Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Suck on that Curbishley

Nolan in the last minute!!!

LOL

Your beloved Hammers look very poor indeed.

Comments

• Options
    Move on, we don't need to mug him off.

He is a big big part of our history, hasn't said a bad word about us ( i don't think) so why should we find any interest in this, yet alone decide to post like this.

( just my opinion )
  • Options
    I bet he is well happy with Etherington. Two chances to keep the ball in the corner in the dying minutes and he gives it away.

Anyone see the Sunday Times' preview of their game today? Says something about him getting "abuse" from our fans - and West Ham's - when he came back to The Valley last year. Amazing how you can put a slant on things when you're a journo. My recollection is that he got a very good reception.

Will try and find a link for the article and put it up here.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/west_ham/article2800586.ece
  • Options
    absolute crap that we were abusing him at the west ham match .

I do hope he was either misquoted or quoted out of context because that really is not the truth at all
  • Options

Yeah read that last paragraph people then think about what he's saying . He's a MUG
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

Yeah read that last paragraph people then think about what he's saying . He's a MUG

Just read that.....

I just think that he doesnt rate us..... and for someone who got us to where we are today, and we all know he did that for us, I find it surprising.... but strangely not so....... cant explain it, its almost like hes always looked down on us.....
  • Options
    If I had met him on the M6 on the way back from Bolton towards the end of his reign after witnessing a 4-1 defeat with 200 fellow Addicks I probably wouldnt have been as polite as that Hamster.

As waste of days go that was right up there.

At the end of the day though, like Pardew, he is saying what his public want to hear.
  • Options
    I don't want to mug him off and he did give us so much but that Times quote is bang out of order.
  • Options
    Can anyone paste the relevant bit into a post? My stupid firewall won't let me look at it.
  • Options
    “As a player, I came up through the ranks and had five years here, but I never really appreciated the size of the club and what it means to the community. The past 11 months have been an eye-opener. I’ll give you an example. Halfway through our bad run last season, I stopped at a garage and this guy came up and said, ‘We’re in the shit, aren’t we?’ When I agreed, he thrust his face right into mine and snarled, ‘f****** sort it out, then’. If it had been Charlton, the guy would have said: ‘We’re in a bit of bother, aren’t we?’, I’d have said, ‘Yeah’, and he’d have gone, ‘Don’t worry, we’ll be all right’. That’s some difference
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There you go.

From The Sunday TimesNovember 4, 2007

Curbishley patches up his troops
    Escape artist Alan Curbishley continues West Ham’s revival mission against Bolton todayJoe Lovejoy
    In April 2006, Alan Curbishley was interviewed for England’s managerial vacancy before the Football Association made the mistake of appointing Steve McClaren. Today, when the job may soon be up for grabs again, Curbishley is off the radar, which seems a tad unfair. What has happened in the past 18 months to undermine his renewed candidacy? Bad luck and ill feeling, for the most part. After taking charge at West Ham United midway through last season, he averted relegation with a dramatic revival, but he was denied due credit because of what became known as the “Tevez Affair” involving the signing of the Argentina striker Carlos Tevez.

After major reconstruction in the summer, West Ham were expected to be stronger, but their progress has been hampered by a spate of injuries that sees them take on Bolton at Upton Park today without up to 12 members of the first-team squad. In the circumstances, a mid-table position and a place in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup is a decent start to Curbishley’s first full season.

After the Great Escape last May, he splashed out £30m on Scott Parker, Julien Faubert, Craig Bellamy, Freddie Ljungberg and Kieron Dyer, all hors de combat virtually ever since. And the players he signed during the January transfer window (Luis Boa Morte, Nigel Quashie, Calum Davenport, Lucas Neill and Matthew Upson) have been absentees, as have Dean Ashton, Bobby Zamora, Lee Bowyer, Nolberto Solano and Henri Camara. They were joined by Hayden Mullins, Mark Noble and Anton Ferdinand at Coventry on Tuesday night.

“The sequence has been incredible, starting last season,” Curbishley said. “We signed Neill, who got injured on his debut, as did Upson. We signed Quashie, who got injured after eight games and is still out. Faubert ruptured an Achilles in preseason and hasn’t played a game. We’ve hardly had Parker or Dyer, who broke a leg after three games, and Bellamy has never been injury-free and is out again.”

