Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 28th October 1978. Millwall 0 Charlton 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ronnie Moore came in 83-84. Tony Towner came in 84-85 after a bit of a saga. He was included in the team photo pre-season but the deal fell through and he went back to Wolves. He finally arrived some weeks later for about £15k. He wasn't good at all but did score two goals...home to Portsmouth (jink and low shot) and an early far-post header v Leeds at home. Didn't think we'd ever get a header out of him....I can't think of a smaller player to play for us(?) He did also do a nice far post cross for Flannagan to head in away at Sheff U.
  • Options
    Jingle Bells......
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/10536046316

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    Was at this game with my Dad in their main stand.
    Can't remember if I cheered when we scored, but have to presume I didn't as I'm still have all my own teeth.
  • Options

i think we signed a tony towner from leeds or wolves ... remember the song tony , tony towner tony towner on the wing just like the yids tony tony galvin song

Wolves I believe
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Posted By: Richard J
    That is Cripps , he was Nelson's number 2 at the time. I vaguely remember that he still turned out for the Reserves also around that time .
    I felt Cripps was badly treated by Charlton as Nelson ( who was also a coach at Millwall )sacked him the following season after a poor start.

I seem to remember Benny Fenton returned to the Valley as our Secretary around this time.Nicky Johns also joined us that season.

In my opinion Walker was good but better for the Lions than the Addicks , at one stage I thought he might have played for England . His time with us was ruined by injury although he did have his moments especially in the 80/81 promotion team the last time we were in the third.
    Cheers for the reply. May be better in a different thread, but over the years it seems there's been quite a few players who have represented both clubs, I wonder who has done better out of the two? I suspect you've generally poached more of our better players than we have from you.

Similarly with palace, they've taken Roberts, Armstrong, Lawrence, etc we've got Bowry & Newman in return!!

I've always felt most mutual Charlton / Millwall players have been better for you than us in that era ,Nicky Johns being the only exception.The likes of Cripps,Brisley,Dunphy,Hazell,Mehmet,Towner and Walker were all better for you than us.

• Options
    I sat in the main home stand alongside two Millwall supporting friends. I was very quiet but very very very smug.
  • Options
    My first visit to The Den.

Don't remember the game that vividly apart from Tydeman being immense. Was stuck in the away corner and couldn't believe the amount of fencing and neutral areas around us. This wasn't long after the Panorama programme on them.

I was quite young and a bit lairy inside the ground, but just tried to look depressed walking out. Remember it kicking off on the bus of all places.

Brisley was already ex Millwall and Mehmet, Walker and Towner went on to play for us.

• Options
    Missed this one but went a couple of seasons later when we drew 1-1 after Flanagan had put us ahead before half time. Ridiculous penalty given against Warman for hand ball cost us the win.

Kept very quiet on the half way line throughout. Whilst in the queue at the bus stop outside New Cross Gate station this skinhead appeared and headbutted me and called me a Charlton C...! Have no idea how he knew I was Charlton, but to save myself and to my eternal shame, I replied that I wasn't Charlton. He stared at me and then walked off.
  • Options
    Was not allowed to go to this one as my parents knew what Millwall were all about , first Millwall away was the 0.2 defeat in 1980-81 season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    40 years ago this Sunday.
  • Options

40 years ago this Sunday.

Thanks for making me feel old……….

Footnote…..I have seen every win that Charlton have had against Millwall in my lifetime so far ,but have not been to one of these matches in over 20years,
    So for all you young ones your time will come .Enjoy it when it comes round again.