options
    Was living in Scotland at the time. Came down for the weekend as I had a job interview on the Monday. Took this game in...we were hanging on till Pearson got the 3rd.