Multimedia
    Premier League highlights
    Ahead of the game email

Multimedia
    TheGame: online and kicking
    Fanzine fanzone - your say

Related Links
    Fitness regime is helping Cole to shine
    Speed still has role to play at Bolton
    In analysing Curbishley’s work to date, it is necessary to consider where he started, 11 months ago, with a team in the relegation places after five defeats in six league games. “I was under no illusions,” he said. “We had 14 points from 17 games, so we needed another 26 from 21 games, which doesn’t sound a lot, but when you’re in trouble, it is. In my first two matches we beat Manchester United and drew at Fulham and I thought, ‘Blimey, this is better than it looked’.” But home defeats by Portsmouth and Manchester City were followed by a 6-0 thrashing at Reading.

“That was the start of a run when we didn’t win in 10 [Premier League matches], and there were three really awful performances against Reading, and Watford and Charlton, two of our relegation rivals, in successive weeks,” he said. “There was a disease in the dressing room. The players were destroying themselves and the club. They were blaming each other, blaming me, blaming everybody instead of getting on with it.” The nadir came at Charlton, where West Ham were trounced 4-0 and Curbishley, returning to his old club, was abused by both sets of supporters.

“That was rock bottom as far as I was concerned,” he said. “After the send-off Charlton had given me, when 26,000 gave me a standing ovation, I was getting slagged off by the same people and the West Ham lot too. It was horrible.” It didn’t seem like it at the time, but the tide started to turn in the next game, a defeat by Tottenham.

Curbishley recalled: “We raced into a 2-0 lead. They pegged us back to 2-2, then we went 3-2 up with five minutes to go, but still lost 4-3. We came away from that one dead and buried with nine games left, but that match lit a spark and the place was galvanised. We regrouped, with Tevez the focal point. The fans loved him and the other players were all up for it. We then went to Blackburn and got our only piece of luck. We went a goal down, equalised when Tevez got a penalty, then Bobby Zamora’s shot hit Tevez and didn’t cross the line. It definitely stayed out, but the goal was given and we won 2-1. We never looked back.

“The interesting thing is that of the team that saw us through the run-in, there was only one player I’d signed, Neill. Apart from Lucas, it was the team that went 10 without winning and had lost 11 before I got the job. It was nothing to do with signings, we did it with the same players. It was all about confidence.”

Unfortunately, this considerable feat was overshadowed by the furore over Tevez, who went eventually to Manchester United, and Curbishley began his rebuilding job. “At the end of the season I said to all the players, ‘Do you want to go or stay?’ Anybody who intimated he wasn’t happy, went.”

Until Ashton, Faubert, Parker, Dyer, Ljungberg, Bellamy et al are available, West Ham are marking time.

“When I took the job, it was with a short-term brief to stay up, but with long-term objectives,” Curbishley said. “The plan is to grow the club, and I’ve bought into that. At Charlton, I had all sorts of get-out clauses in my contract; here there’s nothing like that.

“As a player, I came up through the ranks and had five years here, but I never really appreciated the size of the club and what it means to the community. The past 11 months have been an eye-opener. I’ll give you an example. Halfway through our bad run last season, I stopped at a garage and this guy came up and said, ‘We’re in the shit, aren’t we?’ When I agreed, he thrust his face right into mine and snarled, ‘f****** sort it out, then’. If it had been Charlton, the guy would have said: ‘We’re in a bit of bother, aren’t we?’, I’d have said, ‘Yeah’, and he’d have gone, ‘Don’t worry, we’ll be all right’. That’s some difference.” Sounds like ideal preparation for that England job.

Inside track Nicolas Anelka has scored six of Bolton’s 10 goals this season. No Englishman has been on the scoresheet Bolton have conceded 12 of their 17 goals in the first half of matches this season Despite being in the bottom half of the table, West Ham’s defensive record is bettered by only four other teams There has never been a 0-0 draw in this fixture Bolton have managed just one league win all season – 3-0 over Reading at the Reebok Stats supplied by statbunker.com
  • Options
    Thanks chaps. To be honest I'm not really sure what he's getting at?

One aggressive West Ham fan proves that they're a much bigger better club than us?! I don't know of he's having a dig or not. The quote seems completely irrelevant to the point he was making to me.
  • Options
    "That was rock bottom as far as I was concerned,” he said. “After the send-off Charlton had given me, when 26,000 gave me a standing ovation, I was getting slagged off by the same people and the West Ham lot too. It was horrible.” It didn’t seem like it at the time, but the tide started to turn in the next game, a defeat by Tottenham."

