Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

if dowie had stayed ...

Comments

• Options
    Curbs managed to get that poor squad to finish mid table. Dowie spent 13m on it and made it even worse
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]Curbs managed to get that poor squad to finish mid table. Dowie spent 13m on it and made it even worse

The squad at the end of the season wasn't the same one that started the season.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]The squad at the end of the season wasn't the same one that started the season.

Agreed, but I can't help but think if Curbs had stayed and been given the £13m instead, he'd have used it better and kept us in the Prem.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]We don't need to re-heat the Curbs debate yet again do we?

Curbs was a great manager, but over the last two years of his reign it was clear that he needed a new challenge, while the club needed a different manager. A mistake was made by bringing in Dowie and that was compounded by promoting Reed. Those debates are done with. I don't think we'd be better off with Dowie, even though he should have had more time last season and I don't think we'd be better off with Curbs either, be patient.

Be patient?

When do you expect this amazing turn around to start then? Considering you wrote that 1 year ago.
  • Options
    I just want to disagree that Curbs left a mid-table squad - he left us with his weakest ever sqaud and one that was well into relegation freefall, we will never know but I thought things had got so bad we would've gone down if he had stayed. I am glad he chose to leave when he did, would have been even gladder if he had left 12 months earlier. Dowie is a joke.
  • Options
    At keast we failed to beat the keper last night, Swansea didn't have a keeper for most of the match but QPR still didn't score!
  • Options
    they played with rush-goalies?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Their keeper, Adriano Basso, played for 2 years at Woking before moving to Bristol City. Just goes to show that there is some decent talent still to be found in non-league football. Now, why don't we go & buy a couple of non-league strikers?!
  • Options
    I think there's an outside chance if Dowie had stayed we might be in 19th position now rather than 20th. And what about Uncle Les ? If he was still in charge, who's to say that we might even today be luxuriating in the giddying heights of 18th ?

Seriously, it's hard to see how either of them could have reduced us any lower than we sit today ...
  • Options
    No way would Dowie have had us at this low.Pardew has just been a disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alan Partridge could've done better than Alan Pardew!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite]No way would Dowie have had us at this low.Pardew has just been a disaster.

I'm not so sure.

Christ have we had some cack managers in the last couple of years.
  • Options
    There is no way of knowing what would have happened.

His record is not very good and actually is a lot worse than Pardew's. He got Palarse relegated and then failed to get them up. He left us when we were bottom of the Prem, he went to Cov and got the sack, then he went to QPR then got the sack so his record is crap apart from one season for Palarse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite]No way would Dowie have had us at this low.Pardew has just been a disaster.

yeah but pardews got a great personality and speaks a lot and he'll have us playing attractive football before too long and don't forget it was dowie and curbishleys crap squad/team that took us down to this exciting league and the thrill a minute matches.... i mean it's more exciting losing 3-1 at home to barnsley than losing 4-3 at old trafford or beating arsenal 2-1 at home
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]There is no way of knowing what would have happened.

His record is not very good and actually is a lot worse than Pardew's. He got Palarse relegated and then failed to get them up. He left us when we were bottom of the Prem, he went to Cov and got the sack, then he went to QPR then got the sack so his record is crap apart from one season for Palarse.

You fail to mention that he got Palace promoted to the premier league in the first place. As Coventry boss i didn't think he did too badly and he even got them a win at Old Trafford in the cup. And at QPR he won 8 out of 15 games and didn't he only go cos he refused to let Briatore pick the team?
    That said i agree that he was sh*t for us.
  • Options
    Well my last sentence was meant to cover that where I said "apart fro one season for Palarse", because we all know he got them up. The point was that was it. - Since then he's been a disaster.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Well my last sentence was meant to cover that where I said "apart fro one season for Palarse", because we all know he got them up. The point was that was it. - Since then he's been a disaster.

i actually don't think he has been given the time to be what i would call a DISASTER at any of his jobs !!..... as for alan pardew, well let me think..............................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i actually don't think he has been given the time to be what i would call a DISASTER at any of his jobs !!..... as for alan pardew, well let me think..............................

No but Murray, the Cov Board, the Squillonaires at QPR though he was so bad that they didn't keep him for even half a season. That makes him a disaster waiting to happen in my book.
  • Options
    If Dowie had stayed he would have been sacked four times by now.
    Oh, hang on, er..
  • Options
    so how has pardew been allowed to get away with it for so long?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i actually don't think he has been given the time to be what i would call a DISASTER at any of his jobs !!..... as for alan pardew, well let me think..............................[/quote]

No but Murray, the Cov Board, the Squillonaires at QPR though he was so bad that they didn't keep him for even half a season. That makes him a disaster waiting to happen in my book.[/quote]

In fairness, someone posted his record at QPR on here and it was pretty good.
  • Options
    we should've kept dowie we'd be at least 21st in this league now , of that i'm sure ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i actually don't think he has been given the time to be what i would call a DISASTER at any of his jobs !!..... as for alan pardew, well let me think..............................

No but Murray, the Cov Board, the Squillonaires at QPR though he was so bad that they didn't keep him for even half a season. That makes him a disaster waiting to happen in my book.

In fairness, someone posted his record at QPR on here and it was pretty good.

Maybe the problem with him is as much off the pitch as on it.
  • Options
    For heavens sake, can't people accept that the things he did were sackable offences?
  • Options
    what were those things?
  • Options
    Ooh Aah, when did we ever lose 4-3 at Old Trafford?

Can't remember that one??

In fact I can't ever remember us scoring more than one at Old Trafford in a game?
    And that was the exception rather than the rule, non?

anyone?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]For heavens sake, can't people accept that the things he did were sackable offences?

i seem to have missed it,but what were those things?
  • Options
    The club will probably never fully disclose why it dispensed with Mr Dowie’s services. There are however facts for all to see. Palace pursued litigation against Dowie and the club. The court found us not guilty of any wrongdoing. The court found in favour of Palace against Mr Dowie. The case revealed details of Mr Dowie’s actions during his departure from Palace.

I SPECULATE in preparing for the case the club & its legal team will have discussed matters in dispute in detail. I further SPECULATE if legal opinion indicated the club had cause for concern it felt it had to act re Dowie’s employment.

What remedy do you think Palace will have sought if Dowie were still at the club? Any judgment for Palace against Dowie I suspect would mean him being held to his Palace contract and put on gardening leave (as per Mr Bruce) leaving us without a manager. Mr Jordan, it appears, is no fool.

It will have been and still is inappropriate for the club to make any announcements re the litigation against Dowie before, during and after the court case.

All of this leaves the club relatively blameless though why they chose to multiply the challenge of replacing Curbishley by imposing a coaching structure (nobody at the club or even in UK football had seen work successfully) and coaches (subsequently augmented by Dowie’s entourage) on prospective candidates pursuing the job only they can answer.

In terms of Dowie’s managerial prowess he had good credentials when he joined us. In football terms alone Dowie may well have progressed though some his signings suggest otherwise. Sadly it seems he placed himself and us in a set of circumstances that prevented us all from finding out.

Grapevine 49
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Ooh Aah, when did we ever lose 4-3 at Old Trafford?

Can't remember that one??

In fact I can't ever remember us scoring more than one at Old Trafford in a game?
    And that was the exception rather than the rule, non?

anyone?

i think oohaah was comparing that the same weekend as we lost 1-3 to barnsley, hull lost 4-3 at man u and stoke beat arsenal 2-1.
  • Options
    correct PBS