Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 28th October 1978. Millwall 0 Charlton 2

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 28th october 1978. Millwall 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Shaw 11, Shipperley 47) The Den. Att 10,094

Millwall: Cuff, Donaldson, Gregory, Mehmet, Kitchener, Tagg, Towner, Pearson (McKenna 67), Seasman, Walker, Hamilton.

Charlton: Wood, Shaw, Campbell, Tydeman, Shipperley, Berry, Brisley, Robinson, Flanagan, Madden, Gritt. Unused sub: Peacock.

Referee: B J Homewood (Sunbury-on-Thames)

Rare victory: Charlton's first victory at The Den for 43 years.

Comments

• I do remember giving it to the millwall supporting shop owner who I did a paper round for. I think this victory was a longer time waiting and I believe it was a long time before another. I think the one at Upton Park was the next?
  • I stood on the covered terrace on the side of the pitch with my spanner supporting mate. I forget who were meant to patrol that area, may have been F-troop or Treatment maybe? Mate gave me a dig in the ribs when we scored our goals and I got a few funny looks, but then that's not unusual....
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]I do remember giving it to the millwall supporting shop owner who I did a paper round for. I think this victory was a longer time waiting and I believe it was a long time before another. I think the one at Upton Park was the next?

I remember us beating them 3-1 (I think) at the Valley before Upton Park. I didn't go to this game, I'm struggling to remember anything about it. I note that in the Millwall team that day were: Dave Mehmet and Phil Walker soon to be wearing red and white.

What does surprise me is the gate which is very low for Charlton/Millwall matches.
  • I was at the game, don't remember a lot about it. Stood in away end with my old man. I do remember that Terry Brisley got a warm welcome intially but soon turned sour.

Did Towner play for us or am I losing it?
  • first season I started going, I can't remember but I'm 99.9% sure my Dad wouldn't have taken me to that one...
  • [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]I was at the game, don't remember a lot about it. Stood in away end with my old man. I do remember that Terry Brisley got a warm welcome intially but soon turned sour.

Did Towner play for us or am I losing it?

Yes I was thinking that when I did my post, I had a vague recollection that he did for a short time. No doubt somebody will confirm this.
  • i think we signed a tony towner from leeds or wolves ... remember the song tony , tony towner tony towner on the wing just like the yids tony tony galvin song
  • I reckon I probably did go to this match with my Dad, but can't really remember it - strange - must have been due to the suppression of joy required to get away from the ground safely! I do remember another one around this time - maybe even the season before - where we were leading but they equalised in the last few minutes.
  • I was unsighted for the second goal, and I'm sure the first was offside
  • Hi again all. Yep, Towner did go on to wear a Charlton shirt, though whether he ever actually "played" for us is open to conjecture! He apparently helped Ronnie Moore tear us apart for Rotherham (5-1) at The Valley while I was stuck working in a bloody supermarket, but then went on to do sweet FA for us. In terms of commitment and aggression, he made Jerome Thomas look like Stuart Pearce.
    I just remember being genuinely scared, standing in the CBL (don't ask), convinced they could all tell how smug I was feeling. Another stray Addick was spotted and goaded by some teenage tosser who found himself slammed against the corrugated iron along the back by a huge Lion in a GLC donkey jacket and told to grow up and behave himself. Just for a moment, they seemed human - then Big Ship sealed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bumped for the oldies.
  • I was there, got sussed by some Millwall in The Ilderton Road end, got offered out by a mob of them so my ginger haired mate spanked one of them and we ran off and stood next to a copper.

Happy days!
  • edited October 2010
    I was 12 at the time and went with a Neighbour . Although in the CBL I discreetly cheered our goals.

Find the discussion interesting Towner actually was playing for Millwall that day. Some of the players that joined us from there around this time seemed to have played well against us , I remember in particular Brisley and Walker tearing us apart at the Valley.

To my memory our other win against the Lions in the 70's happened at the Valley either the previous season or the one before and it was 3-2 not 3-1.
  • wow millwall thread and Groucho nor sparrow not posted within first hour whats the world coming to!
  • Post was 3 years ago fella, wasn't looking at this board then otherwise I would've obviously jumped on it :-)

All before my time sadly as well. Some well known names and legends in the line ups, Kitchener being ours, and I would've liked to have seen Walker play, heard he was very good.

