Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who has been the most under-achieving player for Charlton

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
We now have a mixed generation be it older and younger supporter contributing to the forum, what would be your nomination for the worst Charlton player and also which player ended up with the worst disciplinary record.

Comments

• Options
    Diawarra surely has to be up there. I would honestly say the worst I have seen.

Jeffers really did not contribute much either.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    El Khalej was without doubt the worst player I've ever seen wear the shirt. The one time I was tempted to boo a player, but I didn't.
  • Options
    Rommedahl - 1 goal aside he was soooooo frustrating!

If he had half a brain he could be a world beater. If he had CRONALDO's instinct to go forwards he could have been awesome.

Sadly - he was just a powder puff
  • Options
    Jesper Blomquist and Djimi Traore didn't exactly live up to their medals.
  • Options
    Let's not forget Redfearn.
  • Options
    Faye, the worst, bar none
  • Options
    I can't buy into all this Faye hatred, for me I thought at the start of last season he was our best signing, then all of a sudden the crowd seemed to decide collectively they didn't like him (let's disregard the goal at pompey and the performances he put in as a central midfielder playin at centre half) and that was it. I think Marcus Bent has a lot more to answer for as does Jeffers, along with Denise and Murphy, and most definately Redfearn before Faye. Fair one he wasn't he shrewdest buy but he surely wasn't the worst.
  • Options
    no question Denis.
  • Options
    Faye, by a country mile.

His performance at Forest in the FAC was as bad as it gets, he got subbed uninjured after 27 MINUTES he was so bad and he was rarely seen again after that, thank God.

I think it speaks volumes that Pardew had to bring in an 18 year-old debutant from Arsenal (Song) to replace a 2 million quid 29 year-old "proven Premiership" player for the second-half of the season.
  • Options
    Under achieving is easy - Dennis Rommedahl - to go his whole charlton career and not score a goal at the Valley is astonishing. Fantastci player, as he shows for country, and now Ajax and in glimpses for Charlton - Arsenal at home is one I would highlight where he rpaed Ashley Cole all afternoon. Yet the most frustrating player bar none I have ever seen. I personally blame Curbishley's negative management for that but that a debate for another day.

Faye didn't underachieve because he;s just a poor player and I think we all realised that fairly early on.

Jeffers and Marcus Bent are up there as well -Jeffers easily is one of the best finishers around Arsene Wenger doesn't buy English players that readily so he must have seen something but his injury record is a joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dennis
    Jeffers
    Faye
    Jesper
    JFH
    M Bent
  • Options
    John Barnes and Garath Crooks are a couple of names that spring to mind as well.
  • Options
    Crooksy was top goal scorer in 87/88, with 10 league goals. May have been relegated if it wasn't for some of them vital goals in the latter part of that season.
  • Options
    Kenny Achampong!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]John Barnes and Garath Crooks are a couple of names that spring to mind as well.[/quote]

Barnes and Crooks? Christ, that's ridiculous!!! Barnes came to us as a 36 year old and did his best for us in a short spell, whilst Crooks came for 75,000 in 1987 and helped keep us up for three seasons with his goals before we got relegated in his fourth season when he did not play because of injury.

I think Ledge is bang on about Rommedahl actually and would probably replace Faye with Denise as chief under-achiever and put Amdy into the chief pile of shite role.
  • Options
    Crooks also spent almost two years on the pay roll without kicking a ball and had to be made to retire when we needed money the most, seem to remember he was actually getting paid for reporting at the time as well. As for Barnes maybe I am being a bit unfair but I was so excited about him signing at the time and was disappointed he didn't win us the league and cup that year!
  • Options
    I think people are getting "under achieved" and "shit" mixed up

Dennis by a country mile
  • Options
    I thought that too.
    Yep, got to be Dennis, right to the end I was convinced he would finally delvier the goods for us! Yet there was still a ripple of excitement everytime he broke witht he ball.
  • Options
    I always found Matt Holland a big disappointment. Was raved about at Ipswich and bar 1 or 2 games for us, I have never understood why.

Runs about a lot but doesn't actually do anything.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]I always found Matt Holland a big disappointment. Was raved about at Ipswich and bar 1 or 2 games for us, I have never understood why.

Runs about a lot but doesn't actually do anything.[/quote]

Agreed, I want to rate Holland but he has just not really been that great for us apart from the odd game and his best years were with Ipswich in the 1999-2002 period.

As for Crooks, well, nobody can help being injured and having consulted the stats books I reckon that his 18 goals in 54 starts (with a further 17 subs apps) was pretty good value for a bloke who was nearly 30 when he joined us for a small fee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's not forget Bradley Allen

And through no fault of his own Gary Rowett he was a superb centre half and injury bollocksed his career up in turn I felt let down by him
  • Options
    Bradley Allen, Brendan O'Connell (perfect replacement for Bowyer said Curbs), Rommedahl, Murphy
  • Options
    Who was the player that came on away to Newcastle a couple of seasons ago and was never seen again?
  • Options
    in a few years time bougherra could well fit into this category
  • Options
    Denise - no contest.
  • Options
    Rommedahl easily, seemed like such a step forward for us to be signing a player like him which made the disappointment all the worse when he turned out to be useless.
  • Options
    Rommedahl wins it over a sustained period I think as the end product from an established international was negligible other than THAT GOAL under 4 managers.

Murphy would be a contender for me but for that purple patch with Kish and Smertin in 2005/6.

In the distant past we paid (by our standards) a lot of money for Terry Bullivant and he always disappointed me as, to a lesser extent, did Carl Harris another expensive player by our standards.

Players like JFH, Jeffers even John Barnes and going back further Maurice Setters were to some extent known gambles as they were either old or had lost their way so I've not really considered them.

Neither Bullivant nor Harris had the profile of Rommedahl before coming to Charlton though which is why he wins it hands down for me.
  • Options
    "Christ, that's ridiculous"!!! never knew he played for us!
  • Options
    I always thought that Carl Harris did a reasonable job for us. From memory, he was one of the only players who was anywhere near on the same wavelength as Simonsen.

I remember Terry Bullivant gave me and a mate a lift to the Valley from the training ground. We had bunked off school to watch them train and they switched the venue at the last minute. Drove a crappy old Datsun.
  • Options
    I was gonna say Traore, played at Champions League Level for Liverpool including a winning Final, but in truth was not even Championship level.

However for consistent under achievement it has to be Rommedhal, the player had all the attributes for the league, had the pedigree, but consistently wasted every opportunity to make himself a cafc Legend.