This bit, what bollocks.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah,but....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't remember us slagging him off in that West Ham game - what was he expecting? To bring his team of fellow relegation candidates to a London derby and us to give him another standing ovation? From what I recall he was largely ignored and what attention he did get was a round of applause.
  • Options
    Another unecessary dig at us.

"I'm not used to big away crowds, I'm not used to such vocal support, west ham are such a big club, west ham fans are so passionate, blah, blah, blah.......

He really is such an a***hole!!!
  • Options
    He's gone down in my estimations. I know he needs to talk up West Ham to the Hammers fans but he doesn't have to put us down at the same time.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    His time with us i always felt was like an arranged marriage.

He didnt really love us but stuck with us because it was the "right thing to do".

In the end, he was a huge and integral part of the club for 15 years and i appreciate the work he done for us. The stand being named after him is looking less and less likely though.

Lets leave it now guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Another unecessary dig at us.

"I'm not used to big away crowds, I'm not used to such vocal support, west ham are such a big club, west ham fans are so passionate, blah, blah, blah.......

To be fair. What is he supposed to say?

If it was the other way around and someone we brought in said that we were much bigger / better etc than his previous club, we'd all be pleased for it.

He's only said it to keep the fans on side. Every player / manager does it when they move.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]He's only said it to keep the fans on side. Every player / manager does it when they move.

I don't recall Pards coming out with anything like that but Curbishley has never exactly been known for tact and diplomacy, has he?

Personally I couldn't give a toss anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]

If it was the other way around and someone we brought in said that we were much bigger / better etc than his previous club, we'd all be pleased for it.

He's only said it to keep the fans on side. Every player / manager does it when they move.

I've no problem bigging up the west ham fans but as Czech Addick says, why does it have to be at our expense?
  • Options
    Nolan ruined my predictions for this week, I would have had 3 out of 3 results spot-on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]

I've no problem bigging up the west ham fans but as Czech Addick says, why does it have to be at our expense?

Cos we're the only other club he's managed I would assume.

To be honest he can say what he likes. I respect him and am grateful to him for the job he did for did for us, but he's not CAFC anymore and therefore I dont care what he says. It will always have a Claret and Blue tint to it and I wouldnt expect anything less.
  • Options
    Agreed Dan.
  • Options
    He's under a lot of pressure at West Ham, and we're the easy target, take it as a compliment, and lets do em 4-0 next season as well
  • Options
    The last 3 posts have been spot on lads.

He's bound to put a spin on his new club (and the one he supoorted as a kid etc.... bla bla bla) and he only has us to compare against.
    Still, it lacks in diplomacy ever so slightly and lets hope he lasts this season so we can turn them over at upton park next time around.
  • Options
    Alan Curbishley did a fantastic job for our club and I don't forget or change my good opinion of him, but that also doesn’t mean I can't get a bit p@ssed of if he is having a pop.

The passion he shows for his beloved spammers does stick in the throat at times; I am not naive enough to expect every one paid to be in a red shirt to feel as passionately as we the supporters do. The longevity of his service and the fact he created what we were during our successful rise from obscurity though does make you think the club meant something to him as well.

When he was watching from the side for us he showed composure and little emotion as though it was a case of keeping your head while all about lose etc. Now there is a stark contrast to his personality when in West Hams technical area hence the water bottle being thrown accompanied by a F**k or two from his lips at the moment Bolton scored.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]When he was watching from the side for us he showed composure and little emotion as though it was a case of keeping your head while all about lose etc. Now there is a stark contrast to his personality when in West Hams technical area hence the water bottle being thrown accompanied by a F**k or two from his lips at the moment Bolton scored.[/quote]
    yea definitely,never noticed him getting as animated in the last few seasons he was with us
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]When he was watching from the side for us he showed composure and little emotion as though it was a case of keeping your head while all about lose etc. Now there is a stark contrast to his personality when in West Hams technical area hence the water bottle being thrown accompanied by a F**k or two from his lips at the moment Bolton scored.
    That's rubbish, having sat behind him for close to 13 years i can assure you that he lost his head, kicked water bottles and swore on a regular basis. It was just we were little old Charlton and it didnt get shown in the papers, on the tv etc.
  • Options
    The expectations at West Ham with Eggy's money and therefore the pressures are considerably higher than during most if not all of his time with us.

I suggest that he is feeling that pressure and reacting accordingly rather than deliberately trying to belittle us.