Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Attention Henry - regarding the arrest this morning and london -

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
tonight.

Thats snooty women on london tonight has just reported that 40 !! charlton fans we're arrested this morning on dawn raids ......... which is totally wrongit was palace fans. Get reg to get them to do a public appology as this statement would look bad to the outside world.

Infact get Grady to sack her and get rid of the sexist loose women show aswell !!!!

Comments

• Options
    the damage has been done! and varney makes my skin crawl,he incites trouble in the past,no when to shut up some people
  • Options
    Thanks,

Can you give me some more details.

What's her name and when did she say this?

I'll get on it.

Ben
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]the damage has been done! and varney makes my skin crawl,he incites trouble in the past,no when to shut up some people[/quote]

You may not like him but when has he incited trouble.
  • Options
    Henry. Katie Durumn said it was charlton fans who were arrested.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Henry. Katie Durumn said it was charlton fans who were arrested.[/quote]

Cheers.
  • Options
    Katie Derham's her name.

London Tonight's produced by ITN - telephone 020 7833 3000.
  • Options
    Henry, I would like to echo Pete's sentiments and stress that you should also try and get the club to contact Sky Sports News and get them to clarify their report a little more accurately. Having watched this earlier I was disgusted that it failed to mention the loyalties of the fans arrested this morning, insinuating that it could have perhaps been Charlton fans - when it clearly wasn't. All of those arrested and involved at the shocking events at Sydenham Station where innocent Charlton fans were randomly attacked were all Crystal Palace. I have since this evening sent a stroppy email to Sky Sports, but I should imagine something coming from the club might carry a little more weight! Thank you.
  • Options
    its been seen now,the best we can get is a quick apology on air
  • Options
    'its been seen now,the best we can get is a quick apology on air'

.... and sponsorship of all the boards around the ground replacing say 3 quarters of the Llanera boards.
  • Options
    lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you'd think it was relatively easy to report that 15 scum fans got nicked for bashing kids and their parents on a crowded train on the way to a football match wouldn't you? what a joke
  • Options
    Maybe london tonight should also show the london football league clubs midweek goals aswell.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]Henry, I would like to echo Pete's sentiments and stress that you should also try and get the club to contact Sky Sports News and get them to clarify their report a little more accurately. Having watched this earlier I was disgusted that it failed to mention the loyalties of the fans arrested this morning, insinuating that it could have perhaps been Charlton fans - when it clearly wasn't. All of those arrested and involved at the shocking events at Sydenham Station where innocent Charlton fans were randomly attacked were all Crystal Palace. I have since this evening sent a stroppy email to Sky Sports, but I should imagine something coming from the club might carry a little more weight! Thank you.[/quote]

Trying but difficult at this time of night to raise anyone. Rang the number but just an answer phone.
  • Options
    Michael Grade must knows the news editor of itv henry
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Michael Grade must knows the news editor of itv henry[/quote]

sure he does but can't get hold of MG right now.
  • Options
    London Tonight newsroom number is 020 7430 4000
  • Options
    just rung them and they say old bill told them it was charlton fans.bloody disgusting.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited November 2007
    Just watched the Sky coverage, my Mrs. recorded it at lunchtime. We knew the raids were planned as one of people attacked is a friend of ours, and he's been kept totally informed by the Club and British Transport Police.

Didn't say anything about who they were "alleged" to support, but did say that they mindlessly attacked Charlton Fans including kids.

Not surprised about London Tonight, here's hoping for a full apology tomorrow night!
  • Options
    Katie Derham tomorrow say's 'i would like to appologise to pete tong who was offended by my remarks'
  • Options
    Just watched London Tonight on the BBC 10.30pm and they didn't mention either club in the 15 second slot. They just said that 14 men had been arrested in South London and Kent in relationship to serious football related violence matters in September this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ITV quite clearly said it was believed that it was fans of Charlton Athletic that had been arrested in South London, Kent and Sussex at 11pm.....How strange is that?
  • Options
    Its just another reason why you shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper or see on the news cos these lazy fcukers never check their facts out.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]just rung them and they say old bill told them it was charlton fans.bloody disgusting.
    here's the media release from the police at 12.15 earlier today............ http://www.btp.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=839&NewsAreaID=2
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]ITV quite clearly said it was believed that it was fans of Charlton Athletic that had been arrested in South London, Kent and Sussex at 11pm.....How strange is that?

