Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Think we need to Sign Danny Mills now!

TELTEL
edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Before anybody else gets wind of how well he is playing....actually Id make him captain too! Inspirational stuff Danny, and so pleased to have you back in a red shirt.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed, still a great player and I'm still a bit shocked that he's back!
  • Options
    Reidy was given captaincy in return for promising to ignore any offers in January.
    Otherwise Mills'd be a great captain.

Citeh would be glad to get him off their books, they're paying a fair old chunk of his wages - to sign him up would involve him taking a big pay cut, which there is no need for him to do, or for us to pay him a lot more than we are doing at the moment, so not in our interests either.

Perhaps we could come to a deal with City where they pay us to sign him.
  • Options
    Think he'd be a great signing, definately been one of best couple of players so far this season. Alas, it may all come down to wages, whilst Danny looks like he is enjoying his football how much of a paycut would you be prepared to take if you had a family?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Think he'd be a great signing, definately been one of best couple of players so far this season. Alas, it may all come down to wages, whilst Danny looks like he is enjoying his football how much of a paycut would you be prepared to take if you had a family?
    i'm pretty sure he and his family could survive on £10,000 a week ratherr than £20,000 mate!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Think he'd be a great signing, definately been one of best couple of players so far this season. Alas, it may all come down to wages, whilst Danny looks like he is enjoying his football how much of a paycut would you be prepared to take if you had a family?
    i'm pretty sure he and his family could survive on £10,000 a week ratherr than £20,000 mate!

Whilst put in that simplest terms yes I would agree, but Just saying that if YOU are on say £25-30k a week & are used to it over several years taking a drop to say less than £10k a week even if you are regularly playing is not as easy as people would have you believe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Whilst put in that simplest terms yes I would agree, but Just saying that if YOU are on say £25-30k a week & are used to it over several years taking a drop to say less than £10k a week even if you are regularly playing is not as easy as people would have you believe.

It's all about Danny taking a calculated risk.

Does he take the pay cut this year, play regular football and stand a shout at a promotion, or does he go back to Man City earning well but not getting in the first team but being comfortable to see him into his retirement and ensure his family are looked after.

I would imagine as Danny has spent most of his career at a Premiership club he has earned enough to be comfortable and not have to worry too much about retirement. Hence I would hope he choses regular football and adulation over an easy turn at citeh.
  • Options
    Our problem in signing him is that he's doing so well that a lower Prem club could offer more wages than us and give him a chance to get Prem exposure, even if they only sign him on loan in Jan. I hope he goes for the stability that we offer but he's bound to have a few clubs sniffing now he's found a bit of form.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how long he has left on his City contract?
  • Options
    Totally agree sign him now
  • Options
    Why sign him - he doesn't have a serious injury....yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All very well saying he should take a pay cut to sign, but i still think unless we are promoted he will be above our budget, even with a huge pay cut.

He is doing brilliant for us, and i'm loving seeing him playing, but it would be a fair chunk of our salary budget going on a right back, and not a young one at that.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Sal The Lad[/cite] Reidy was given captaincy in return for promising to ignore any offers in January.

Is this Locked On Fact or Heard through the East Stand Grape Vine type of Fact?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]All very well saying he should take a pay cut to sign, but i still think unless we are promoted he will be above our budget, even with a huge pay cut.

He is doing brilliant for us, and i'm loving seeing him playing, but it would be a fair chunk of our salary budget going on a right back, and not a young one at that.

I've already told him, if he doesn't sign, take a pay cut and give a third of his reduced salary to Demelza, I'm gonna block his Charlton Life account.

I think he got the message ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sal The Lad[/cite]Reidy was given captaincy in return for promising to ignore any offers in January.

Is thisLocked OnFact orHeard through the East Stand Grape Vinetype of Fact?

