Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Having just watched the QPR game on tele...

Comments

• Again, with Paddy he has only had a handful (if that) of games to settle into an unsettled side. Let's be fair to the bloke he doesn't have the greatest turn of pace ever seen but neither do a lot of centre halves at this level.

He was christened McCarhorse after about three games for crying out loud.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]

i may be wrong but not a lot of people on here (me included) were calling to give him time ala mcloed.
  • I know I said I wouldn't post on here again until we won, but couldm't help reading the previous postings and thought I would add my twopenoth.......

Although the 3 remaining strikers are v good at present I still prefer then over Marcus anyday. He has shown last season that he is totally disinterested and no matter how many he may score for Wigan (and even Nobby Salano wouldn't have missed his second yesterday)I don't want him back.

As for Mcloed......pace is his main asset and has already won us 4 penalties this season - when was the last time we could boast that ! - A few more games will help, but booing him won't change the fact that he is probbaly out of his depth. Varney is probably the best of the 3 and has shown that he is willing to run and shoot.......just need a bit of luck for once !

As for the defence......McCarthy played well v Palarse and should be given another go. Once a left back is fit I would play Mills at centre half at moo2kil at r/back.

I can't beleive the knockers on here..........obviusly havn't been watching us too long as I can remeber season after season of leaburn/grant with Brendan O'connell filling in the "hole".....after that I can stand anything.
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]

i may be wrong but not a lot of people on here (me included) were calling to give him time ala mcloed.

I'd probably agree with Carter, McCarthy has had 4 starts and 1 sub appearence and it's not like the defence has been rock solid without him but that's another issue. I also recall that he had a great game against palace.

The main difference between McCarthy and McCleod is that McCleod was playing league 2 football last season and has stepped up a couple of levels. McCarthy also had a full preseason with us whereas McCleod didn't.
  • ok let's put it this way,it's not McCleods fault Pardew bought him and paid over a million for him but,I personally don't think he is good enough for this level.Sorry Carter but some of us are old enought to remember Andy Jones who scored for fun at Port Vale but couldn't cut it at a higher level.Maybe we are being harsh on him as Pards spent the money,but that I'm afraid this is my opinion.There have been many players who scored for fun in the old 4th division.2 years ago Lee Steele and Gary Alexander were scoring shite loads for Orient now they are playing for Chester City and Millwall respectively.Just because you were division 3 top goalscorer last season doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be a success at Championship level.Personally I think Pards should have gone for proven goalscorers at this level,the money we spent on Izale could have got us Ricardo Fuller plus one other and that's what will get you out of this division,you are not obliged to keep them if they get you up.Take Malky McKay for example he got Norwich,West Ham and Watford promoted but not one of them played him in the Premiership,he did what he was bought for and I think we should have been looking for similar players.
  • Fair enough NSS. I just can't see how you can judge whether someone will be good enough on the basis of 1 start and a handful of sub appearences.

You're entitled to your view and you may well be proven right until then, we'll have to agree to disagree.
  • thats what this site is all about m8,I truly hope he does prove me wrong as it will be to Charlton's benefit.
  • [cite]Posted By: fazza[/cite]i think you'll find its less than 5 times that ooohaa...
    you were right fazza, just watched it and for the 24 minutes izale was on the field, 21 of them we were chasing the game, he touched the ball twice and one of them was when he took a throw on ffs!!
    during the same period varney touched the ball 4 times which shows how bad we were when we got to the final third.
  • can't really blame him, if all we were doing was lumping the ball up to Chris...

good chasing down by qpr, but it'll be nice to get ball into feet like zz plays it. i thought we could have won that game easily if we played just a touch differently.

i'm not gonna harp on about it too much, but lets hope they learn from this game.
  • I didn't go on Saturday and couldn't bring myself to watch the Sky + recording. From what I have read from those who did go, Iwelumo was ineffective. He certainly was pretty useless against Plymouth and Wolves as well. It is the classic problem with the big lump which is that if their big lump is bigger, it negates his effectiveness. What is worse is that lumping it up to him as a default opinion becomes the only option. What is made worse is that Varney is off form as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• As has been said before, I'm sure, Iwelumo plays a bit like our old cult hero Carl Leaburn.

Both leggy and about the same height, neither could effectively leap to head the ball but did use their height advantage.

The major strength of Leaburn was to hold the ball up well, with no lack of skill on the floor, and lay off to a team mate.
    Iwelumo is in the same mould - and his asset is his floor play.

His goals against Sheff Wed & Hull show that he has a good touch on the ball, with his feet.
    Instead of hoofing it up high, why don't we play to Iwelumo's true ability - on the floor?

It would certainly suit our passing game.
  • Completely spot on Oggy. How people imagine he is going to trap a ball aimed at his forehead is quite beyond me. We need to get the ball down.
  • I recorded it saturday, on the understanding I would watch it on my return with my grandson, who got a bit upset when I left for the Valley without him, so after watching that performance you can imagine how much I was looking forward to watching it again, but true to my word, I braced myself for another 90 minutes of torture, only to find he had misbehaved and his punishment was 10 minutes on the good old "naughty step" on the understanding we didnt have a repeat performance, he was allowed to watch it, after the first 15 minutes he was getting a bit restless, and I got up to go to the beer fridge on my return he was gone, only to be found, sitting "on the naughty step" it just about summed it up for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I recorded it saturday, on the understanding I would watch it on my return with my grandson, who got a bit upset when I left for the Valley without him, so after watching that performance you can imagine how much I was looking forward to watching it again, but true to my word, I braced myself for another 90 minutes of torture, only to find he had misbehaved and his punishment was 10 minutes on the good old "naughty step" on the understanding we didnt have a repeat performance, he was allowed to watch it, after the first 15 minutes he was getting a bit restless, and I got up to go to the beer fridge on my return he was gone, only to be found, sitting "on the naughty step" it just about summed it up for me.