Haven't seen ITV's coverage, but Sky Sports News said it was an attack on a train containing Charlton fans.

Presume Tel-in-Oz means BBC London News in his earlier post, not London Tonight.

You can complain to ITV directly (dutyoffice@itv.com) and/or complain to Ofcom - just one complaint and Ofcom has to investigate, and has the power to force on-screen apologies. Here's the complaints page at Ofcom.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think the press release was mis-read and therefore mis-quoted as it only states that there were Charlton fans on the train. It fails to point out that the 40 who joined the train were Palace supporters. So can sort of see how a dumb news producer made the mistake. Recognition of the error, an apology and correction of the facts are required however.
  • Options
    Thanks Inspector Sands....Ive just sent off an email...about time these reporters got their facts right.....it always seems to impact on us in a negative light somehow. And yes BBC London news, not London tonight were the reporters that didnt mention either club.
  • Options
    PRESS RELEASE

Thursday, November 8, 2007

MASS RAIDS ACROSS LONDON AND SOUTHERN HOME COUNTIES AS TRANSPORT POLICE CRACKDOWN ON FOOTBALL DISORDER

British Transport Police have arrested 14 men in a series of dawn raids across south London, Sussex and Kent today following a serious and violent football-related disorder on a train.

BTP has been investigating the incident which occurred at Sydenham railway station on Saturday, September 1, 2007.

The incident occurred at about 14.20pm and involved a group of up to 40 males who boarded a train when it arrived at Sydenham station and began a series of random attacks on passengers within two carriages of the train.

The train contained Charlton Athletic supporters travelling to a game at Crystal Palace as well as ordinary members of the public including women, children and the elderly.

A 24-year-old man Charlton Athletic fan suffered a broken nose in the incident. Several other passengers were head butted, punched and verbally abused. During the incident, which was captured on CCTV, the offenders are seen using bottles and cans as weapons.

BTP Detective Inspector Keith Bennett said Operation Dispatch was set-up to investigate the violent disorder, and involved up to 150 officers from the BTP as well as officers from the Metropolitan Police.

DI Bennett said: “A majority of the incident was captured on CCTV, which was used by police to identify a group of individuals, including known risk supporters.

“In the early hours of this morning police conducted a series of raids on 17 addresses at locations across South London, Sussex and Kent.

“Police executed search warrants and arrested 14 men on suspicion of violent disorder.

“The men are being interviewed by police today in relation to these offences.”

Those arrested could face up to five years in prison if charged with violent disorder.

DI Bennett said the arrests should serve as a warning to football hooligans that violence and disorder on the railways will not be tolerated.

He said: “Members of the travelling public, including law-abiding football fans, have the right to travel in safety and without fear of being assaulted or abused.”

THE ARRESTS INCLUDED:

1. A 40-year-old male from Clapham
    2. A 35-year-old male from Worthing
    3. A 45-year-old male from Wandsworth
    4. A 44-year-old male from Tulse Hill
    5. A 34-year-old male from Thornton Heath
    6. A 37-year-old male from Ashford, Kent
    7. A 16-year-old male from Purley
    8. A 22-year-old male from Croydon
    9. A 39-year-old male from Epsom
    10. A 20-year-old male from Purley
    11. A 32-year-old male from Caterham
    12. A 19-year-old male from New Addington
    13. A 21-year-old male from South Norwood
    14. A 29-year-old male from Dartford
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]the damage has been done! and varney makes my skin crawl,he incites trouble in the past,no when to shut up some people

How has Varney ever incited trouble?
  • Options
    heard from the club this morning that the press office and the CEO are on the case. Hopefully there will be a retraction and an apology.

Sloppy journalism. See the word "Charlton" and don't bother to read the press release properly.

Inspector, thanks for the complaints' addresses. The more people that complain the better IMHO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]heard from the club this morning that the press office and the CEO are on the case. Hopefully there will be a retraction and an apology.

Sloppy journalism. See the word "Charlton" and don't bother to read the press release properly.

Inspector, thanks for the complaints' addresses. The more people that complain the better IMHO.

Whoever wants to follow Ben in becomming the next freeloader fans director this is what you must be bang on with.

Well done mate (said not in jest either)