Pards said that FACT
  • Options
    His track record suggests he's the last player to 'take a risk' when it comes to his wages.
  • Options
    As I understand it, he has turned 30 now....if we were to offer him a 3 year deal with a sweetner if we get promotion, then I think we would have a good chance of securing him. I hope so anyway....I cant understand any club offering a player the captaincy to ensure he stays....no player should be bigger than the club, and if Reidy is that fickle, then offload him for as much as we can....I have to say I hope its just urban myth.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]and if Reidy is that fickle, then offload him for as much as we can....I have to say I hope its just urban myth.
    And that would help how?

It's not as if he is not playing well or anything. I think it was more of Pards realising that an offer may come in and he just wanted a gentleman's agreement that he wouldnt go. I think Reid has been a decent captain to be honest: shows passion, leads by example and all good things go through him.
  • Options
    i definitely remember reading somewhere that pards said he had a "gentlemans agreement" with reidy that he would make him captain so that he got his head down and played well for the whole season and didn't jump ship in jan which reid accepted. It does seem reid is relishing being the centre piece to everything so sadly maybe pards saw that that is what was needed.
  • Options
    Don't forget we have Moo2kill, keep Millsywhile we can, but don't break the bank or go offering 3 yr contracts to 30yr olds.
  • Options
    You've also got to remember that Danny's family are living oop North I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They must be working on a plan to keep him at least until the end of the season. When we signed him it was orginally as emergency cover for Moo2. Mills performances have been top draw and he's now impossible to drop. as a minimum we must secure him on loan to the end of the season with an option to purchase if we are promoted.
  • Options
    Would love to keep Mills and hopefully it will happen but remember he's a Man City player so it is their call, and Danny's, if he stays with us, goes back or even goes somewhere else.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Would love to keep Mills and hopefully it will happen but remember he's a Man City player so it is their call, and Danny's, if he stays with us, goes back or even goes somewhere else.

That's obviously right Henry but unless Moo2 is going to at least be on a par with him, then surely we need to try and get him? If not then somebody similar.

Personally I think he's playing at the top of his game and given he has played at the highest level, then his loss to us will be a pretty big blow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Would love to keep Mills and hopefully it will happen but remember he's a Man City player so it is their call, and Danny's, if he stays with us, goes back or even goes somewhere else.

Man City have already said he can leave. When interviewed in August Eriksson didn't even know if Mills had left permanently or on loan, which indicates Mills doesn't feature in his plans. It's just a case of being able to agree wages and afford fee for him if it's not a free transfer. I suspect when we signed him there was provisions made incase we wanted to make the deal permanent, so hopefully he'll be ours in January.
  • Options
    What are the odds on Luke Young snapping his cruciate over Xmas and Southgate needing a quick replacement.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]What are the odds on Luke Young snapping his cruciate over Xmas and Southgate needing a quick replacement.[/quote]

No way that's going to happen. Mills seriously burned his bridges when he left Boro by slagging off McLaren and there's no way they want him back, their fans never liked him when he was there anyway.
  • Options
    Why sign Mills when Citeh are still paying his wages?

We have him on-loan until January, and then offer him a two and a half year deal, he'd take it if it means regular football at a stable club. The alternative is go back to Man City, go on loan to another CCC club and then shift around looking for work, someone like Mills, with a family will take stability over maybe a higher wage but riskier future.
  • Options
    Are City now paying all Danny's wages, or are Leeds still contributing a large chunk? Just because Risdale was a mug to pay him so highly doesn't mean he will expect to be on the gravy train forever.
  • Options
    I remember reading somewhere that Leeds stopped paying the wages of Danny Mills, Robbie Fowler etc at the end of last season, which is another reason why Man City would like him off their books. Who is paying his wages now I don't know, but I doubt that Charlton are in for 100%. As I understand it every loan agreement is different, with sometimes the loaner paying the wages, other times the loanee, and sometimes they split the cost. Probably Charlton are paying some chunk of his wages, but have no desire to take on the full whack.
  • Options
    If Danny was up for it, Charlton could probably get Citeh to extend the loan until the end of season, if regs allow.
    He's a free agent then, I believe. And if we get promoted would be in a position to offer signing on fee plus Prem wages.