Now that is funny!!
  • Coming in a bit late here, but it's amazing how time clouds people's memories-no one judged Marcus Bent based on his off the pitch stuff. They judged him on the fact that, in two seasons for us, he spent more time feigning injuries and sulking round than he did making any effort-he's a lazy waste of space and he'd be getting more stick than anyone if he was still in the team.

At least Iwelumo and Varney put in 110%-they may not be the most talented but give me them over Bent all day.
  • Well said HandG
  • .....anyone can give 110%, sadly we need a bit more than just effort !
  • [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]Coming in a bit late here, but it's amazing how time clouds people's memories-no one judged Marcus Bent based on his off the pitch stuff. They judged him on the fact that, in two seasons for us, he spent more time feigning injuries and sulking round than he did making any effort-he's a lazy waste of space and he'd be getting more stick than anyone if he was still in the team.

At least Iwelumo and Varney put in 110%-they may not be the most talented but give me them over Bent all day.

absolutely HandG!
  • [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite].....anyone can give 110%, sadly we need a bit more than just effort !
    exactly, everyone on here would give 200% but we're not good enough!!!
  • If you pick out a thread from last season you will find a lot of post defeat comments such as, 'I can handle getting beat but not lack of effort'.

Have we decided that talented losers are preferable then to the grafters we have now then?
  • Sponsored links:

• i'd rather have marcus bent playing with his half hearted attitude over 100% mcClown cos imo he's a better player even without the effort ... all we want is the best players if a 75% player is better than a 100% player then give me the 75% player... in an ideal world everyone would play to their max
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'd rather have marcus bent playing with his half hearted attitude over 100% mcClown

Well i wouldn't, and for a nice, intelligent guy, you don't arf spout some crap
  • unbelievable
  • I'm trying to imagine players who give 110% effort or even 200%.

200% - that must be about twice what they're actually capable of ?

;o)
  • oohaah has certainly changed his view on Marcus since the beginning of the year

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3112&page=1#Item_25

'surely that means he should hold on to the ball for a bit till he get's some support up with him, i can't remember him touching the ball more than once at a time, he was trying to release it first touch every time, i think he's stupid'

'i don't care how s**t or unfit they actually are they should be putting their bodies on the line for the cause and walking off the pitch at the end of a match totally f**ked rather than strolling off like they're not bothered'

'ultimately hard work wont keep us up but goals might, so b4 this athlete get's too much praise let's see some goals from him.. i mean a lone striker up front who doesn't score'
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I'm trying to imagine players who give 110% effort or even 200%.

200% - that must be about twice what they're actually capable of ?

;o)
    you know what i mean;-)

[cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'd rather have marcus bent playing with his half hearted attitude over 100% mcClown

Well i wouldn't, and for a nice, intelligent guy, you don't arf spout some crap

seriously, surely you'd prefer the better player for the good of the team ?? meaning a 75% bent is better than a 100% Mr X or me.... ok psychologically it might damage the team not having a tryer but mr.hales didn't work his nuts off but got results
  • no, i find it hard enough to relate to players at all nowadays, let alone those that don't give 100%. If i simply wanted to see the best players available, i would support Arsenal.

Your Charlton experience has clearly changed for you other the years. When you started going with your mates, Charlton wouldn't of been a good team, and would of been a club in decline, yet i bet they were your fondest days following them.
    Charlton are never going to scale the heights you seem to demand and expect. You appear to have fallen out of love with it all, which does happen, but whilst doing so you're coming across as one of those grumpy old men that simply moan about everything. Some of it is fair and justified, but when its constantly knocking your own, whether it be the club, players, manager or fans, it gets tiresome and helps spreads negativity.
  • i really don't know how we got on the subject of 50%,75% or 100% efforts...

In my original comments, I was just stating that Bent at least tried to get the ball down a couple of times... He may well be a half can't be arsed player in some peoples opinion.... thats by the by really.

I was slating the tactic of high balls into big Chris and his ability/awareness to keep nodding them on - when unchallenged - to no one in particular, or missing it completely.
    However much ability a player has, if he has a bit of space,...then lay the ball to his feet. OR, he should be able to take a quick look and control the thing.

IMO - Bent was able to do that more competently. Reagardlesss of his off the field antics, or other traits that you guys are slating him for.
  • Back to T.C.E.'s post (whch really made me laugh) should we have a Charlton Life naughty step? Off you go, Oohaah!
  • sorry Fazza, we've gone off subject.

OK, this is proving that you can reqrite history. Because just six months ago he was arguably the most hated man ever to wear our shirt. Its amazing what people forget in their search for change.

What was Bent's scoring record for Charlton ?