Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Football Club - Ebbsfleet / Eurostar FC takeover

2»

Comments

• Options
    another club to moan about Valley Express
  • Options
    I think this is an utter gimmick that will back fire big time. I hope not for the sake of the Ebbsfleet fans.

As a matter of interest did these other clubs turn their approaches down?
  • Options
    I feel that the board at the Fleet have sold their small band of loyal supporters up the river, firstly with the name change and now this ridiculous stunt. I'm sure it will all end in tears, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 'Gravesend & Northfleet AFC' competing in the lower reaches of the Ryman League in a couple of years, as the actual Fleet supporters will be left to pick up the pieces.
  • Options
    Gillingham - Move to Cuxton was, I believe,stalled by Medway Council, they were after land near the "Leisure Park" (Under the M2). For those that know the are, it's the plot of land to the left of the road into the "Leisure Park" - right on the Medway.

As Ebbsfleet are my local team, I'd love to see them climb into the league (not at the expense of Charlton though). You're right in saying they sold their soul when they changed their name, part of it was to stop Penfold moving his club to the area.

This is dangerous though. Could you imagine Pards allowing us to pick the team? Do we see the players very day? Do we see their potential? This could be a spectacular success, it could be an absolute disaster and I'd hate to see the Fleet go the way of Dartford, Maidstone etc...
  • Options
    Oi Sir Henry - BDL has stumbled on a great idea.....For one match only (after we have clinched the CC Championship as champions) perhaps we could go for this fans vote for the starting eleven. I'll bet that it wont be too far short of SAP team sheet and he could also pick his reserves.
  • Options
    In some respects this idea of the fans voting for the team could work although I'm not convinced at all.

The problem with Ebbsfleet is that the subscribers to 'My Football Club' are not Ebbsfleet fans and won't be going to the matches. How then, can they decide who deserves a place in the team.

On the other hand if they all went in order to be able to make a good choice, Ebbsfleet would be getting 20,000 at home every week!
  • Options
    errr... they don't decide who deserves a place in the team, the manager does. The co-op style "owners" only vote on decisions off the pitch so as to determine the direction of the the club as an organisation. On field matters are left to the manager and the footballing staff.* It couldn't work otherwise.

*As I understand it.
  • Options
    Liam Diash is now only first team coach and no longer manager. He makes his recommendations before each game on what he thinks the team should be, but the members vote and decide on the actual line-up and he has to go with their choice *

* As I understand it
  • Options
    As I understand it, I understand nothing. ;-)
  • Options
    As i understand it, it's bonkers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been approved, 95% of members decided it was a good idea. From the BBC:

Members of fans' website MyFootballClub have approved the takeover of Blue Square Premier side Ebbsfleet United.
    More than 18,000 members cast their votes in the past week on the £635,000 takeover, with 95.8% deciding on the purchase of the Kent club.

Fleet manager Liam Daish was backed by the same percentage of members to carry out any plans he has for the January transfer window.

MyFootballClub has 27,278 members who had until Wednesday to cast their vote.

MyFootballClub creator Will Brooks said: "We believe it is the first community website takeover of its kind in the world, not only in football."

In November MyFootballClub announced it had reached agreement with Ebbsfleet - formerly known as Gravesend & Northfleet until last summer - to buy control of the club.

Each of its members have paid £35 to provide a £700,000 takeover pot and, should the majority back the move to acquire a 75% controlling stake, all will own an equal share in the club.

As long as everyone takes it as seriously as the players, and I and the coaching staff do, then I don't see any problem

When the deal goes through, MyFootballClub will assist manager Liam Daish - whose job title will change to "head coach" - with funds for the January transfer window.

In a landmark for English football, members will vote on player selection, transfers and all major decisions.

The first "internet" team selection is scheduled for March.

"It's a wonderful opportunity for the club," said Brian Kilcullen, who will take over as interim chairman from club chairman Jason Botley.

"It's been great to see Ebbsfleet fans and new supporters from around the world coming together, both at Stonebridge Road and online."

Daish's contract will be extended by a year to the end of the 2008/09 season as part of the deal and the Ebbsfleet boss backed the buyout.

"This will enable us to carry on at this level," Daish told BBC Radio Kent.

"I don't envisage getting £20,000 for a player, but I hope to be able to get a couple of bodies in and secure the players who are here already.

"Barring John Akinde everybody's contract is up at the end of the season. It will secure the services of these players and help them to push on to the next level."

But Daish urged members not to treat team selection as a computer game.

"They're dealing with a bunch of players whose livelihoods are at stake. They support their families with what they earn here, they don't earn anything else," he added.

"As long as everyone takes it as seriously as the players, and I and the coaching staff do, then I don't see any problem."

MyFootballClub members unable to attend Ebbsfleet's matches will have to familiarise themselves with the squad via the website.

A free match highlights package is to be made available to members along with a player statistic and analysis facility.

Ebbsfleet were formerly Gravesend & Northfleet but the club's name was changed in May in a bid to tap into the regeneration of the area.

They are ninth in the Blue Square Premier, three points off a play-off place for entry to the Football League.

The Financial Services Authority has approved the setting up of the MyFootballClub Trust to safeguard members' interests in the eventuality of the club running into financial difficulties.