Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who has been the most under-achieving player for Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Too many to list really but Denise, Cashinthebank, Faye would be up there amongst Gary Poole, Blomquist, McCauley, McCammon.....

Worst high profile though has to be Traore
  • Options
    Ray Crawford
    Alan Dugdale
    Alan Davies
    Mike Small

To name but a few from the old days
  • Options
    Mark Robson (as a player, not a coach)
    Les Reed (as a manager not a coach)
    Cory Gibbs
    John Barnes
    Colin Pates
    to name a few.
  • Options
    It gotta be Cory Gibbs - I havent seen have a decent game of football yet.
  • Options
    Barry Endean
  • Options
    I thought Barnes was pretty good when he came to us. Played a holding role and never gave the ball away although he was in size 42 shorts by that age...
  • Options
    No question, Karim Bagheri.

Played 20 mins for us away at Ipswich and that was it. So much hype when he came to us and, whilst a Charlton player, scored 6 goals in an international...
  • Options
    thats who i was trying to think of earlier Medders, I thought it was Newcastle that he came on.
  • Options
    Kim Grant for me, when he broke into the team we thought we had a natural successor to Paul Williams, but he never lived up to.
  • Options
    i too thought no contest, it has to be dennis.

then i remembered (and i cant believe no-one else has mentioned) when we were in the top flight in the 80's, we signed a player that had scored 15 european goals.
    step forward ralph milne.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You know I was sitting here racking my brains earlier trying to remember Ralph Milne's name.....just shows you what an impression he left eh? All I could think of, was him joining Fergie at Man Utd and thinking to myself it must be another player with the same name!
  • Options
    He's fat, he's round, his arse is on the ground..Ralphie Milne..Ralphie Milne.

I always remember that being sung at him when we played Man u away in 1988.

He then pops up with the first goal in a 3 nil defeat.
  • Options
    Seem to remember him having one good game, a stormer against Watford when he scored the winner (I think) in a 4-3 at sellout
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I always thought that Carl Harris did a reasonable job for us. From memory, he was one of the only players who was anywhere near on the same wavelength as Simonsen.

I remember Terry Bullivant gave me and a mate a lift to the Valley from the training ground. We had bunked off school to watch them train and they switched the venue at the last minute. Drove a crappy old Datsun.

Harris could be good but he would often bottle out of 50:50 balls which irritated me at the time, also I believe it was non- payment in full of his (by our standards) expensive fee that set off the events that almost put us out of business.

That also colours my view of him a bit if I'm honest. Unfair I know!
  • Options
    LOL shirty5 i was there that day, we also sang your never win the title! how many times have they won it since? lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I thought Barnes was pretty good when he came to us. Played a holding role and never gave the ball away although he was in size 42 shorts by that age...

Totally agree T. I thought he was so classy!
  • Options
    It begins - and ends with Ralph 'fat arse' Milne.

Most overrated, useless ponce I've ever seen. We've had worse (far worse) but none as overrated as he was.

Crooks was OK for us - he might have been winding down, but don't think he ever put in less than 100% effort. Barnes too was pretty good for a fat git who couldn't run - some of his passing was sublime.

Mike Small was utter toss as well.

Of the recent vintage, it has to be Dennis - purely because he IS a decent player - witness his current form for Ajax, but never produced for us other than in extremely rare bursts of form.
  • Options
    Dennis as well for me sadly.

And to a much lesser extent of under achieving, Leaburn. Prolific scorer at youth level, if he had been gently eased into the side rather than kept there when we had no one else, it might of been a very different story. Don't want to open that debate again though !
  • Options
    Well Leaburn scored less than 60 goals in 14 years of league action i think,about 4 a year. He signed for the dons in '98 for £200,000 4 goals in 55 starts, he was given a free in 2001 went to qpr and made 1 apperance as a sub and didn't score.Not very good IMO.
  • Options
    Leaburn?! LEGEND!

He was the player that taught me the charlton way (i don't know if that's a good thing or not looking back!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joe McLaughlin has to be another one
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose .

Someone tell me what he REALLY has done ?

At least Dennis scored the winner against the scum
  • Options
    Phil Chappel
    kim Grant
    Patrick McCarthy
    Steve Dowman
    Terry Bullivant

Cant believe Carl Harris is mentioned, he had a few quality games for us. remember him scoring in a win at Elland Road.
  • Options
    Dennis & Redfearn were players with big reputations which they didn't live up to. Traore & Faye are just shit players that we played too much for. I remember going on Newcastles message board the day we signed Faye & they were laughing at the price we paid. He was also voted their worst ever player in an unnofficial poll. Sadly i think he still has a year left on his contract, so when Rangers decide not to take up the option on him, he'll be back on our payroll. Liverpool fans used to have a song about Traore, he was that bad...'don't blame it on hammann, don't blame it on Finnan, don't blame it on Nunez, blame it on Traore'. Even though that muppet Dowie forked out £2 million for him, I think it was a good bit of business by Pards, getting Redknapp to pay £1 million.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]thats who i was trying to think of earlier Medders, I thought it was Newcastle that he came on.

Definitely Ipswich mate...
  • Options
    I thought it was Oxford away in which the moustachioed Iranian wonder made his one and only appearance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I thought it was Oxford away in which the moustachioed Iranian wonder made his one and only appearance

No it was away to Ipswich, he came on for about 10-15mins and was never seen again
  • Options
    With regards to Murphy he was in the top 3 for level of assists in the Premiership when he left us. After Curbs slagged him off for getting sent off against Arsenal thats when he stopped playing well. However, no one can deny from the beginning of the season to xmas he was superb with Smertin in the centre of midfield.

His performances were leagues ahead of Diawarra, Faye etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PalaceHater[/cite]With regards to Murphy he was in the top 3 for level of assists in the Premiership when he left us. After Curbs slagged him off for getting sent off against Arsenal thats when he stopped playing well. However, no one can deny from the beginning of the season to xmas he was superb with Smertin in the centre of midfield.

His performances were leagues ahead of Diawarra, Faye etc

Agreed but he needed two workhorses behind him to do all his tackling for him in Smertin and Kish. His passing was quality but I think he went shit before Curbs slated him for his red card, it was the second he realised he was not going to get in the England squad again. A lot of teams all of a sudden found him very easy to mark and that must have been mid November at a guess. That's the problem with players like Murphy, you need to accomodate them and change the whole shape of the side for them to fit in.
  • Options
    You make a good point but no one can deny that with Murphy in the team we had a lot more chances. Bent especially would have scored even more goals that season if he had Murphy's through balls etc in our style of play.