And there is another huge Millwall legend, if my eyes are right, is that Harry Cripps on the far right of the picture as a coach?
  • That is Cripps , he was Nelson's number 2 at the time. I vaguely remember that he still turned out for the Reserves also around that time .
    I felt Cripps was badly treated by Charlton as Nelson ( who was also a coach at Millwall )sacked him the following season after a poor start.

I seem to remember Benny Fenton returned to the Valley as our Secretary around this time.Nicky Johns also joined us that season.

In my opinion Walker was good but better for the Lions than the Addicks , at one stage I thought he might have played for England . His time with us was ruined by injury although he did have his moments especially in the 80/81 promotion team the last time we were in the third.
  • You're right about Walker.His career never took off with us.Not for want of trying but he must have had a long term injury.Charlton had paid a lot of money for him.
  • one of my earliest memories at the Valley was being on the east terrace and somebody shouting out 'Walker by name, Walker by nature' - i would only have been about 9 years old but that always stuck.
  • I was 12 at this game and got the 21 bus i think back to Eltham,was a ruck on the bus!
  • Tony Towner ended up playing for my (then) local non-league club in around 1987, he must have been mid-30s but he was several notches above them technique wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who was that oakster, sure I remember him at belvedere or cary or somewhere local. Remember terry naylor (I think???) playing sunday football for belvedere for a while for a few quid, how times have changed.
  • Who was that oakster, sure I remember him at belvedere or cary or somewhere local. Remember terry naylor (I think???) playing sunday football for belvedere for a while for a few quid, how times have changed. Never made this game, but was at the one the year after (or before??) When we lost 2-0, I found out that day it wasn't wise to wear your colours to a game in the 70's/80's..
  • edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Who was that oakster, sure I remember him at belvedere or cary or somewhere local. Remember terry naylor (I think???) playing sunday football for belvedere for a while for a few quid, how times have changed.

Saltdean United - near Brighton. Sussex County League - probably Div3 at the time - a very poor standard - although they went on a bit of a run & ended up in the top tier a few years later. They did produce Paul Ifill a few years later.

Here he is!
  • He was brilliant when Rotheram beat us 5 1 at the Valley.Ronnie Moore scoring 4.That led to to us fans collecting money to help the club buy Ronnie Moore.Towner came with Moore.The day Rotheram beat us 5 1 Towner tormented our left full back.I think it was Mark Aizlewood who used to get a lot of stick from our supporters then.
    Towner wasnt the same player for us and even Ronnie Moore ended up playing centre half.
  • I was at that Millwall game, but basically stood quietly on their terrace opposite their main stand and enjoyed the (rare) win unobtrusively.
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Who was that oakster, sure I remember him at belvedere or cary or somewhere local. Remember terry naylor (I think???) playing sunday football for belvedere for a while for a few quid, how times have changed.

Terry Naylor ran the pickwick in the mid 80's.
  • Stood in the corner of the c,b,lane end of the ground and when Charlton scored it seemed every other person around me was a Charlton fan.Peter Shaw and Mike Flanagan made my day.Turn the clock back to when we lost 3-2 at the Den in the late 60s and i got a black eye for cheering a Charlton goal what a differance afew years made,the lions had been tamed and not just the fans.HAPPY DAYS.
  • I was 13. Stood on the halfway line with my two older brothers and a mate. Daren't cheer when we scored.
  • Was it only me and my old man in the away end??
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]That is Cripps , he was Nelson's number 2 at the time. I vaguely remember that he still turned out for the Reserves also around that time .
    I felt Cripps was badly treated by Charlton as Nelson ( who was also a coach at Millwall )sacked him the following season after a poor start.

I seem to remember Benny Fenton returned to the Valley as our Secretary around this time.Nicky Johns also joined us that season.

In my opinion Walker was good but better for the Lions than the Addicks , at one stage I thought he might have played for England . His time with us was ruined by injury although he did have his moments especially in the 80/81 promotion team the last time we were in the third.

Cheers for the reply. May be better in a different thread, but over the years it seems there's been quite a few players who have represented both clubs, I wonder who has done better out of the two? I suspect you've generally poached more of our better players than we have from you.

Similarly with palace, they've taken Roberts, Armstrong, Lawrence, etc we've got Bowry & Newman in return!!